advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just got a nice deal on Drop/Sennheiser HD 650 headphones
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 30, 2020 02:14PM
Since my wife is going to be working from home for at least several more weeks, I figured I would spare her from all the racket I make in my studio downstairs from her by working as much as possible on headphones. In order to do that, I needed to upgrade my old phones, AKG141s to something more appropriate for mixing on.

I thought I’d want a favorite of many audio engineers, the Sennheiser HD 650, but I didn’t want to spend $400 or so for cans and I don’t like buying used speakers or phones. An audio buddy turned me on to Drop (formally Massdrop). They partner with tech companies to build versions of branded products at considerable savings to consumers.

Drop had previously made a version of the HD 650 in conjunction with Sennheiser and have just recently updated their build. With a recent sale, I was able to order their new HD 6xx for $195. A first time order credit of $10 brought the price to $185, which is a tremendous savings on these phones.

Looks like the price is back up a bit, but they have quite a few other offerings as well that might be of interest:

[drop.com]

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just got a nice deal on Drop/Sennheiser HD 650 headphones
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 30, 2020 03:03PM
Great deal! Congratulations!
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 30, 2020 04:02PM
I love them cans. Great sound, all day wear.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 30, 2020 04:35PM
300 ohms, not too friendly for portable devices. They'll probably sound better with a can amp. I prefer no higher than 50 ohms and my cans with those specs do sound a bit better with my iFi amp.

Actually those are merely 32 Ohms (AKG 553 Pro), my highest resistance pair.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 30, 2020 06:54PM
My concern about buying stuff from Drop is that there will be no warranty, practically speaking.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Date: April 30, 2020 08:56PM
Lew Zealand
300 ohms, not too friendly for portable devices. They'll probably sound better with a can amp. I prefer no higher than 50 ohms and my cans with those specs do sound a bit better with my iFi amp.

Actually those are merely 32 Ohms (AKG 553 Pro), my highest resistance pair.

You’re right, they are pro audio cans, hence, the high impedance. They usually need amplification because they are designed to be used with multiple sets monitoring an audio feed. I doubt that they would perform well with a typical phone or small device. My AKG 141s are 600 ohm but I monitor from the powered headphone out on my I/O so they work well.

JoeM
Date: April 30, 2020 08:59PM
ka jowct
My concern about buying stuff from Drop is that there will be no warranty, practically speaking.

These come with a two year warranty and They are offering extended warranties for purchase.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018