advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
movie magic?!.....AMC Entertainment stock soars on rumor Amazon wants to buy.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 11, 2020 09:33AM
.....this is AMC theaters......Amazon may want to buy them......if they do, it will further increase their 'monopoly' on most things.....

AMC Entertainment's stock soars after report Amazon has expressed buyout interest

....Shares of AMC Entertainment Holding Inc., +26.55% rocketed 47% in active premarket trading Monday, after the Daily Mail reported that e-commerce giant Amazon.com Inc., +1.22% had expressed interested in acquiring the struggling movie theater chain. Amazon shares slipped 0.3% ahead of the open. AMC, the parent of Odeon Cinemas, and Amazon have held talk about a potential buyout, the Daily Mail reported citing sources, but it wasn't clear if the discussions were still active or will lead to a deal. AMC did not immediately respond to a request for comment. AMC's market capitalization as of Friday's stock closing price was $427.4 million. AMC's stock has tumbled 43.4% year to date as the COVID-19 pandemic has led to shutdowns of movie theaters. Meanwhile, Amazon's stock has run up 28.8% this year and the S&P 500 SPX, -0.52% has lost 9.3%.

Amazon's monopoly........could further increase......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: movie magic?!.....AMC Entertainment stock soars on rumor Amazon wants to buy.....
Posted by: tenders
Date: May 11, 2020 09:40AM
Major movie theaters will probably all be owned by media companies by the time we return to "normal." I'm surprised Apple didn't lead on this one. Maybe they're waiting to buy Alamo Drafthouse! There's one near me and we love it.

Interesting...there are only three chains in the US with more than 100 theaters, and only AMC (659 theaters) and Cinemark (525 theaters) have any presence outside the US. Regal (558 theaters) is all domestic. Alamo (a mere 35 theaters) is begging for somebody to come along and fill-in-the-blanks between their far-flung theaters across the country.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2020 09:45AM by tenders.
Re: movie magic?!.....AMC Entertainment stock soars on rumor Amazon wants to buy.....
Posted by: d4
Date: May 11, 2020 09:54AM
The last movie I saw in the theatre was 4 months ago. I've so hated going to the movies for years. Reserved seating and powered reclining lounge seats has made it better. I guess if I was retired and on a movie plan I'd go and enjoy it more.

Posted by: spacescape
Date: May 11, 2020 10:06AM
Movie Theaters are a thing of the past. As much as I love going to the movies it's too pricey and to top it off will they need to clean the theater in between movies? Not sweep but disinfect.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 11, 2020 01:16PM
spacescape
Movie Theaters are a thing of the past. As much as I love going to the movies it's too pricey and to top it off will they need to clean the theater in between movies? Not sweep but disinfect.
1- Retrofit HVAC with UV light in the return ducts.
2- Walk through the theater with a disinfectant fogger, then close the doors and vent to the outdoors for 15 minutes.

Note also that a theater makes its money selling snacks. And drinks. And popcorn. I had a friend who ran a local chain.

"I thought I was selling movies. We don't make any money on those. I'm running a snack bar."
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 11, 2020 10:44PM
spacescape

This. But I've been avoiding them for years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018