advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I added a diagram of how to use a wall and ceiling to reflect light for video conferences
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 14, 2020 04:47PM
Welcome to the MR Forum Video Conference Series, where pRICE cUBE attempts to give helpful hints on improving how others view you. Feel free to add information.

The following is based on my training and experience years of pointing lenses at people for money. These are all suggestions so do what is best for your situation. You may ask for a refund at any time.

Previous thread [forums.macresource.com]

This is the lighting I described where one can accomplish if the light source can be pointed to a specific direction. By aiming it near where the ceiling meets the wall, light should bounce in several angles. This should help you avoid the raccoon eyes look from direct from above light.

This trick may require more light power so a 100 watt equivalent or stronger may be required to successfully accomplish this.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I added a diagram of how to use a wall and ceiling to reflect light for video conferences
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 14, 2020 04:59PM
Good stuff, pRICE!

My wife thanked me for the white foam core I put on her desk to help fill the shadows on her face during Zoom sessions with her students. Another tip was to try to keep her face and the background at a similar level of lighting: with her MBP camera doing a simple average of light across the field with a dark background, her face was overly bright and harsh. Lighting up the background to about the level of her face was a big improvement.

Re: I added a diagram of how to use a wall and ceiling to reflect light for video conferences
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 14, 2020 05:17PM
I don't have the space for most of pRICE's great suggestions as I have 2 offices in my 11x15 bedroom (yes, with a bed & dresser in there already), but my ace in the hole is a wide, tall window right behind my monitor which I can open up for pretty good lighting when Zoomin'.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 14, 2020 05:40PM
Any number of household items can act as light diffusers - just aim your light through a sheet of wax paper, a shower curtain, lace/chiffon type material, a t-shirt works too. Even an old plastic food storage container can scatter light enough to work.

That lightbox you always wanted? try a white latex balloon or a blown up garbage bag.

If you want to spend about $30, this is a nice basic setup. The stand can be short enough to sit on the table and light you over your laptop. My son had one from when he was taking a class and needed to make a video, my wife is now using it for her zoom sessions.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: May 14, 2020 06:43PM
Ombligo
Any number of household items can act as light diffusers - just aim your light through a sheet of wax paper, a shower curtain, lace/chiffon type material, a t-shirt works too. Even an old plastic food storage container can scatter light enough to work.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: May 14, 2020 06:49PM
Lew Zealand
I don't have the space for most of pRICE's great suggestions as I have 2 offices in my 11x15 bedroom (yes, with a bed & dresser in there already), but my ace in the hole is a wide, tall window right behind my monitor which I can open up for pretty good lighting when Zoomin'.

You can use lost in space's idea of a white pasteboard to kick in some filler light in case the window causes uneven lighting from one side. Foam board is easier to deal with since it holds the shape more rigidly. White cardboard from Costco has helped me in a pinch.

Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: May 15, 2020 01:38AM
Please continue with this topic as it is pertinent to lots of what's going on. I've participated in half a dozen online meetings and it's true -- more than half the others on my screen were either weirdly lighted or oddly placed in the frame or too far back or too close. This is not all that surprising considering the placement of the lens on your typical laptop and considering the placement of the laptop and the person in the typical room. Backlighting is a typical problem.

A really cheap expedient: I once did a video for a friend and he didn't have any sort of studio lighting. We walked over to the local hardware store and bought a couple of bulb and reflector sets, and I pointed them at crinkled up space blankets (cost about $2 each) which gave a nicely diffused effect. You get a little more light intensity than just pointing the lights at a matte painted wall.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 196
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020