Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Whoa! 10.6 on PowerPC
Posted by: p8712
Date: May 10, 2020 06:40AM
Beta

If you’ve got a G4 or G5 laying around give this a shot.

I'll try on my cube in a bit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2020 07:09AM by p8712.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Whoa! 10.6 on PowerPC
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 10, 2020 07:58AM
OK, that might be a fun project.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 10, 2020 09:14AM
That is so freakin’ awesome!
Thanks!
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 10, 2020 10:48AM
I think it is not cool at all. They had it working and they never released it? I am sure many G4/G5 owners felt frustrated when this happened.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 10, 2020 11:38AM
space-time
I think it is not cool at all. They had it working and they never released it? I am sure many G4/G5 owners felt frustrated when this happened.

It sounds like it never got out from beta, so they may have run into problems that proved too time consuming to finish on time for release. More likely is that the Leader decided it was time to abandon support and look to the future, just like with 680x0 before, and Intel within this next year or two.

Obsolescence LEADER!

I was indeed disappointed that my (still in service) MDD G4 was no longer up to date.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2020 11:39AM by S. Pupp.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 10, 2020 11:49AM
Wasn't Petro working on legacy code support, or was that only pre-G3 computers? It looks like he hasn't posted since he asked about how much to spend on a wedding ring for his S.O.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2020 11:49AM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 10, 2020 12:49PM
I often wonder what happened to Petro.

I remember him getting some grief from a member or two about his spelling.

Maybe he's off being unique, just like everyone else.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 10, 2020 12:52PM
I wonder what app compatibility is like. Developers stating 10.6 as a minimum requirement could assume Intel only and not include PowerPC code.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 10, 2020 01:12PM
I worked with Petro at a company doing MPEG4 development, when he was just beginning coding in college and before he went to Apple. He was doing our Mac coding and I was doing GUI and web design. At that time Apple was already interested in him and he was making trips out there while our company was negotiating with Apple for the MPEG4 development we were doing.

After he went to Apple we stayed in touch a bit here and at the other place but I remember him getting ticked that the forum here was starting to discuss a lot of other things besides Macs. I remember him saying he was leaving because of it.

JoeM
Posted by: gabester
Date: May 10, 2020 03:15PM
I just want to point out that there's no way of knowing the authenticity of this download... It could very well be some hacker's pet project so obviously don't install this on any Mac that has data you need to keep, and I'd personally not connect it to any internet-accessible node where I had data I cared about. At its core it wouldn't take too much effort to make a 10.5 install look like a 10.6 one on the surface.
Date: May 10, 2020 06:45PM
At that time Apple was already interested in him and he was making trips out there

I recall him saying he was taking trips to Apple, and when he announced he got hired.

I remember him getting ticked that the forum here was starting to discuss a lot of other things besides Macs. I remember him saying he was leaving because of it.

He was here, at this place?

Was he under another nom de plume?

I absolutely don't recall seeing him here.

So he seems to have got on well with Apple, so good on 'im.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: May 10, 2020 07:02PM
RAMd®d
At that time Apple was already interested in him and he was making trips out there

I recall him saying he was taking trips to Apple, and when he announced he got hired.

I remember him getting ticked that the forum here was starting to discuss a lot of other things besides Macs. I remember him saying he was leaving because of it.

He was here, at this place?

Was he under another nom de plume?

I absolutely don't recall seeing him here.

So he seems to have got on well with Apple, so good on 'im.

Maybe I am getting my dates confused. I thought he made it over here with me but could it have been during our time at the other place?

JoeM
Posted by: p8712
Date: May 10, 2020 07:06PM
gabester
I just want to point out that there's no way of knowing the authenticity of this download... It could very well be some hacker's pet project so obviously don't install this on any Mac that has data you need to keep, and I'd personally not connect it to any internet-accessible node where I had data I cared about. At its core it wouldn't take too much effort to make a 10.5 install look like a 10.6 one on the surface.

