advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Merging from center lane illegal? News to me.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: May 06, 2020 03:29PM
Saw a story about it being illegal to pull out into a center turn lane (those roads that have them) to then merge into traffic. I always thought that was part of the reason for them to exist.

Apparently in Michigan it is illegal. However in some other states (Washington for example) it is perfectly legal and recommended.

What's the story where you live?

Here's the Michigan story: [www.uppermichiganssource.com]

And here is the opposing one from Washington: [www.bellinghamherald.com]

Athens, OH
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Merging from center lane illegal? News to me.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: May 06, 2020 03:38PM
Well, I'm in WA so you know my answer. One key part that I see missed - " it’s illegal to travel more than 300 feet in the TWLTL"

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 06, 2020 03:42PM
Arch,

NY is similar to Michigan. If turning onto a road with multiple lanes traveling in the same direction, make a left turn, you're supposed to turn into the left lane. Not the left turning lane, center lane or the right lane or what have you of the road. Left turn into center lane. Right turn into the right lane, not the middle lane, center lane, left or a left turning lane.

I've seen accidents because drivers made a turn from one lane into the incorrect lane. Many a time it's someone making a right turn from a side street onto a 4 lane road with two lanes traveling in each direct. They make the right turn and instead of turning into the right lane, they move into the left lane, causing the person already on the road and in the left lane to swerve to avoid a collision.

Happens all the friggin' time. Very annoying.

Robert
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 06, 2020 04:06PM
Thanks arch, I didn’t know that about Michigan. I often turn into the center lane in order to merge.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: May 06, 2020 04:08PM
In California, you can turn left from a driveway into a center left turn lane and merge into traffic when safe.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 06, 2020 04:18PM
In AZ, you are supposed to left turn directly into the leftmost lane. Center lane is only for making a left turn out of, not in to. 4 trips to driving school does drive (!) some bits of minutia into even the thickest skulls.

I didn't know you could turn from a driveway into the center lane in CA. Only done driving school 2x in CA, looks like I need another trip or 2 to the DMV.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 06, 2020 04:24PM
I was taught in PA that the center lane is for turning.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 06, 2020 04:27PM
In normal LA traffic, turning into the center lane and waiting for a break in traffic is the only way to make a left turn - unless it's 3AM, you' be sitting on that side street for an hour.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 06, 2020 04:29PM
M A V I C
Well, I'm in WA so you know my answer. One key part that I see missed - " it’s illegal to travel more than 300 feet in the TWLTL"

These are referred to “center left turn lanes” in the CA Driver’s Handbook. Travel within the lane prior to completing a turn is 200 feet here.

[www.dmv.ca.gov]

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2020 04:56PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 06, 2020 04:36PM
....on Tinder......you need consent....to merge....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: dk62
Date: May 06, 2020 04:52PM
PA Driver's Manual: ....Drivers traveling in either direction must use this lane to begin their left turns , and drivers entering the road may also use this lane to end their left turn from a cross street before entering the traffic stream.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 06, 2020 05:19PM
This is where a picture or diagram is necessary as the terminology or intent can be confusing.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 06, 2020 06:02PM
By "merging" I take that to mean you pull in to the center turn lane, then accelerate to the speed of the traffic and, well, merge.

That is dangerous, because you are looking at the traffic that you are trying to merge with and not the oncoming traffic.

Saw an accident where two cars had a head on collision trying to do this in opposite directions.

But pulling into the lane and stopping, then waiting for the traffic to clear and pulling into the travel lanes is done all the time.
Posted by: Pat
Date: May 06, 2020 06:18PM
Everyone I know has always referred to it as the "suicide lane."

As noted above, in CA you can make a left out of a driveway into the suicide lane and then merge right into the leftmost lane.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 06, 2020 07:52PM
Saw a story about it being illegal to pull out into a center turn lane (those roads that have them) to then merge into traffic. I always thought that was part of the reason for them to exist.

Obviously, it will vary by state.

In CA these are defined in the CVC as two-way left-turn lanes, principally for beginning and completing left turns or making U-turns where legal.

Travel as mentioned, is limited to 200'.

One can't make a left or U-turn from any other lane where there's a two-way left-turn lane.

In California, you can turn left from a driveway into a center left turn lane and merge into traffic when safe.

Yes. Presumably, the only reason one would be legally be on that side of a two-way left-turn lane is because of exiting a drive way. The CVC calls it something similar to 'upon entering a highway'.

As noted above, in CA you can make a left out of a driveway into the suicide lane and then merge right into the leftmost lane.

The CVC provides for crossing a two-way left-turn lane completely before completing a left turn. If safe to do so, the turn can be completed in any lane legally available in that direction.

I used to hear that when I was a kid.

