advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Old plaster patching (and strengthening)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 28, 2020 02:34PM
I have a wall with my thermostat mounted that is very thin. This was apparently home to sliding doors that are now history, but the wall consists only of a thinlayer of lathe and old horse hair plaster. I'm trying to come up with a solution that will be strong enough to hold a thermostat (very light) but also where if said thermostat is bumped, it won't break loose a large section of the plaster (this is essentially what already occurred, although I got lucky and the pieces are about the size ofba quarter).
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Old plaster patching (and strengthening)
Posted by: MikeF
Date: April 28, 2020 02:56PM
Fiberglass mesh drywall joint tape with skim coat over. You can get the tape in 2", 6", or 36" width depending on how much of the wall you want to redo (at Home Depot and I'm sure other places). Or 1/4 drywall over whole wall (see other posts about issues with this)...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 28, 2020 03:27PM
Thanks. I only want to strengthen this one area, as the rest of the wall is original you the house and (mostly) matches the other walls.

I could certainly build out a bit as you suggest, but I'm wondering about strengthening with some anchoring that could hold something superficial from behind.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: April 28, 2020 03:55PM
How about command strips instead of screws to hang your thermostat?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 28, 2020 05:06PM
photos would help.

there's something like this, but I bet its more involved than you need - [www.youtube.com]

I really like this stuff for patching - [www.homedepot.com]

its lighter than regular plaster and is considerably stronger. I've used to fill holes the size of my fist (was removing sconces). that said, I'd want to make sue I was anchoring into another material such as lathe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2020 05:08PM by mattkime.
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 28, 2020 05:23PM
The stuff Matt linked is good stuff.
HD also has small metal wall plates that would be stronger than the fiber tape alone. You could cover it with the stuff Matt linked to and it would be pretty strong.

[www.homedepot.com]

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 241
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018