advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
the stars align?!.....CBS All Access orders new spin-off 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds'.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 15, 2020 10:24AM
.....will be with Captain Pike, Spock, and #1......spin-off of 'Star Trek: Discovery'.....

........Anson Mount, Rebecca Romijn and Ethan Peck return......

Star Trek Spinoff Strange New Worlds Starring Discovery's Pike, Spock and Number One Ordered at CBS All Access

.......A trio of fan favorites from Star Trek: Discovery are boldly going towards their own series.

CBS All Access has ordered Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, a spinoff with stars Anson Mount, Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijn reprising their Discovery roles as Captain Pike, Spock and Number One. The series will follow the trio “in the decade before Captain Kirk boarded the U.S.S. Enterprise, as they explore new worlds around the galaxy,” per the official description.

Discovery and Star Trek: Picard executive producer Akiva Goldsman will pen the series premiere from a story by him and his Discovery and Picard colleagues Alex Kurtzman and Jenny Lumet. Strange New Worlds becomes the fifth Trek series at CBS All Access, following Discovery, Picard, upcoming animated offshoot Star Trek: Lower Decks and a spinoff starring Michelle Yeoh as Discovery‘s Philippa Georgiou that is currently in development.

Mount (Hell on Wheels), Peck (Penny Dreadful: City of Angels) and Romijn (Ugly Betty) debuted as Pike, Spock and Number One on Season 2 of Discovery, which aired last year on CBS All Access. (All three characters were first introduced on the original 1966-69 Star Trek series.) Fans clamored for them to continue, but Season 2 ended with Burnham and the Discovery crew traveling a thousand years into the future and leaving the rest behind. (Season 3 of Discovery is set to premiere later this year.)

“Fans fell in love with Anson Mount, Rebecca Romijn and Ethan Peck’s portrayals of these iconic characters when they were first introduced on Star Trek: Discovery last season,” CBS All Access executive vice president and head of programming Julie McNamara said in a statement. “This new series will be a perfect complement to the franchise, bringing a whole new perspective and series of adventures to Star Trek.”

another.......spin-off.....?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2020 10:32AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: the stars align?!.....CBS All Access orders new spin-off 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds'.....
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 15, 2020 10:29AM
Spock? There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I really liked Pike, it will be cool to follow him. Not 100% excited about the Spock retcon, but I follow Trek for a good story, not salvation from my sins.
Re: the stars align?!.....CBS All Access orders new spin-off 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds'.....
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 15, 2020 11:00AM
Acer

I really liked Pike, it will be cool to follow him. Not 100% excited about the Spock retcon, but I follow Trek for a good story, not salvation from my sins.

I may be misunderstanding you.. but, in Canon, Spock did serve with Captain Pike on the Enterprise, before Kirk. So, which Retcon are we talking about?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: May 15, 2020 11:05AM
Paul F.
Acer

I may be misunderstanding you.. but, in Canon, Spock did serve with Captain Pike on the Enterprise, before Kirk. So, which Retcon are we talking about?

The whole Discovery/brother-sister thing.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 15, 2020 11:35AM
If they create enough new Star Trek shows, they'll eventually come up with one that's good.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 15, 2020 12:03PM
Acer
Paul F.
Acer

Oh, yeah... that $#!^ show... With you there... :-)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 15, 2020 01:20PM
Paul F.
Acer
Paul F.
Acer

Oh, yeah... that $#!^ show... With you there... :-)

So, this is after Enterprise and before Discovery?

Or they're retconning a new ending to Discovery already?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2020 01:22PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 15, 2020 02:51PM
freeradical
If they create enough new Star Trek shows, they'll eventually come up with one that's good.

I think that's my only hope. Mount was the best thing on STD (Probably the only good thing). Maybe it will be tolerable without Wesley Sue Burnham.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 15, 2020 02:54PM
Anything after Enterprise is not canon, so far as I'm concerned. What a mess they've made of things...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: May 15, 2020 05:23PM
PeterB
Anything after Enterprise is not canon, so far as I'm concerned. What a mess they've made of things...

What makes you think that Enterprise should be canon?

A 2500 mile chasm in the earth that wasn't there in TOS is canon? The Nazis had giant alien beam-weapons in WWII?

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 15, 2020 05:26PM
I'm the lone hold out in that I really dig Discovery.

It's not your grandfather's Star Trek.

It's the Wild West in space before things came to the TOS and TNG that seem to cast molds that no one seem can be broken.

There's a saying 'Sometimes you have to break the law to enforce the law' and I think canon can be subtitled nicely.

