advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
2018 Mac Mini Owners--Happy with your purchase? Anything you'd change?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 29, 2020 07:58PM
I'm thinking about buyin one of these to replace my 2010 Mac Pro--pick up some speed, save some electricity, save a ton space.....(have a new toy--shhh, don't tell Mrs. Anonymouse.....)

So I'm wondering if y'all are happy with yours? I'll be using mine for writing, surfing, light (non-pro) graphics, video, and audio editing, etc. Monitors will probably be two 2k screens; I figure if I upgrade to 2 4k screens I can add an external Thunderbolt graphics card.

And I'm also thinking I'll start with a 128GB or 256GB storage model, and add nvme cards with either USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt.

Your experiences and thoughts are invited!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 2018 Mac Mini Owners--Happy with your purchase? Anything you'd change?
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 29, 2020 08:08PM
Sounds solid. refurb?

They support two 4K out of the box... I would want one bigger 4K and a smaller 27"/24" non 4K myself.

[www.apple.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 29, 2020 08:08PM
I'm absolutely thrilled with my 3.6 i3 16GB 128GB

But then, I bought it for $450 with 1 1/2 years of APP still attached on ebay :-)

I'm using the 128GB as the boot drive and have added 1TB SSD and 2TB HDD via usb3. I have adapting cable coming so I can plug into the TB ports freeing up some of the USB. It's plugged into my cheap samsung 4k TV - looks great!

FYI, I'm using a 'Pluggable' 2TB NVMe TB3 external drive as a boot drive for my 2017 iMac and it's wonderful. Another cheap ebay purchase otherwise, I'd never do it. The USB drives seem to peak at about 1000MB/s. This Pluggable rates 2400/1800 r/w - OWC's TB3 drives are even faster I think.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: April 29, 2020 08:30PM
Wonderful machine!!!

500GB SSD, 16GB RAM.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: Bo
Date: April 29, 2020 10:27PM
Hmm...hate to rain on the parade but I don't necessarily love mine.

2018 3.2GHz Intel Core i7 500GB SSD and 32GB RAM connected to 40" 4k display

Solid machine no doubt but I think in the end this is my own fault and comes down to trying a new setup and simply not being completely thrilled with it.

Historically I have been an iMac guy. They've always worked well for my needs and have been rock solid in my experience. The 27" display was just no longer enough for me as one of my primary uses is doing CAD work and I really wanted to run a larger display (and have limited desk space which precludes dual monitors). I also am not much of a laptop person as I don't want to always be available to work. I work at my desk and enjoy my life away from my desk.

The good stuff:
  • Pretty solid speed for most things (though didn't "feel" as fast as I thought it would)
  • Nice small form factor that can be mounted under my desk

The frustrating stuff:
  • I find that not having the built in GPU really bogs down my work*
  • Lack of built in camera...I miss this now more than ever
  • Pretty weak internal speaker means I have to run an external speaker

*I know I can add an external GPU but that is a big add'l box to clutter up the setup and it is very difficult to navigate which card/box combo would be the most helpful for my CAD setup. And that with the added camera and speakers defeats the whole purpose of having a nice compact CPU. I think I am just better served by an iMac...just really wish they'd do a 32" or larger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2020 10:30PM by Bo.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 30, 2020 04:20AM
I'm ok with mine, but not awed — 3.0 i5, 16G, 128G.

It's not particularly faster than my 2012/500G 300MX SSD, except on opening large files.

Day to day mundane stuff opens casually. I want lightning quick.

Opening a large video is a little faster but not inspiring.

If I had it to do over again, I would have waited for the 2020 mini.

It was only a few months later.

Otherwise, I should have got 256G of storage. 128 is just too small, even though I fully intended/intend to go external PCIe and 32G memory at some point.

The GPU is weak, as was expected, but a slight improvement over my 2012.

One note on the speaker – it's not much of one, but it was never intended to be a day to day speaker since Day One (2005). Never. The mini was designed to lure PC users away from their beige boxes of which 99.9% had 'computer' speakers attached.

So yes, Apple could have put even just one MBP speaker in the mini and have it sound much better than stock, but still not as good as a MBP because of space constraints. So you should have seen that one coming.

I would have a hard time recommending the 2018 now that there's the 2020, unless you could get one loaded (or can do some DIY) and cheap. Not being a horse trader, I'm not really willing to off it and get a 2020, but that would be my preference.

If somebody made a $200 eGPU that increased the performance significantly, I'd probably go that route. I will take the mini to 32G RAM.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2020 04:21AM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: dk62
Date: April 30, 2020 08:21AM
Love mine. 3.2 i7, 16/500. I am not sure how a webcam significantly adds to the bulk of two 27 inch 4K monitors. I do not remember the last time I did not have the desktop computer attached to external audio, so the speaker is not a concern either. I do not do much of graphics and any video editing is of home movies using iMovie. I am considering eGPU from time to time, but I have a feeling it would not really help with the kind of things I do.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 30, 2020 08:44AM
No issues with mine, 3.2 i7, 32/500. I bought it with the base ram and upgraded it to 32 myself. Buy the best processor and ssd you can. Skimp on the RAM as you can upgrade that. I haven't had any real issues. I do a little photo processing and a fair amount on Fusion 360. The later has had a few hiccups, but I'm not sure that it's the computer.

I don't like the idea of an all in one. Too limiting on screen size choices, plus I like to use a VESA mount. I've had an external speaker for longer than I can remember and a really good logitech webcam, so not having these built in aren't an issue. I really wish that Apple would put a better GPU in a top of the line mini.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 30, 2020 09:30AM
I'd love a midrange headless Mac. Something more attainable than the pro that at least allows for easy upgrade of RAM and internal storage, with step-above built-in graphics support. I get told "then buy an iMac" but that's not what I'm looking for.

Speculatively, it's too bad they couldn't re-purpose the trash can design Pro when they moved on for the Pro line.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 30, 2020 01:39PM
$540 - OWC Mercury Helios FX 650 with Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 OWC Solution
eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/HELFX6RX580/

Intel has a new Ghost Canyon NUC that can take a specially sized 300 Watt video card like an AMD RX-580 or Nvidia RTX-2070 but it is $1700 for a high end CPU without including the GPU.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018