advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
put out to pasture [ a.k.a. pasteurization ]?!.....Apple adds these devices to 'vintage/obsolete' list......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 12, 2020 09:42AM
......these MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models....and iPod Touch 5th gen......

Apple Adds Some 2013 and 2014 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Models to Vintage Products List

....A little later than expected, Apple has added the following 2013 and 2014 models of the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro to its vintage and obsolete products list:

MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2013)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)
MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2014)

Also today, Apple added the iPod touch (5th generation) to its vintage products, defined as those that have not been manufactured for more than five but less than seven years. Devices on the list are no longer be eligible for service at a Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Providers.

The fifth-generation iPod touch was released on October 11, 2012, with more color options than earlier models, offering silver, pink, yellow, blue, and PRODUCT(RED). The iPod touch (5th generation) was officially discontinued by Apple on July 15, 2015, with the release of its successor, the iPod touch (6th generation).

An internal memo obtained by MacRumors at the beginning of last month revealed Apple's plans to obsolete the above Mac products by the end of April.

old......fogies.....?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2020 12:49PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: put out to pasture?!.....Apple adds these devices to 'vintage/obsolete' list......
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 12, 2020 10:49AM
Sigh.... I still remember being at the local Apple store a decade or so ago and watching someone pull a Fat Mac out of a Kensington case and ask for help. And the Genius bar emptied out with everyone going over and saying "ooh".

I simply asked if the flyback transformer had gone bad.... It had.
Re: put out to pasture?!.....Apple adds these devices to 'vintage/obsolete' list......
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 12, 2020 11:24AM
It's very hard to believe that something that's only six years old is now considered "vintage". I would have bought that back in the 90's, or even the 00's, but now?
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 12, 2020 11:50AM
My computer is 2 years old.

In dog years its 14. In cat years its 25. In computer years its already dead...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 12, 2020 12:07PM
Any 2011 Mac with an i5 or i7 processor is still a reasonably good computer (I'm updating my 15" 2011 MBP as we speak) but where they've been left behind is video compatibility and reliability due to age.

I have a number of 2011 machines and none have died yet but their days are numbered. And when they play 1080/60p video, they use a lot of power and heat up. Newer machines do the same within a 1W thermal envelope.
Re: put out to pasture [ a.k.a. pasteurization ]?!.....Apple adds these devices to 'vintage/obsolete' list......
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 12, 2020 01:41PM
I am pretty sure it is more that they can't find parts to repair them any more. This is an especially significant issue now because Apple has been trying to limit access to parts in the third party repair market. Apple is one of the worst players in fighting right-to-repair.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Re: put out to pasture [ a.k.a. pasteurization ]?!.....Apple adds these devices to 'vintage/obsolete' list......
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 12, 2020 04:36PM
And my mid-2012 carries on.

The Betty White of Macs

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: jh
Date: May 12, 2020 05:17PM
Ombligo

The Betty White of Macs

Same here.
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: May 12, 2020 05:58PM
and my mid 2013 Macbook Air I bought a couple of months ago to replace my 2011 Macbook Air so I could run Catalina is a piece of junk.

The main reason I even use my Macs is the ecosystem. Most of what I do is with a browser anyway, so I could probably make due with a Chromebook or one of my aging Thinkpads.

Just remembering when I had a Pismo that lasted all the way through 10.4, and did just fine filling my needs.
Posted by: gabester
Date: May 12, 2020 07:32PM
If you've got a vintage Mac just remember you can still run a modern operating system on it - install Windows 10 or Linux! It's because of this that I have a hard time endorsing any future Apple hardware purchases... what will the value proposition of a 2021 MacBook w/ARM-based CPU be in 2026 or later when it becomes "vintage"...

Especially that FIRST generation of ARM Macs... they'll be a lot like the gen 1 iPad methinks, which had a lifespan of less than 3 years of full Apple support (was it really less than 2, like 20 months?!) I'm getting vintage myself...
Posted by: datbeme
Date: May 12, 2020 08:27PM
Holy Hell! My MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) was already obsolete, and I didn't even know it.

Then again, this could come in handy in justifying an upgrade sometime soon.
Posted by: Don C
Date: May 12, 2020 10:01PM
My Mid-2010 15" MBP seems to be doing just fine with High Sierra. Use it pretty much as a music player and every now and again a CD player.

The iPad I bought YEARS ago is about dead, though. Been using it to watch TV on the Spectrum app when I am in the kitchen well away from the nearest TV, but that app has stopped running. It is also really slow so I suspect it will be headed to the recycling bin sometime soon.

Spectrum app doesn't work all that well on my new iPhone, though. All too often it plays sound but not video and the iPhone does not recognize that the app is running and shuts down. Which has nothing to do with the original post!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 12, 2020 11:24PM
Ombligo

The Betty White of Macs

Same for me!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: rz
Date: May 13, 2020 07:53AM
That means that all of our Macs, save my son's 2014 mini, are obsolete. My 2012 Pro, 2010 MBP and 2006 Macbook, and my wife's 2008 iMac and 2010 MBP. Yet we somehow manage to get a heck of a lot done with those "obsolete" computers.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 13, 2020 09:13AM
rz
That means that all of our Macs, save my son's 2014 mini, are obsolete. My 2012 Pro, 2010 MBP and 2006 Macbook, and my wife's 2008 iMac and 2010 MBP. Yet we somehow manage to get a heck of a lot done with those "obsolete" computers.

Even my PM8600 gets occasional use. I remember calling Apple for assistance shortly after I acquired it, only to learn they had just discontinued support -- that month. Not happy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 272
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018