advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
office chair recommendation
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 13, 2020 09:52PM
I bought my current office chair at a yard sale for $10. It has been adequate but a few parts have failed and it needs to be replaced soon. I'm looking for recommendations. I would say my two criteria would be 1) it needs to hold a lot of weight and 2) have a comfy seat (two back surgeries). Thanks for any recommendations I'm pretty sure I can score one for father's day.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: office chair recommendation
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 14, 2020 08:49AM
Discussion on this topic back in January.

Lots of options & several links posted too.
smiley-signs003

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: May 14, 2020 09:54AM
I got one of these from Sams about 2 months ago. It sounds weird to buy a Gaming Chair but I find it comfortable & adjustable. $149 in Store.

Respawn-S110 Racing-Style Gaming Chair, Reclining Ergonomic Leather Chair with Footrest (Various Colors)

Item # 980114161

Model # RSP-S110-GR

Fred
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 14, 2020 10:27AM
Home office or office office?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: May 14, 2020 10:32AM
Definitely don't pass on trying the Aeron. You can get mint condition units (you sound like you'll see the largest C size, like me) used all over the country. Check CraigsList and eBay and online.

Also, a little hidden trick: go to the back the Aeron chair and place your finger between the mesh and under the plastic curled lip on top of the back support right behind where it is written “Herman Miller.” Feel the inside part of the plastic with your finger. If you feel 1 dot that tells you that you have a Size A; 2 dots Size B, and in my case, a triangle of 3 dots for the size C. I suspect you have a B from both the photo and that I've been to a few of those office sales and 99% of them are all Size B.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: JPK
Date: May 14, 2020 10:51AM
The Aeron is expensive, but worth it. I have had mine for over a almost 15 years. I am a believer in buying quality over quantity. That's why I have a Mac too.

JPK
Date: May 14, 2020 10:55AM
JPK
The Aeron is expensive, but worth it.

Same. Have had Aeron(s) since the year they came out. And I just saw a local seller selling B and C Aeron chairs in great shape for $435. Definitely worth seeing if they fit your particular bio-mechanics.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: John B.
Date: May 14, 2020 11:47AM
Sitting in my Aeron that I bought in '96 or '97. I've replaced two parts...the lumbar support bar eventually dried out and cracked, and I put skateboard casters on it last year (sooooo much quieter on hard surfaces).

The "buy once, cry once" saying definitely applies here.
Date: May 14, 2020 11:58AM
Same: I upgraded the wheels a number of years back, mine were of a higher profile (3 inch diameter) which gave me an extra inch in overall height AND were quieter.

John B.
Sitting in my Aeron that I bought in '96 or '97. I've replaced two parts...the lumbar support bar eventually dried out and cracked, and I put skateboard casters on it last year (sooooo much quieter on hard surfaces).

The "buy once, cry once" saying definitely applies here.

Posted by: d4
Date: May 14, 2020 12:25PM
davemchine
office chair recommendation

Facebook Marketplace. Negotiate the price down aggressively to $10 in person.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 14, 2020 11:04PM
I just bought one. I had a Dr visit and told him about me working at home and needing a new chair. I asked him to write me a scrip for one.

He took his pad out, wrote "ERGO CHAIR" and handed it to me. I went to Office Depot. and picked a pretty good one for $179 ( I would have gone to IKEA if was open).

Took it home, put it together, big improvement.

Photo'd the scrip and receipt and emailed to my FSA account. A couple of days later I checked my account and the check is on the way!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: d4
Date: May 15, 2020 08:38AM
Rolando
I asked him to write me a scrip for one.
He took his pad out, wrote "ERGO CHAIR" and handed it to me.

My old Mac Mini is so slow it's causing me physical stress. Will a doctor write a prescription for a new Mac Mini and will I get reimbursed from an FSA account?

Posted by: jdc
Date: May 15, 2020 12:46PM
Rolando
I went to Office Depot. and picked a pretty good one for $179 ( I would have gone to IKEA if was open).

Thats awesome... not sure If I would ever use the words "good one" for a $200 office chair... they still seem to suck. (Im sitting in one, meh)

ikea doenst have anything better, so no loss.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 15, 2020 01:21PM
IF IKEA was open, I would have gone for this one
[www.ikea.com]

There's a roundup on Wirecutter.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 285
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018