So it's a jigsaw puzzle with pieces that don't fit.

That doesn't bother me at all.

I thought Pike was far too good to just go off into the past never to be spoken of again.

I'm thrilled to see Mount get another Star Trek gig.

I wish there were more Hell on Wheels. He was amazing in that.

Aside from his voice, I still have trouble seeing any vestige of Bohannon in Pike, and even that's a stretch.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 15, 2020 05:50PM
Sarcany
PeterB

What makes you think that Enterprise should be canon?

A 2500 mile chasm in the earth that wasn't there in TOS is canon? The Nazis had giant alien beam-weapons in WWII?

The first item to which you refer, I presume that between the time of Enterprise and TOS, there was repair, etc.; also it's not clear that this happened in the main timeline because of a comment by Daniels that they had no record of the Xindi attack. The second item to which you refer, similar thing in a way, Daniels comments that the timeline has been repaired and one would assume that evil space Nazis were in a self-contained timeline.

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: May 15, 2020 06:33PM
I lost interested as soon as I saw the names Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman. No-talent ass-clown hacks.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 15, 2020 08:55PM
This will be terrible. I'll still give it a few episodes.
Date: May 15, 2020 09:59PM
sekker
This will be terrible. I'll still give it a few episodes.

That's what I said about STD and then Picard. Picard, I was willing to look past lots and lots of terrible writing, inconsistencies with canon, etc., etc., but the straw that broke the camel's back was when

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2020 10:00PM by PeterB.
Date: May 15, 2020 11:19PM
PeterB
but the straw that broke the camel's back was when [SPOILER]...

Hey!

We agree on something Trek!!

Date: May 16, 2020 12:17AM
PeterB
Daniels comments that the timeline has been repaired and one would assume that evil space Nazis were in a self-contained timeline.

There are no self-contained timelines. There's one timeline. This is explained in the season 2 opener. If new universes split off with each change then what's the point of the temporal war? Your actions to alter history have no consequences. Your universe goes on as it would have without your alterations. You've just made a new one with a continuity-gap.

Back to the Nazis: The time-tunnel thing was broken and with the aliens out of the picture there was no way to power their super-weapons. But Daniels provided no mechanism for erasing the Nazi invasion of the United States.

I suppose the temporal cops might have cleaned things up after the Allies regrouped and knocked the Germans back, providing sufficient continuity to bring them back into existence.

...But then, why wouldn't they clean up the Paraagan II colony disaster and erase the war with the Xindi while they were at it?

It's more likely that the Nazis took the East Coast of the U.S., but with all of their industry focused on the new weapons and without the ability to power them, we kicked their butts back to Europe and that was "close enough" from the perspective of the 31st century that they considered the timeline repaired. Daniels' phrasing was "All of the damage they caused never happened." Which may simply be taken as "My own home and family exist again."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 12:23AM by Sarcany.
Date: May 16, 2020 08:55AM
Time travel. Ever since my first day in the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these god-forsaken paradoxes. The future is the past, the past is the future. It all gives me a headache.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 16, 2020 03:22PM
Sarcany
PeterB
Daniels comments that the timeline has been repaired and one would assume that evil space Nazis were in a self-contained timeline.

There are no self-contained timelines. There's one timeline. This is explained in the season 2 opener. If new universes split off with each change then what's the point of the temporal war? Your actions to alter history have no consequences. Your universe goes on as it would have without your alterations. You've just made a new one with a continuity-gap.

Back to the Nazis: The time-tunnel thing was broken and with the aliens out of the picture there was no way to power their super-weapons. But Daniels provided no mechanism for erasing the Nazi invasion of the United States.

I suppose the temporal cops might have cleaned things up after the Allies regrouped and knocked the Germans back, providing sufficient continuity to bring them back into existence.

...But then, why wouldn't they clean up the Paraagan II colony disaster and erase the war with the Xindi while they were at it?

It's more likely that the Nazis took the East Coast of the U.S., but with all of their industry focused on the new weapons and without the ability to power them, we kicked their butts back to Europe and that was "close enough" from the perspective of the 31st century that they considered the timeline repaired. Daniels' phrasing was "All of the damage they caused never happened." Which may simply be taken as "My own home and family exist again."

Not quite. Storm Front Part 2. The episode ends with Daniels showing Archer the threads of the timeline resetting themselves back to normal, as the Temporal Cold War finally ends.

So no Nazi invasion of NY.

The scar was probably partially repaired, I would think. This was a century after WW3, I don't think humanity would wallow in a tragedy. Remember and move on.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 196
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020