advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tired of simplistic movies and evaporating television? Try BOOKS! (a couple of recommends)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 15, 2020 08:52PM
Want to really get away from disaster-wracked world? Books do a great job. No commercials, no superficial idiot plots, something you can actually say: "Hey, that was not only interesting, but it's also FUN!"

What I'm reading now.
Crucible of War: The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754 - 1766
Fred Anderson takes readers on a remarkable journey through the vast conflict that, between 1755 and 1763, destroyed the French Empire in North America, overturned the balance of power on two continents, undermined the ability of Indian nations to determine their destinies, and lit the "long fuse" of the American Revolution.
Wow, a fumbling 21 year old Lt. Col. George Washington actually kicked off the huge world wars in 1754? You bet. The French (and Indians) are winning and the English are losing, then in 1758, Wm Pitt becomes Prime Minister and the harvests go bad in Canada. The colonists don't want the imbecile Royal Army/Navy telling them what to do until.... Well, you'll just have to read it yourself. .
Give it a 101 page try at Google Books. (It's like an epic SciFi, only more amazing.) [www.google.com] You'll never think the same of the American Revolution again...it happened BEFORE 1775.

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
Tired of Dune? I am. Roger Zelazny's excursion to a planet where the original colonists rule over the late-comers as Hindu Gods won him the Hugo.

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. It took me many, many weeks to get through Pynchon's 'one of the best books of the 20th Century'. It's got it's own wiki [gravitys-rainbow.pynchonwiki.com] and guides and hundreds of discussions. Why, because it's SO GOOD. The V-2 rockets and more sex and paranoid adventures than you can possibly imagine.
Hint: start off with this review from 1973...it'll get you right into fun. [gravitys-rainbow.pynchonwiki.com] Can a book that starts with 'A screaming comes across the sky' be all bad? (It's over 400,000 words, making our plague-ridden world a distant calamity).

Want some Pynchon that's shorter and more detective noir humorous stunts? Then you want Inherent Vice! Pay no attention to the confused really poorly done movie version featuring the questionable talents of Joaquin Phoenix. The books the real thing...and you'll fall in love with all the characters. (Plenty of Pynchonesque
sex, too!)

Yes, you could buy these books (I recommend 'used' from the non-Amazon sites). But if your library is set up correctly, you can download both audio and ebook version for FREE! After reading the huge Gravity's rainbow, I downloaded the audiobook from Overdrive. The aural version puts a new light on the tale. The Crucible of War is also available in audio and is just plain nifty. (Your library may or may not have both of these...check)

One more thing. I have been attempting to read James Joyce's 'Ulysses' for decades. Couldn't make a dent. Then I downloaded an audio version. It's a symphony of words and unbelievably great.

So dump those stupid reruns of 'F Troop' and lose yourself in a world far away...BOOKS!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tired of simplistic movies and evaporating television? Try BOOKS! (a couple of recommends)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 15, 2020 09:48PM
Delta-V
When itinerant cave diver James Tighe receives an invitation to billionaire Nathan Joyce's private island, he thinks it must be a mistake. But Tighe's unique skill set makes him a prime candidate for Joyce's high-risk venture to mine a near-earth asteroid—with the goal of kick-starting an entire off-world economy.

or if your reading interests are more down to earth

The Crimson Petal and the White
Sugar, an alluring, nineteen-year-old w hore in the brothel of the terrifying Mrs Castaway, yearns for a better life and her ascent through the strata of 1870's London society offers us intimacy with a host of loveable, maddening and superbly realised characters.
Re: Tired of simplistic movies and evaporating television? Try BOOKS! (a couple of recommends)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 15, 2020 10:02PM
the Ulysses recommendation for audio is a good one, I may try that.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 15, 2020 11:13PM
Reading Helter Skelter and Gone With The Wind now. McCarthy's The Road is next.

It is what it is.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: May 15, 2020 11:14PM
For something a bit more relevant try Stephen Kings "The Stand" written in 1974. Amazing some of the similarities to current pandemic. While the degree of severity is far different some of the same societal breakdowns are evident.

[www.amazon.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 260
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018