advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
new house: Comcast (aka Xfinity) or Fios (aka FiOS)
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 05, 2020 06:30PM
moving to a new residence, where I have the luxury of choosing ISP.

One is Comcast, which I currently have. I never bargained with them, since I do not have a choice. I guess they will not give me a new customer deal, but I can ask my wife to sign up as a new customer to the new location, and then I can cancel here. Then I will port the cell phones to her account, otherwise they will add $10 per line (4 lines)

The other ISP is Verizon Fios which I never had before. They offer router rental, $15/month, but I am thinking to buy my own at about $250-300. I do not want their WiFi, but I guess all new FiOS routers come with it, right? They may have slightly better prices, better upload speed, but I am not sure which TV package to choose.

Anyway, TV question aside, for internet only, Comcast or Verizon? I guess no matter which one I choose, in 2 years I will be moving to the other one once new customer price expires.

Thoughts?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: new house: Comcast (aka Xfinity) or Fios (aka FiOS)
Posted by: timg
Date: May 05, 2020 06:33PM
as a long time comcast customer, I would opt for the FiOS in a heartbeat.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 05, 2020 06:41PM
FIOS.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 05, 2020 06:42PM
Comcast is the Devil.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: MikeF
Date: May 05, 2020 06:45PM
Just be glad it's Verizon and not Frontier.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 05, 2020 06:45PM
Run all the numbers. I'd choose FIOS if numbers are close out of hating comcast. That said, you might switch between the two every so often to keep intro rates.

Posted by: space-time
Date: May 05, 2020 06:46PM
rgG
Comcast is the Devil.

I have no complaints about their internet service. I also have Limited basic, since I like o record on TiVO. That is around $16 and taxes and fees bring that to about $26. if I got rid of TV, internet only would jump by about $15 so not much savings

forgot to mention: I have a TiVO with lifetime service, works on Comcast but not on FiOS. Maybe that is what will make me stick with them.
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 05, 2020 06:58PM
Long term you might be about to bounce back and forth between them every time the low new customer deal expires. Or maybe negotiate a better price with them knowing you can switch. Having phones with a broadband company is one downside to that strategy.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 05, 2020 06:59PM
space-time
rgG
Comcast is the Devil.

I have no complaints about their internet service. I also have Limited basic, since I like o record on TiVO. That is around $16 and taxes and fees bring that to about $26. if I got rid of TV, internet only would jump by about $15 so not much savings

forgot to mention: I have a TiVO with lifetime service, works on Comcast but not on FiOS. Maybe that is what will make me stick with them.

Just wait till you have a problem and you have to deal with their CS.
At least now you can say FU, I am going with FIOS.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 05, 2020 07:03PM
mattkime
...That said, you might switch between the two every so often to keep intro rates.

We're fortunate enough to have both as options. And as much as I thought I'd play the threaten-to-jump-for-a-better-deal card, it just isn't worth the hassle of getting and returning equipment, dealing with pro-rated service start dates, learning new channel numbers, etc.

Well, it isn't worth it to the TV viewing members of the household. And while we were pretty satisfied with Comcast when we had them, after switching to FiOS several years ago, it would take a hell of a deal to get us to go back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2020 07:05PM by wurm.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 05, 2020 07:12PM
At $15 month vs $300 you are talking 20 months to recoup your money... and if you swap 4 months later... another new router?

And if it ever breaks, or needs an upgrade -- its free.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2020 07:15PM by jdc.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 05, 2020 07:31PM
space-time

Which TiVo and who is the FiOS provider? If it's Frontier/Verizon, they are supposed to have cablecards (although the sales reps might be unfamiliar with them).

If it's AT&T, then maybe not, since they don't do traditional cable and use internet based TV for their U-Verse system.
Posted by: dk62
Date: May 05, 2020 07:43PM
Fios router is $150 to buy. You need the Moca functionality if you are also getting TV through them.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 05, 2020 08:25PM
Fiber Optic SPANKS coax. I'd go with FIOS
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 05, 2020 09:17PM
Verizon FiOS, without question. If it were Frontier, that would be another matter.

It is what it is.
Posted by: clay
Date: May 06, 2020 08:11AM
give Comcast a chance to give you a good deal. You'll go to FIOS eventually, but with a move in your future, don't change unless you have to. It would mean dealing with switching your phones over to something else if you switched to FIOS. Save your pennies and sanity and deal with a switch to FIOS after you're settled in the new place.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 06, 2020 11:34AM
rgG
space-time
rgG
Comcast is the Devil.

Just wait till you have a problem and you have to deal with their CS.
At least now you can say FU, I am going with FIOS.

Apparently where you live makes a big difference. I've had Comcast (southeast MI) for TV since 1982, and Comcast internet since 2000. I have had very good reliable performance over the years. When things did go wrong with either service, the problem was promptly and pleasantly solved. There were a few billing errors over the years, and those were promptly fixed with no hassle. Comcast is the devil I am happy with.

I cannot speak for FIOS or Verizon. My Comcast mobile phone service uses Verizon towers, and that is a problem for both of my residences. Both are at the edge of the service area, so a lot of grief there. I installed my own booster antenna in MI and its better here now.

In FL I have had Comcast, DirecTV, and DISH. I would rate the performance in that same order. Comcast TV/Internet became unavailable, so I had to go to DirecTV first then to DISH. DirecTV pricing was intolerable, and DISH is not much better. DirecTV performance was a bit above marginal. DISH is better, but controlling their TV system defies logic. DISH internet has been quite reliable and cost effective.

I have no problems streaming TV/movies at either residence, without FIOS, but we watch perhaps 1 movie a year, total.

Your first decision is: How badly do you really want FIOS? What has it cost in convenience without it so far? The answer to that will really help.

Told my wife I wanted to be cremated.
She made me an appointment for Tuesday.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 248
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018