advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So you want to be a coronavirus contact tracer? There's a FREE class for that
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 15, 2020 10:57PM
Hey, it's a job that's a lot better than a supermarket cashier.

So you want to be a coronavirus contact tracer? There's a class for that
[phys.org]

Hunting down people exposed to the coronavirus and quarantining them is seen as a vital step in controlling its spread, and now Johns Hopkins University has created a free online course to turn people of all backgrounds into a nationwide force of hunters.

The course for so-called contact tracers was specifically created for the state of New York, which plans to quickly hire thousands of the workers. But officials expect the six-hour class and assessment to be used by health departments around the country and maybe the globe to stem cases, particularly after states begin to reopen.

"We can't stop all transmission, but it's still an important effort to keep cases low," said Emily S. Gurley, an infectious disease epidemiologist in Hopkins' Bloomberg School of Public Health and the course's lead instructor. "Every little bit is going to have an impact."

Hopkins had previously released a report finding that 100,000 tracers would be needed nationwide, at a cost of about $3.6 billion for a year. In the absence of a federally coordinated effort to conduct widespread testing and tracing, the report said the effort would have to be done by states and local governments.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So you want to be a coronavirus contact tracer? There's a FREE class for that
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 16, 2020 08:27AM
Here’s the Coursera link: [www.coursera.org]

I think most states are seeing more applicants than they can hire, but that’s no reason not to take the free course if interested!
Re: So you want to be a coronavirus contact tracer? There's a FREE class for that
Posted by: mstudio
Date: May 16, 2020 08:47AM
My cousin is taking the course and is half-way through. She's getting a little nervous about it since its basically making cold calls with your own phone. Also at the end of your call, you are supposed to give the person all of your personal contact information. She said she will finish the course and get certified but is uncertain if she would take the job if offered. I suggested a second phone and email address to use just for that.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 16, 2020 09:19AM
I had questions about that too. When a similar effort was done back in the ‘50s the world was different. I’m not saying we shouldn’t try, but that yeah it’s gonna take a “special kind of person” to give up a piece of themselves to offer this sort of help. It’s not like working at a call center. Tracers are expected to be sounding boards, potential resources for assistance —- not just drone making note of who’s sick.

But hey, in some places it pays up to what, $65K or so, right? Not a bad way to make money with a cellphone.
Posted by: mspace
Date: May 16, 2020 11:04AM
I would get a google voice number just for that.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 16, 2020 01:57PM
‘ I enrolled in a coronavirus contact tracing academy ‘

[arstechnica.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

JoeH , Racer X , RE:up , timg , Z
Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018