This is, simply crazy.
Date: May 10, 2020 10:43PM
How to disable OT posts? - 13 years ago

How do I disable OT posts? I can't stand them. If the feature is not available, does anyone (moderators) know when/if it will be added? Thanks... --Petro

by Petro

----
Interesting that his own last post was OT.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 10, 2020 10:53PM
someone should PM him!

Filliam H. Muffman
How to disable OT posts? - 13 years ago

How do I disable OT posts? I can't stand them. If the feature is not available, does anyone (moderators) know when/if it will be added? Thanks... --Petro

by Petro

----
Interesting that his own last post was OT.

Posted by: GGD
Date: May 10, 2020 11:56PM
His last post was on May 29, 2008, coming up on 12 years ago. He was talking about proposing to his girlfriend, so it could be that life changed a lot for him, and that's what really took him away from the forum.

[forums.macresource.com]

That was also the date of his last activity on the forum.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 11, 2020 01:15AM
He still has a computer active folding for the forum Folding@home team.
Date: May 11, 2020 07:05AM
Ok, so I guess he did make it to this side.

LOL!

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: May 11, 2020 11:02AM
GGD
His last post was on May 29, 2008, coming up on 12 years ago. He was talking about proposing to his girlfriend, so it could be that life changed a lot for him, and that's what really took him away from the forum.

[forums.macresource.com]

That was also the date of his last activity on the forum.

[forums.macresource.com]
I was in touch with him off forum around that time. I think he said he was getting overworked at Apple and didn’t sound like he was too happy with them. My favorite memory was when we were working in MPEG4 development. We snuck an Easter egg into the player app we were developing. If you hit a certain key sequence, a cartoon I did of me in a hip hop outfit on a skateboard holding my hand up in a V for victory gesture traveled across the players screen.smiling smiley

JoeM
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: May 11, 2020 11:23AM
Gabester, I concur.
Joe, that’s pretty awesome!
I guess you wouldn’t be able to share the image here, as it would leave its egg status...
Date: May 11, 2020 01:08PM
JoeM
My favorite memory was when we were working in MPEG4 development. We snuck an Easter egg into the player app we were developing. If you hit a certain key sequence, a cartoon I did of me in a hip hop outfit on a skateboard holding my hand up in a V for victory gesture traveled across the players screen.smiling smiley

Did the app get distributed with the OS so someone might be able to post it? Sounds like it was around the time of a 10.7.1.x beta.(?)

Also, can you comment on whether the original download link that started this thread is of an official version or not, and if there is a way for "The average moron in a hurry" to feel safer about the download?

My visit to Apple with pRICE to get a quick tour by Petro was pretty much the acme of my Apple geekdom.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2020 01:08PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Date: May 11, 2020 07:41PM
rich in distress
Gabester, I concur.
I guess you wouldn’t be able to share the image here, as it would leave its egg status...

rich, I actually have the original drawing and would be happy to post it. Let me see if I can link from Google Photos.

JoeM
Date: May 11, 2020 07:49PM
Filliam H. Muffman
JoeM
My favorite memory was when we were working in MPEG4 development. We snuck an Easter egg into the player app we were developing. If you hit a certain key sequence, a cartoon I did of me in a hip hop outfit on a skateboard holding my hand up in a V for victory gesture traveled across the players screen.smiling smiley

Did the app get distributed with the OS so someone might be able to post it? Sounds like it was around the time of a 10.7.1.x beta.(?)

Also, can you comment on whether the original download link that started this thread is of an official version or not, and if there is a way for "The average moron in a hurry" to feel safer about the download?

My visit to Apple with pRICE to get a quick tour by Petro was pretty much the acme of my Apple geekdom.

No the viewer I was referring to was not connected to the original software posted. I mentioned it only in reference to Petro and the work we did together.

JoeM
Date: May 11, 2020 08:05PM
rich in distress
Gabester, I concur.

I can't hotline it in the page but I think this link will provide access to it on Google Photos:

[photos.app.goo.gl]

JoeM
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: May 12, 2020 09:43AM
LOL!!
That is extremely cool!!
Thanks for posting it!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 270
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018