advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Larger TM Drive Options?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: April 30, 2020 09:12AM
My 2TB Time Machine drives (2, which I alternate) have run out of room, so TM tells me it is deleting old backups. They are both off-the-shelf WD 'My Book' USB drives that I bought from Best Buy some years ago. They've been quite reliable.

Not sure if TM deleting old backups is a problem, but I'm thinking maybe larger drives would avoid this for a while. Any reason to get more than 4GB? I'm backing up 2TB Fusion drive plus maybe 1TB on a 4TB RAID.

BB online (pick up curbside—can't go in here) has WD My Books: 4TB $110, 6TB $132, 8TB $160. Amazon has them for 4TB $110, 6TB $130, 8TB $150. I would need two if I continue rotating.

Seagates are also available, but I've had too much trouble with them in the past. Other brands seem to be more expensive than WDs. I do notice on Amazon a higher percentage of 'failure' reviews than I would expect with WD.

Suggestions, thoughts welcome.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Larger TM Drive Options?
Posted by: clay
Date: April 30, 2020 09:28AM
Any of the brands are fine. They all have at least some warranty (usually 1 year), so you're covered if one fails within that time. I've been using Seagate and WD 8tb drives for the past 3-4 years and haven't had issues with any of them.

I see the 8tb drives on sale for $100 - $130 regularly. I haven't been watching prices in the past 1.5 months, but prior to that, these prices were a regular occurrence.

How much storage are you trying to backup? I'd say worry less about looking for a specific capacity, and just get the best bang for your buck deal you can find at the moment.

I saw this 2tb for under $50: [slickdeals.net]

I think I saw a 5tb portable for $100 a few days ago. Watch slick deals for sales, and just pick up whatever you see next.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 30, 2020 11:36AM
Look at your backup file and see how old the old the earliest backup is. My 2TB goes back nearly a year and I can live without a backup from that time. I am nore concerned about the last month.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: April 30, 2020 11:38AM
How old of backups do need?
If you just need to restore your Mac to where it was when you had problem (HDD failure etc.) or you deleted a recently changed file, maybe just let TM do its thing and delete old backups?

Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 255
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018