advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Teachers should have bottomless mimosas and baby unicorns to pet
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 15, 2020 03:15PM
A "dad" gives his thoughts on teachers after having his children home for two months.

[www.facebook.com]

(3 minutes, no account needed, & yes, I know he is a comedian)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Teachers should have bottomless mimosas and baby unicorns to pet
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 15, 2020 03:19PM
THEY'RE HORRIBLE !
Posted by: hal
Date: May 15, 2020 04:07PM
I saw a tweet at the very beginning of all this saying, 'after 2 hours of home schooling our 6 year old, I've decided that all teachers should be paid $1,000,000/year.'
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 15, 2020 04:09PM
I suspect that if teacher unions could find an effective way to deal with protected deadwood, they'd have a lot easier time with the public.

I recall my passage from parochial school nuns (who would throw themselves on a flaming pyre to force feed you) to local public school teachers riding out retirement. The contrast was stunning.

My truncated trip through 10th grade in a public setting found but one dedicated teacher, as it happened she was an English teacher without whom I'd never had plodded through everything Dickens ever wrote at a penny a word.

It was in a blue collar city adjacent to Boston. The teaching body as a whole was somnolent and that reflected in a 50% dropout rate.

I left that for a return to private education.

I know things have changed but the problem unions have dealing with deadwood has been probably the most truculent one they have to deal with and a choice target for anti-union activity. Unions are vital and needed but shrinking in numbers, vitality and impact. (no Oxford comma needed)
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 15, 2020 05:01PM
I encountered very little deadwood in my K-12 public education. Some were better than others, but I would consider none truly incapable. As (briefly) a teacher myself, a few teachers I worked with were close to retirement and not very innovative, but they ran a tight ship and the kids respected them. Now, as an environmental educator who works with many teachers, I am amazed at the energy that classroom teachers must maintain 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. All with the Test Scores hounding them like they were some sort of Amazon warehouse picker enslaved to metrics.

Teaching takes tremendous emotional energy. It's more like being a stage performer, you burn twice the normal energy of anyone in the audience or pushing paperwork in the office.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 15, 2020 06:01PM
I’ve seen toxic burnouts using the union to keep them going. But I’ve seen FAR more incredibly motivated and committed teachers. Both my parents included. Teachers are one of the primary forces for the future. And should be celebrated and compensated accordingly!
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 15, 2020 06:28PM
As I've stated in the past, good teachers are indeed underpaid, but there really ought to be a way to vote out the piss-poor teachers.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 15, 2020 06:56PM
In my K-12 education I had only one that qualified as deadwood, Mr. Ferriole, who "taught" 8th grade science. He had a pizza parlor that he worked nights, and during the day, he sat in the back of the classroom at his desk and slept, assigning us reading during the class period.

I got my teacher certification for special ed K-8, which required me to run a regular ed classroom for half a year, then a special ed one for two months. I never worked so hard in my life. The regular classroom was a lesson in humility. Everybody should do this at least once in their life. Upon gradation, other opportunities came up; I never did teach.

Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 15, 2020 07:03PM
IMO, teachers have been the whipping boys (and girls) of parents and politics for at least 20 years. I believe the biggest reason has been the steady erosion of a school district’s ability to impose discipline due to litigation and irresponsible parents. To be fair, teacher unions themselves sacrificed their own effectiveness by failing to draw the line on discipline.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 15, 2020 07:29PM
RgrF
I suspect that if teacher unions could find an effective way to deal with protected deadwood, they'd have a lot easier time with the public.

I recall my passage from parochial school nuns (who would throw themselves on a flaming pyre to force feed you) to local public school teachers riding out retirement. The contrast was stunning.

My truncated trip through 10th grade in a public setting found but one dedicated teacher, as it happened she was an English teacher without whom I'd never had plodded through everything Dickens ever wrote at a penny a word.

It was in a blue collar city adjacent to Boston. The teaching body as a whole was somnolent and that reflected in a 50% dropout rate.

I left that for a return to private education.

I know things have changed but the problem unions have dealing with deadwood has been probably the most truculent one they have to deal with and a choice target for anti-union activity. Unions are vital and needed but shrinking in numbers, vitality and impact. (no Oxford comma needed)

The issue isn't necessarily the deadwood, it is that with the unions and contracts there is absolutely no way to reward an excellent teacher and penalize a poor teacher. Compensation is all based on years of experience and level of advanced degrees. Nothing to do with how effective they are in the classroom. The other issue is that the only way to advance in K12 is to either leave K12 for Higher Ed or get an administrators license and stop teaching. Combine that with poor funding for schools and all of that leaves us where we are at now.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: May 15, 2020 07:49PM
Union contracts came about as a result of political interference in curriculum and job issues stemming from elected school boards - cure the political problem and you'll cure most issues.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 15, 2020 08:26PM
RgrF
Union contracts came about as a result of political interference in curriculum and job issues stemming from elected school boards - cure the political problem and you'll cure most issues.

Yep, same for any created union. It’s not as if people get together with the primary intention of protecting their jobs without performance (unless they’re a politician.)

Worrying about the few bad apples is 100% obfuscation. Spend money, real money if you want it to succeed. Attract the best! Kneecap it like we normally do, and you get a convenient punching bag for every perceived slight.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 15, 2020 08:41PM
The most frustrated teachers that I see today are the teachers who have refused to relax standards in either work or discipline. They are in a constant battle with students, parents, and administrators who want things made easier for various reasons.

Burned out teachers are often that way not because of the students, but due to those constant battles with school administrators

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 15, 2020 08:48PM
Both of my parents taught and I can attest to the stories of administrations that either supported them or who got in the way with meaningless B.S.
Date: May 15, 2020 10:55PM
My daughter is now in her 20th year of teaching and has apparently learned something from my admonitions - she's voted the student/family favorite teacher for almost a decade.

She just loves what she does. Loving what you do, given an opportunity to do it and still getting paid for doing it is her idea of Nirvana. I'm so happy she's my daughter and has had taken the opportunities afforded her. No teacher an be more gratified than when, years later, their former students return and attest to that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 07:27AM by RgrF.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

JoeH , Racer X , RE:up , timg , Z
Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018