advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What if you needed to make a long road trip right now?
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 04, 2020 11:57AM
You could take enough food and drink, so you didn’t have to worry about that, and there would probably be plenty of drive thru food options, as well as gas. My big worry would be bathroom facilities. Does anyone know if gas station bathrooms are open and are rest stops open on the interstates?
I know you guys can handle a quick pee by the roadside, but it isn’t so easy for us females and everyone needs to do #2 at some point.
Anyone have any personal knowledge about what’s open out there?

There is the other issue about wanting to use a public restroom, but at least you could wash your hands really well afterwards.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What if you needed to make a long road trip right now?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 04, 2020 12:33PM
Bumper Dumper™
==
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 04, 2020 12:36PM
.....would a bed pan work.....since one can sit on it......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 04, 2020 12:45PM
my son is an OTR driver. truck stop bathrooms are open. he hasn't said anything about rest areas.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: May 04, 2020 12:47PM
graylocks
my son is an OTR driver. truck stop bathrooms are open. he hasn't said anything about rest areas.

Good to know.
I was wondering what truck drivers were having to do.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 04, 2020 01:05PM
Maybe you could find an OTR trucker forum and see if they are listing chains and individual places that are open. It would be great to know what's before you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2020 01:07PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 04, 2020 01:10PM
Rest Areas depends on the state. I used to rely on restaurant restrooms more than gas stations. I have no idea what to expect on a cross-country drive like truckers still do daily.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 04, 2020 01:15PM
.....wasn't there someone, an astronaut, who drove across country in diapers to save time.......??

Date: May 04, 2020 01:16PM
.....truck stops are 'allegedly' notorious for being..........

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 04, 2020 01:43PM
The rest areas and truck stops in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee are all operating to some extent when I passed through last month. The rest stops were essentially restroom only, truckstops were fully operational except for hot food (the hot dog warmers were turn off).

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 04, 2020 01:59PM
Wife and I just drove back to Michigan from Florida. No problem with with bathroom needs. All gas stations with restrooms are open. Most of the rest areas on I 75 were open.

rgG
You could take enough food and drink, so you didn’t have to worry about that, and there would probably be plenty of drive thru food options, as well as gas. My big worry would be bathroom facilities. Does anyone know if gas station bathrooms are open and are rest stops open on the interstates?
I know you guys can handle a quick pee by the roadside, but it isn’t so easy for us females and everyone needs to do #2 at some point.
Anyone have any personal knowledge about what’s open out there?

There is the other issue about wanting to use a public restroom, but at least you could wash your hands really well afterwards.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 04, 2020 02:23PM
Carry disposable gloves and hand sanitizer, if you can find any. Food via the drive-thru.

We leave on a 2200 mile trip on Friday. We have a roll of paper towels for our hands and a Ziploc bag for my credit card. Plus my wife stitched together some paper shop towel masks because we won’t be able to wash our cloth ones. The shop towel masks are better at filtering anyway. We made our own sanitizer from ethanol and hand lotion and we use it copiously. We will stop at (two) motels where we will ask for rooms that haven’t been used for 72 hours.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 04, 2020 03:01PM
Speedy
Carry disposable gloves and hand sanitizer, if you can find any. Food via the drive-thru.
We made our own sanitizer from ethanol and hand lotion and we use it copiously.

Keep your hands moisturized as well. I developed cracks on my skin from all the alcohol and I taped those up between washing.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: May 04, 2020 03:14PM
Rolando
Speedy
We made our own sanitizer from ethanol and hand lotion and we use it copiously.

Keep your hands moisturized as well. I developed cracks on my skin from all the alcohol and I taped those up between washing.

We’ve been using our concoction for over a month with no problems, probably thanks to the hand lotion in the ethanol.

Posted by: sekker
Date: May 04, 2020 04:19PM
Great info, we will be doing an interstate drive moving a family member later this month.
Date: May 04, 2020 04:36PM
....if one rents an R.V.......bathroom built in......

Posted by: vision63
Date: May 04, 2020 04:46PM
graylocks

That's cool. Go boy.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 04, 2020 05:09PM
vision63
graylocks

That's cool. Go boy.

it's testing him for sure. lots of opportunities for rising to the occasion.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: May 04, 2020 05:27PM
Great info. Thanks.
I am not planning any trips, but you never know.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 04, 2020 05:56PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I used to rely on restaurant restrooms more than gas stations.

This. Truck stops are an acceptable fallback. Gas station restrooms are too hit-and-miss to rely on.

It is what it is.
Date: May 04, 2020 05:57PM
Speedy

We leave on a 2200 mile trip on Friday. We have a roll of paper towels for our hands and a Ziploc bag for my credit card. Plus my wife stitched together some paper shop towel masks because we won’t be able to wash our cloth ones. The shop towel masks are better at filtering anyway. We made our own sanitizer from ethanol and hand lotion and we use it copiously. We will stop at (two) motels where we will ask for rooms that haven’t been used for 72 hours.

Bring your own toilet paper.

It is what it is.
Posted by: davester
Date: May 04, 2020 08:41PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Speedy

...or a travel bidet!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: May 04, 2020 09:01PM
....that looks just like a.....water pik........

Date: May 05, 2020 12:04AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Speedy

My wife does as there is rarely paper in toilets in Mexico. At pay toilets the attendant will give you four squares, and depending on where you last ate, that is simply inadequate to the task at hand. (The first 600 miles of our drive are from Mexico City to the frontier with the states.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2020 12:05AM by Speedy.
Date: May 05, 2020 01:34AM
Speedy
At pay toilets the attendant will give you four squares, and depending on where you last ate, that is simply inadequate to the task at hand

I would submit that four squares is almost NEVER adequate for the task at hand.

It is what it is.
Date: May 05, 2020 01:34AM
davester
N-OS X-tasy!
Speedy

...or a travel bidet!

I was actually going to make a joke about bringing a bidet. Joke's on me!

It is what it is.
Date: May 05, 2020 08:13PM
....Route......66.....???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 219
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020