advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MR Forum Video Conference Series: pRICE cUBE, you insensitive clod, I don't have room for a softbox
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 11, 2020 04:03PM
Welcome to the MR Forum Video Conference Series, where pRICE cUBE attempts to give helpful hints on improving how others view you.

Previous fancier lighting setup with soft boxes: [forums.macresource.com]

OK, I get it, your space for video conferencing may be modest and I am insensitive to space concerns suggesting you try to cram 3 soft boxes in there. I beg forgiveness.

Adding additional lighting helps the physically smaller webcam imaging chips give a better image quality. When an imaging chip is starved for light, it has to amplify the signal. This is why images get grainy and colors lose their fidelity. Sharpness is also altered when pixelated colors start "dancing". Adding more brightness to these scene helps the sensors operate in more of a Goldilocks zone. Too much light or stark contrast in light can make most webcam images look like parts of you are glowing.

The following is solutions more suitable for confined spaces:

-A nice source of light can be your desk lamp. Just don't point the source of light right at your face. It can cause harsh shadows.

-If the lamp is capable of being pointed in a direction such as a wall or ceiling, the light becomes more diffused by reflecting off the surface it is pointed at.

-If you can point at the wall and ceiling it creates a more even light.

-You can point it way from yourself at the wall and ceiling and it will fill the area behind the light with light reflected from many angles. Be careful as wall and ceiling materials can reduce the overall brightness.

-Experiment with your camera on to find the most suitable lighting setup for you.

-Buy a more powerful light bulb since reflecting causes the hit source to lose brightness. 150 watt bulbs [www.amazon.com]

If you want some serious light for $40 then this work light is a powerful solution that has light to spare and reflects all round a room. Also it is very portable and useful around the house for other uses. [www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

This diagram gives you and of how light bounces. By aiming it near where the ceiling meets the wall, light should bounce in several angles. This should help you avoid the raccoon eyes look from direct from above light.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2020 04:47PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MR Forum Video Conference Series: pRICE cUBE, you insensitive clod, I don't have room for a softbox
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 11, 2020 04:46PM
A simple trick I used to use is a crinkled up emergency space blanket.

get one for $3, unpack it, crush it into a tiny ball. Then just open it up, tape it wherever, shine a light at it. Almost all will bounce back and the random wrinkles will soften and diffuse the light making it nice and even.

I carried the same one for about 15 years, it just got better with time.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Re: MR Forum Video Conference Series: pRICE cUBE, you insensitive clod, I don't have room for a softbox
Posted by: stephen
Date: May 11, 2020 06:12PM
My chief creative officer bought several of these LED units and uses them extensively.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 11, 2020 06:44PM
I used to have an IKEA flexy LED light bouncing light off the wall behind my Mac, but that broke... and I've been using my 2nd monitor with a blank white screen and cranked up brightness during ZOOM calls. It helps... some, but still lacking.

It's not all bad though, with my quarantine beard in full bloom I don't really care if people can see me or not.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 11, 2020 07:14PM
The rubbing alcohol bottle I taped over top my Speedlite diffuses pretty well.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: May 11, 2020 09:54PM
Keep the ideas coming. I have one of these Ikea clamp lights (apparently not sold by Ikea anymore except lower powered USB version):

[www.amazon.com]

At night time in fairly dim lighting, I can bounce it off the wall at a 45 degree angle behind my MBP screen to get a surprising good fill light. Useless in bright daylight where the crappy MBP onboard camera blows out the top of my thinning head.
Date: May 12, 2020 12:14AM
Home Depot has some work lights. These appear to be in store prices. Some items will ship free if you exceed $45.

$1200 lumen $13 [www.homedepot.com]

1000 lumen light according to the specs for $20 [www.homedepot.com]

1500 lumen $22 [www.homedepot.com]

2000 lumen for $26
[www.homedepot.com]

2500 lumen $30 [www.homedepot.com]

2 Pack 3000 lumen. Specs are sparse for detail but I guess it is 1500 each light. $44 [www.homedepot.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2020 12:27AM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: May 12, 2020 12:28AM
The GT line at Home Depot seems to be most lumens for the $ [www.homedepot.com]

10k lumen is $60
5k lumen $38
3200 lumen $30
1200 lumen $13

Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 12, 2020 08:15AM
datbeme
Keep the ideas coming. I have one of these Ikea clamp lights (apparently not sold by Ikea anymore except lower powered USB version):

[www.amazon.com]

At night time in fairly dim lighting, I can bounce it off the wall at a 45 degree angle behind my MBP screen to get a surprising good fill light. Useless in bright daylight where the crappy MBP onboard camera blows out the top of my thinning head.

That's the same one I had. The LED eventually flickered out, not sure if overheating or what, but then the clamp broke too, so it's pretty much trash now, sadly.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: May 12, 2020 01:45PM
Priceless information here!
Thank you all!!
Date: May 12, 2020 03:03PM
$6 extension cord.

[slickdeals.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 200
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020