advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MR Forum Video Conference Series: pRICE cUBE, you insensitive clod, I don't want to spend $50+ on a background kit
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 16, 2020 01:27AM
Welcome to the MR Forum Video Conference Series, where pRICE cUBE attempts to give helpful hints on improving how others view you.

The following is based on my training and experience years of pointing lenses at people for money.

Feel free to add information.

These are all suggestions so do what is best for your situation.

You may ask for a refund at any time.

You don't have to have a clear background, I just prefer my backgrounds to be free of any distractions or judgments people may have about my home office. If you don't mind and are not bothered by what others think, carry on.

Items around the house such as tablecloths, bedsheets, shower curtain can provide a less cluttered background.

Run a test to make ensure you see only the background. See how it looks and how you feel about it.

Make sure it is not wrinkled or have stains.

Your background's color may be affected by the white balance due to the light reflecting off of its surface. Color will also be affected by the webcam and software used.

You can use a bookshelf, ceiling hangers, shower curtain rod with hooks to keep the background up. This way one can move it after use to free up space.

If you are looking for a cheap and large background that will last, here is one for less than $8 measuring at 72"x72"[www.amazon.com]

Table coverings can be used not only for background but as light modifiers such as DIY soft boxes (just make sure you vent heat properly).

6 pack of a color table covering $12 54". x 108" [www.amazon.com]

7 pack white or other colors 54" x 108" $13 [www.amazon.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 02:22AM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MR Forum Video Conference Series: pRICE cUBE, you insensitive clod, I don't want to spend $50+ on a background kit
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: May 16, 2020 02:26AM
To this I will add that not all flesh tones are complimented by all background colors, and many YouTubers and Podcasters have, inadvertently it seems, chosen THE least flattering shade for their skin tone to use as a background thereby making themselves look pale, flushed, ashy, jaundiced, or in one case where a new background set was built featuring wood that is exactly the same shade as the host's skin, like the wall at the back of the set has eyes and a mouth and is hosting the show.

Although it is probably not many people's first choice of background color, the shade that seems to be the most flattering to the broadest spectrum of skin tones is a dull, slightly-lighter-than-medium olive green.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Re: MR Forum Video Conference Series: pRICE cUBE, you insensitive clod, I don't want to spend $50+ on a background kit
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 16, 2020 08:39AM
Some folks could even spend $0 just by rearranging the room so that it’s uncluttered but “normal” looking. This is where the “best looking bookshelf” ideas have become popular.

Of course, any change begets new challenges. For example if your entire room becomes the backdrop, a tiny camera’s vast DoF may lead to distractions when everything behind you is in focus. But don’t go for a total blur, just a natural looking slight blur.

At work we’ve often been using MS Teams recently-introduced fake backgrounds. Several are cartoonish (Minecraft, alien-like balloons, fantasy-book creations) but there are some plainer at-home “rooms” available too.) In typical MS fashion, they can’t think of the basics such as a way for the app to remember your choice from one video call to the next.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 08:40AM by deckeda.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 16, 2020 11:57AM
deckeda
Some folks could even spend $0 just by rearranging the room so that it’s uncluttered but “normal” looking. This is where the “best looking bookshelf” ideas have become popular.

Thats sounds practical but not as fun wiggle smiley

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 190
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020