That was a very long time ago, and haven't heard that that since.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: May 06, 2020 08:30PM
M A V I C

This is akin to the rule that says you must drop your bat by a certain distance down the first base line. Rarely comes up, and few people even know where that point is, but the rule has to be there to prevent disaster.
Date: May 06, 2020 08:33PM
300 feet is the length of a football field, if you can't merge in that distance you should either be stock still waiting for a traffic break or even more preferable not driving.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 06, 2020 08:50PM
(from the video) "it's very dangerous and it's illegal". I think the terminology should be "It's illegal because it's dangerous". Laws are here to protect us, right??
Posted by: Pat
Date: May 06, 2020 09:28PM
The CVC you cite does not address the statements made. It says you are not prohibited from crossing the turning lane, addresses U turns, left turns from the lane, but it does not say you are prohibited from making a left turn into the lane.
Furthermore, the CA drivers handbook explicitly states that you may turn into the center turn lane from a driveway or side street and then merge into traffic whenever it is safe to do so.

[www.dmv.ca.gov]
Scroll down to center turn lanes, paragraph under the diagram. I know it's not law, but show me the CVC that prohibits it. Now, you may cite someone for an unsafe action, but I'm sticking with a left turn into the suicide lane is legal until I see a CVC that says otherwise. If the CVC is silent, it's not illegal. Now travelling down it definitely is. They set up around here and pop people who drive down it at backed up intersections trying to get to the actual signaled turn lane.
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 06, 2020 09:44PM
In GA, it's illegal to use the center lane for anything other than a left turn.

Having said that, I use it as a merge lane on one particular road where it you'd sit for a long time waiting on both directions to clear.
Date: May 06, 2020 10:11PM
Michael
In GA, it's illegal to use the center lane for anything other than a left turn.

Without that center lane, you'd never get an Amazon or UPS delivery.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 06, 2020 10:14PM
macphanatic
This is where a picture or diagram is necessary as the terminology or intent can be confusing.

You mean like the one I linked above?

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2020 10:27PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: May 06, 2020 10:38PM
Pat

+1, I was thinking the same thing,

Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: May 06, 2020 11:30PM
I told my son if he gets into UCLA I’m buying him a panel truck that says Fresh Produce on the side, and he can just park it in the center lane of some busy street in the heart of Westwood and live in the damn thing rent free. I don’t think he’d be the first.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 07, 2020 12:30AM
RgrF
300 feet is the length of a football field, if you can't merge in that distance you should either be stock still waiting for a traffic break or even more preferable not driving.

Yeah, this is what I was going to write.

Also, this traffic planning is when the municipality cedes their engineering, and more or less tells the public to "figure it out."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2020 12:39AM by mrbigstuff.
Date: May 07, 2020 12:48AM
Also, this traffic planning is when the municipality cedes their engineering, and more or less tells the public to "figure it out."

We did that back in the day - they were called rotaries.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 07, 2020 10:05AM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Pat

+1, I was thinking the same thing,

"Historically, the term "suicide lane" has... referred to a lane in the center of a highway meant for passing in both directions. Neither direction has the right-of-way, and both directions are permitted to use the lane for passing. In a similar layout, three lanes are striped with two in one direction and one in the other, but traffic in the direction with one lane is allowed to cross the centerline to pass."

"Another type of center two-way lane is a "two-way left turn lane" (TWLT) or "center left-turn lane", or (for countries that drive on the right) "center turn lane" or "median turn lane", a single lane in the center of the road into which traffic from both directions pulls to make a left turn. While this is sometimes also called a "suicide lane", it is actually far safer, as traffic collisions occur at far lower speeds."
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 07, 2020 10:12AM
....what about......Penny Lane......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: norse
Date: May 07, 2020 10:46AM
Lux Interior
By "merging" I take that to mean you pull in to the center turn lane, then accelerate to the speed of the traffic and, well, merge.

That is dangerous, because you are looking at the traffic that you are trying to merge with and not the oncoming traffic.

Saw an accident where two cars had a head on collision trying to do this in opposite directions.

But pulling into the lane and stopping, then waiting for the traffic to clear and pulling into the travel lanes is done all the time.

From a driveway, I get into the center lane, STOP, and wait for traffic to clear, then I move out of the center lane.

I've seen drivers get into the center lane, drive slowly in the center lane up to a quarter block, and merge into traffic. BAD. I've even seen a driver speed up in the center lane to pass a slower car and move out of the center lane in front of the slower car...REAL BAD!!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 07, 2020 07:52PM
I've seen drivers get into the center lane, drive slowly in the center lane up to a quarter block, and merge into traffic. BAD. I've even seen a driver speed up in the center lane to pass a slower car and move out of the center lane in front of the slower car...REAL BAD!!

I've seen drivers that and the same with islands designated by double yellow lines, unbroken on either side, as well as using them as two-way left-turn lanes.

Line 20, press hard, three copies.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 129
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020