Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
High Sierra Woes Please Help
Posted by: JEB
Date: April 30, 2020 10:30PM
Hi All,
I just upgraded my iMac 2010 to a new OWC 500 GB SSD with their up upgrade kit. I didn't clone the drive before the install because I thought I would use the old HD (running Sierra) linked via usb to boot and use CCC. CCC hung up so I rebooted and tried time machine. Itfailed because "it could not unmount the old HD". I tired to install Sierra no go. I finally got Apple Internet Restore to format and install but in installed High Sierra.

Now most of my external Hard drives are not recognized and won't mount and I cannot boot from the old original Sierra HD that I replaced. Also most old my old applications won't work with High Sierra.

I'd like to downgrade to Sierra. I reDled the Sierra app installer from Apple and formatted a usb drive to Mac OS extended and tried to use there terminal command to make a bootable USB of Sierra to reinstall.

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/macOSSierraInstall --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

I now get this error "/Volumes/macOSSierraInstall is not a valid volume mount point."

Please help. I tried to reset the date in terminal but got illegal command error.

John

Thank-you
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: High Sierra Woes Please Help
Posted by: btfc
Date: April 30, 2020 10:47PM
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 30, 2020 10:59PM
I can explain the error you're getting, but don't have a general solution.

When Apple updated all of the OS downloads to address their expired security certificate last October, they broke the Sierra installer. The installer works fine as an app, but the createinstallmedia tool fails when trying to build a standalone bootable USB installer.

The only workaround that I know of requires that you still have the previous Sierra installer before the certificate update, and use that to "createinstallmedia", and then delete the installer app on that Flash drive, empty trash, and copy the new install app to that drive. That will work.

So, you were doing all of the steps correctly, but due to Apple's bug it will fail with the error message you're getting.

[discussions.apple.com]

I'm assuming that you don't have a copy of the previous sierra installer before the October "fixes".

If you've got a spare drive with a bootable OS (like El Capitan) on it you should be able to run the sierra installer app from there and select the drive that you want to do the install onto. Not the same as the standalone installer, but close.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 01, 2020 12:45AM
Whoa, too much going on there.

Did you format the new drive?

If you installed High Sierra on the new drive, you should be able to run CCC to copy over one of your backups, no?

Why aren't your old drives recognized? Do you have another Mac to check them on?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 01, 2020 01:30AM
CCC doesn't hang easily. Add to that the problems mounting external drives and booting from the external and I'm wondering whether youv'e got a bad USB adapter/dock or whatever you're using.

Solve the mount problem first.

..."/Volumes/macOSSierraInstall is not a valid volume mount point" suggests that your USB drive is not named "macOSSierraInstall."

Posted by: GGD
Date: May 01, 2020 02:25AM
Sarcany
Solve the mount problem first.

..."/Volumes/macOSSierraInstall is not a valid volume mount point" suggests that your USB drive is not named "macOSSierraInstall."

It's not possible to solve that problem as long as one is using the current version of Sierra that Apple has on their servers. It's a bug in the creatinstallmedia procedure in that version that Apple posted in October to fix their certificate problems. Try it yourself, you'll see. I haven't seen any sign of Apple having any interest in fixing it either. It's only Sierra that has this issue, the other installers that they updated at the same time have no problem with the createinstallmedia procedure.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 01, 2020 03:08AM
GGD
It's a bug in the creatinstallmedia procedure in that version that Apple posted in October to fix their certificate problems...

I haven't encountered that error before. Thank you.

Did some Googling...

Per MacRumors, the fix is this:

Try this Terminal Command BEFORE trying to create the USB Installer of Sierra

sudo plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string "12.6.03" /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Info.plist

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 01, 2020 04:58AM
Don't know if this is pertinent but every version of Sierra installer I have stored (5x)
are version 12.6.03; created Friday, July 14, 2017 at 4:58 PM.

You could try dosdude1's tool & see if that helps.

As noted above by Sarcany, the broken installer is version 12.6.06.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2020 05:03AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 01, 2020 12:35PM
I'm confused--will your externals not mount, or will they not perform installation of Sierra?
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 01, 2020 01:18PM
Can you turn back the clock and use old installers?
Posted by: JEB
Date: May 01, 2020 02:19PM
Hi all, Thanks for the suggestions. I switched the old
3.5HD to a newer different external case and it shows up on the desktop now
I used migration assistant app to move the files to the SSD and most of the
Old apps seem to be working under High Sierra so for now l’ll leave it. Thanks for the help
John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 216
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020