advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The curious incident of the telephone wire - help!
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: May 16, 2020 06:36AM
Hi all,

How's everybody doing on lockdown? Starting to go stir crazy here - the highlight of my week was taking recycles to the dump.

Anyway, have the typical phone/internet/cable bundle. House is wired up the hilt (parents house) Phone stopped getting a signal in the kitchen. Tried other outlets - nothing. Called the cable company and they did a reset from their end - no joy. Figured that it might be the phone unit (it's been wonky for awhile on other things and pretty old) so ordered a new one and that came Thursday. Plugged it into the house wiring - no joy.

However, plugged the new phone unit directly into the router - got dial tone. Great...BUT tried plugging the router back into the house wiring with a different piece of telephone cable (thinking it may be that cable is bad). No joy.

Would the router be the issue? The internet and cable work fine throughout this.

Or is it the house wiring and how does one trouble shoot that? I have no idea where to start on something like this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The curious incident of the telephone wire - help!
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 16, 2020 06:52AM
check the telephone cable between the router and the wall. maybe it came loose or it needs to be replaced.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 16, 2020 07:47AM
Lizabeth,

In old houses, the telephone wires are old and munged up to the point that once a problem occurs it's neither time nor cost-effective to try and fix the issue. And, that assumes you can find the issue at all. I'd stop using the old wires entirely and switch to a quality cordless phone system with multiple handsets. Connect the base to the phone port on the modem/router. Place handsets in various locations over the house. Done.

Robert
Date: May 16, 2020 08:03AM
Tried a different telephone cable - no joy.

The house isn't that old - maybe 10 years?

Thinking it may be the wall plate that's gone off. Or at least that's the next step in this adventure.
Date: May 16, 2020 08:12AM
Lizabeth,

Sorry for the incorrect conclusion. When people say parent's house, it usually means old. Doesn't change my recommendation, though. I'd go with the multi-handset cordless phone system regardless. Did that with my old apartment back in 2008/2009 and have done the same in my current apartment and at my office.

Robert
Date: May 16, 2020 08:28AM
Robert M
Lizabeth,

Sorry for the incorrect conclusion. When people say parent's house, it usually means old. Doesn't change my recommendation, though. I'd go with the multi-handset cordless phone system regardless. Did that with my old apartment back in 2008/2009 and have done the same in my current apartment and at my office.

Robert

No worries...they did have a wireless set up that is in the process of dying so got another set. BUT at some point it needs to be fixed when we decide to sell the house. So the replacing that particular wall plate is the next step for the SO whenever he is able to next get down to VA.
Date: May 16, 2020 08:34AM
Lizabeth,

If it's cheap, quick and easy, go ahead and fix. If not, I'd be inclined to ignore it. The use of old telephone cords is quickly becoming atypical as people switch to cell-phone only or cell phones in conjunction with multi-handset cordless phone systems. Looking from the POV as a buyer, if I bought a home, I wouldn't use existing telephone wiring at all.

Robert
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 16, 2020 08:17PM
Looking from the POV as a buyer, if I bought a home, I wouldn't use existing telephone wiring at all.

100% accurate. I just bought a house (32 year old) and I wish it didn't have any telephone wiring at all.

It does have coax everywhere (which makes MoCA a real possibility) and ethernet in a few places.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 16, 2020 08:41PM
Does the house have a "Network Interface"?

A couple of decades ago, back in the NYNEX days (New York New England eXchange, one of Ma Bell's alter egos) everybody was switched over to Network Interfaces. Once a subscriber had a NI, the service provider (local phone company or possible cable provider) could test their entire system UP TO the NI. If the problem was on their end, they could determine (and often fix) it quickly. If everything was ok up to the NI, then the problem HAD to be on the subscribers' side and said subscriber was responsible for troubleshooting and repair.

I had installed a second floor jack improperly with the female port facing up. It was for possible future use and, nothing was plugged into the improperly installed jack. Over the years, dust and lint filled the jack causing a whistling sound on ALL the phones in the house. Once I determined the problem, the simple fix was to clean out the crud and then put a piece of tape over the jack. Problem solved.

Your problem could have a simple solution. Find and check EACH phone jack in the house. Chance are, ONE jack will be the source of the problem. Fix that and you'll probably be back in business. NOTE: if ANY work/remodeling has been done recently, start there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 08:45PM by testcase.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 17, 2020 08:52PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 17, 2020 11:32PM
NewtonMP2100

Snort...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018