advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New router?
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: May 04, 2020 12:00PM
I’m having issues with only my new iPad 6 staying connected to WiFi. My iPad 4, Mini, and PC work laptop tend to stay connected. I don’t have this problem on any network except mine (I use it on about 10 other networks and don’t lose signal unless I’m far away and it’s weak). Apple is trying to troubleshoot it, too, but they aren’t finding much. It acts like it just doesn’t try to stay connected when the signal is 2 bars or less, and it doesn’t always reconnect on its own, or has trouble joining (restarting the router fixes that). I’m typing this and I have lost signal 4 times while sitting here. When I go to reconnect, there are 2 bars.

My signal is pretty weak in much of the house, so I don’t mind getting a more modern router. It needs to do Ethernet (house is wired for it and I use my Mini on Ethernet) and WiFi. We use cable for phone and internet. Can you help me to find the proper one and assure me it’s basically plug and play? My current one is a WRT54G2 . Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New router?
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 04, 2020 12:09PM
try to delete it (forget it) and add it back?
Posted by: Forrest
Date: May 04, 2020 12:36PM
The Cisco/Linksys WRT54G2 is an old 802.11g based router. It’s time to upgrade to a faster dual band router such as a TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router.

You can your new iPad on either band.
Date: May 04, 2020 12:41PM
I’ve done that. I’ve been troubleshooting this for months, both with Apple and in my house.

The TP link is a good candidate for me? I don’t have high end needs, but a bit stronger signal or further reach would be really nice.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 04, 2020 12:41PM
I got this Netgear from Costco over a year ago. It's a modem and router. don't know if you need both aspects. it's been rock solid. It was onsale at the time for $149 i think.

Netgear AC 1900

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2020 12:43PM by graylocks.
Date: May 04, 2020 01:13PM
I have some weird proprietary cable modem. I’m just looking to update the router.
Date: May 04, 2020 03:19PM
Hey, before I buy that 1750, it will supply my house with Ethernet, right? I want to be sure it’s clear that I have wired Ethernet that runs from my router, in addition to WiFi. I know it has Ethernet ports, but I’m not certain it will do this. I found a nice deal on one and I want to jump, unless someone stops me. Thanks!
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 04, 2020 03:46PM
I'm happy with my Asus router. It has four gigabit ethernet ports plus wifi. If I were in the market, I'd probably get something like this:

[www.bhphotovideo.com]

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Date: May 04, 2020 05:05PM
I called B & H to confirm and ordered the 1750. Thanks guys! I hope it’ll fix my problem and will start up smoothly.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 04, 2020 08:32PM
Sounds like its time for a new router. I think wirecutter has some good recommendations. [thewirecutter.com]

Posted by: Buck
Date: May 04, 2020 10:52PM
Are there any routers not made in China?
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 05, 2020 11:23AM
Buck
Are there any routers not made in China?

I think a recent TP-Link router I purchased was made in Vietnam.
Posted by: tenders
Date: May 05, 2020 03:22PM
I bought the mesh-compatible Archer A7 a month ago (Wirecutter's "budget pick") and, with two mesh-compatible extenders scattered about the house, solved all lingering WiFi issues for the duration of this quarantine for less than $100.

Unless you live in surroundings that are bathed in WiFi connectivity, do NOT buy a new router without mesh capability.
Date: May 05, 2020 03:24PM
Too late. I am sure it’ll be a big upgrade to my old one! That does sound good, and not expensive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018