advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MR Forum Video Conference Series: Does this webcam make me look...wide?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 12, 2020 05:00PM
Welcome to the MR Forum Video Conference Series, where pRICE cUBE attempts to give helpful hints on improving how others view you. Feel free to add information.

The following is based on my training and experience years of pointing lenses at people for money. These are all suggestions so do what is best for your situation. You may ask for a refund at any time.

In today's topic we discuss why your webcam make you look wider than you perceive yourself to be.

That webcam is probably making you look a bit wider the you perceive yourself. There are a few reasons for this that are correctable.

-Wide Angle Effect: Webcam lenses are typically set to be wide angle field of view. Most portraits of the head and shoulders uses a "normal (not wide or telephoto view)" to telephoto type lenses. Wide angle lenses and to make people look wider, particular as subject matter is toward the sides of the image. Objects closer to the wide angle lens tend to look larger in comparison. If you put your face right up to a wide angle lens, your nose may appear disproportionally larger than the rest of your body.

A fix for this may be adding a lens in from of your webcam that magnifies the angle of view. There are kits for smartphones that fit many tablets. For $19 shipped you can buy this add on lens set which has a few lenses including a 2X lens. [preview.tinyurl.com] . You should be able to use the 2X lens to change the lens to a "normal" or even slightly telephoto lens by magnifying the file of view to show a narrower angle. The other lenses in the kid can modify close up shooting for small objects or wider lenses. Those may be fun but now part of improving video conference image.

-Angle Of View:

Another compounding reason why your webcam makes you look wider is the angle of which your camera is located. Likely your smartphones, tablets, and laptops are lower than your face and pointing upward toward the underside of your chin. Lower angles exaggerate your neck size in possibly unflattering ways. The image below shows the underneath angle, then straight on, concluding with slightly pointed downward at the subject. The angle can change what part of the face and neck are emphasized. You will do yourself and others a favor by not showing what is up your nostrils by eliminating the lower angle.

You can fix this by placing your phone, tablet, laptop at a higher angle. A laptop an be placed on a box or books since your fellow conference attended can't se the book.
Tablets and phones can also be propped higher or use these articulating arm holders [www.amazon.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2020 05:07PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MR Forum Video Conference Series: Does this webcam make me look...wide?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 12, 2020 10:57PM
I mount my iPhone on top of my monitors (slightly above eyelevel) using a bendy tripod. I wish Zoom could do a 2x zoom even square aspect ratio!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Re: MR Forum Video Conference Series: Does this webcam make me look...wide?
Posted by: datbeme
Date: May 12, 2020 11:15PM
I really like this Rain Design stand that I've had for several years. I mainly use it for docking my MBP (often closed) while using an external monitor, but I encouraged my wife to use it for video calls, and I think it may belong to her now.

[www.amazon.com]

I was looking into buying her one of her own when I came across this:

[www.amazon.com]

Doesn't look quite as polished as the Rain Design stand, and it's a bit pricey, but the flexibility in angles/heights is intriguing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 191
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020