advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
rewiring a torchiere lamp
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 07, 2020 05:05PM
You folks helped me out a while back with sources for a bulb for my torchiere lamp. [forums.macresource.com]
I've since replaced both circline bulbs in there and yesterday I received the most recent replacement for the larger one. Well, I changed the bulb and it didn't work. Figured I got a bum bulb, but plugged the other lamp's plug into this new bulb's socket and it worked fine. Which to me means the socket/wiring/ballast/whatever is f'ed up. Probably time to replace the lamp.

But I was wondering if I could rip out the guts of this one and just use the wires to make a normal socket that would take an led bulb. Note that I didn't ask if it could be done. I asked whether I might be able to do it, having limited electrical experience. I mean, I've replaced household electrical outlets before, and i can follow step-by-step instructions, but beyond that I'm not sure.

Optionally, would it be cheaper or wiser to just buy a new lamp? Here's what I'd be dealing with (ignore the dust and any bugs).

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: rewiring a torchiere lamp
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 07, 2020 05:36PM
In theory, an LED bulb would just need a socket and switch, and would be very simple wire up, no particular talent or ballast required.

Making it dimmable might take a bit of trial and error, as compatibility between dimmable LEDs and dimmers isn't universal.

But you'd have to figure out how to mount the socket in the lamp. That would take same little gray cells.

And before that, you have to find an LED bulb that looks okay in the lamp and gives an acceptable light pattern.

Most LED bulbs tend to be fairly directional and might not provide a pleasant look or be hidden by the torchiere's shade.

Finding the pieces to this puzzle would be the only difficult part.

Assembling them would/should be fairly straightforward.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 07, 2020 05:50PM
.....will this become a.....torch song.....trilogy......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 07, 2020 06:31PM
I've done at least 5 of 'em (that I can remember), and 3 have lived to tell their tale (two pretty much died of old age), though one of the living now has dimmer issues; it no longer dims, it's either on or off, and when it's on, it has a slight hum that needs ambient noise to drown it out. What Rammie said for dimmers and LED bulbs; finding the right combo may well be the most arduous task you're gonna have to deal with.

The [now] noisy/non-dimming lamp is my favorite torchiere, as it has a really nice alabaster glass shade. I've been mulling over just wiring it straight thru, and using a plug-in dimmer for it, but no way will we ever get rid of it. One of the fully-working duo was originally my grandmother's from the 1930's or 40's, and my mother inherited it over forty years ago. She rewired it, and refinished it during her tenure, then I inherited it about 18 years ago, and had to put a new socket in it awhile back... it, too, has an alabaster glass shade, though very vintage and showing clear signs of its handmade origins, I just don't find it as striking as the hummer. I guess because it's so old, it's like 8 to 10 inches shorter, but it's also a keeper (and probably is worth a lot more).

If you like your lamps, go for it... it'll be a fun project; if you're looking for an excuse to get something new, this may be it.
Good luck.
==
Date: May 07, 2020 08:29PM
Thanks for the replies. Don't care at all about dimmable. This looks like a possibility, despite the fact that he went from halogen to led and I'm looking at fluorescent to led. [www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 07, 2020 09:32PM
Bakelite or ceramic bulb holders are cheap on amazon.
I was looking into converting a lamp with a stupid special LED non standard.

Edit: I just wired the light directly. I need to order a bulb holder. It’s for a restroom light. That has a specialized bulb with a dying transformer. The other on is a light on a fan. Special socket for an LED light.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2020 09:44PM by Carm.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 08, 2020 03:54AM
wurm
Thanks for the replies. Don't care at all about dimmable. This looks like a possibility, despite the fact that he went from halogen to led and I'm looking at fluorescent to led. [www.youtube.com]

That's an excellent way to go.... all you have to do is pick desired brightness and color temp. thumbs up thumbs up
Since you said "normal socket that would take an led bulb....", I didn't even think to think about going the panel LED route. Frankly, if you're open to that option, it's a hands down winner. ASAP after this pandemic thing subsides substantially, I'm gonna get some help to do LED panel retrofits in at least 2 outa 3 of our kitchen/master walk-in closet/front landing ceiling fixtures (so LED panels have been on my mind).
==
Date: May 08, 2020 04:28AM
When I said you'd have to find an LED bulb that looks okay in the lamp and gives an acceptable light pattern, I didn't mean you'd have to go and find a near perfect replacement. LOL

That takes a lot of research, cobbling, and frustration that are all part of the fun of DIY, out of the experience!

I'd have thought that shallow shade style would have presented more of an obstacle.

I have one like that which uses a 500W halogen so yes, they could be dangerous.

No kids or pets but I'd like to convert it anyway, because 18W is a lot more KWH friendly than 500W.

My other torchiere has a shade so a regular E26 Hue LED was a direct replacement.

Nice find!

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: May 08, 2020 07:54AM
Thanks, Like I said it looks like a strong possibility, but I can't tell where he hid that wall-warty thing (transformer?). Looks like it's just sitting under the disc.

On a side note, of the two circline bulbs and socket connectors in my current setup, one connector still works. Does that mean the ballast isn't the problem? I don't know enough (actually, anything) about ballast stuff.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 09, 2020 09:32AM
Just an FYI. For every watt of power the bulb takes, it take another watt of A/C to cool the place off in the summer. So Ram's 500 watt halogen torchiere needs an in window A/C on low when the light is on.

That is one of the big factors in commercial buildings constantly upgrading lighting.

A Boeing 787 has 14,400 watts of LED lights. And since the carbon fiber skin can't be used as a heat sink, they need 2 A/C power packs to cool the big meat tube back down. No idea what is needed to offset the 400 meat sacks at 98.6 heating up the air. I'd have to ask my guy.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 09:38AM by Racer X.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 09, 2020 12:23PM
.....so....Watts it all about......Alfie.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 09, 2020 02:01PM
I can't tell where he hid that wall-warty thing (transformer?). Looks like it's just sitting under the disc.

It looks like he just set the whole works in the shade/reflector and didn't anchor anything down, so just putting it under the disk is a likely possibility.

I don't have a clue about your current fluorescent situation.

500 watt halogen torchiere needs an in window A/C on low when the light is on.

LOL, no, not really.

First, volume is a big factor in that equation, as is the length of time the lamp is on, and what brightness it's set to.

I didn't mention it has a built-in dimmer; I would imagine just about every light that bright sold for home use would have one.

Still, I have to think this lamp was designed for a huge open space.

Once I realized how bright it was, I thought about getting a smaller halogen bulb. I don't recall, but I think there is a 250W version.

Anyway, this LED conversion looks worth doing.

But the current options seem to be limited to 15W, not the 18W in the video.

I do like might light to shine.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: May 11, 2020 03:33PM
Nearest thing I found was this at Home Depot. [www.homedepot.com]

I was all set to go buy one and give it a shot when I realized I already have this brand new fluorescent replacement 9" bulb from Amazon that I can't return. So I just took the plug from the smaller (and lower placed) 7" bulb and popped it into the new 9" bulb which I mounted where it belongs in the lamp. It'll do until such time as it burns out again. Then, maybe I'll go led.

Or until I get so bored I just want to try it. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 201
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018