The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Would you like to help the Bees? New app
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 16, 2020 08:51AM
[beescount.org]
What?
Anyone, anywhere can upload a picture of bees and pollinators to the Global Pollinator Map using the World Bee Count App.

Why?
Because counting bees is the first step towards understanding the reasons for their alarming decline.

I have downloaded the app, but haven’t used it yet.
I often see pollinators on my flowers, so this will be another good thing to do while I am still at home.
I know many MRFers have gardens and are nature lovers, so maybe we can give them some good data points from many places around the country and maybe the world.

And, for you Georgia residents, who will get the joke, this is not an endorsement of GaTech. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 08:52AM by rgG.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Would you like to help the Bees? New app
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 16, 2020 09:15AM
We have bees but without a way to know the local population I don’t know about the relevancy of submitting random pictures occasionally. I mean, are there areas with literally “no” bees, and how often would an app user need to patrol their yard to be “sure” their numbers were healthy?

I apologize for my crankiness here.

We have a very healthy carpenter bee population. The holes are the further proof, and I swear they’ll take down at least one of the large sheds one day. I am not above buying and inserting steel wool into their homes. A few weeks ago I noticed huge rows of some kind of weed growing by the roadside, like small white flowerings very bushy. Thought I’d weed-wack them because the carpenter bees love them. Then I noticed all the bumble bees and a few honey bees also like them. Damn, gotta leave those weeds alone!

Bumble bees nest in the ground near the porch. The holes don’t look “great” but I figure, if they can survive the cats and dogs nearby I have no quarrel.

We have fewer honey bees unfortunately. My step father in law kept hives on the property for many years but last summer something attacked them and all were lost. Just got around last weekend to breaking down the hives for storage and while transporting to one of the barns noticed a random bee had discovered us and was checking out what was left.

There’s a bee community in one town over that would be a great resource (I went briefly to a meeting last fall) and we tried to get our son interested (he likes honey) but so far haven’t budged him. With only a year left living here probably, I don’t think we’ll push too hard on the investment of time + gear.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 16, 2020 10:16AM
Want to make bees happy? Plant a Ponderosa Lemon tree. Bees seem to love 'em. Last year, every single flower on ours had a bee sitting on it. No kidding.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 16, 2020 10:40AM
I'll download the app for sure, but...

I haven't seen barely ANY pollinators this season. It's sad and disturbing... NOLA routinely sprays for mosquitos, and I'm pretty sure that those chemicals will kill the pollinators too. Every time I see a bee, especially if it's a honeybee, I jump up and down a bit... I haven't seen any in a very long time, despite my porch having tons of yummy flowers for them to feed upon. I think the last I saw was a bumblebee a few months ago.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 16, 2020 04:05PM
We have two odd things that seem very attractive to honeybees (which we think someone keeps hives of in the neighborhood somewhere). The first is sedum - when it flowers in later summer, the blooms are just covered with honeybees.

The other we can’t explain - we have a small water feature in our garden with a little waterfall which grows moss. The honeybees come all day long and perch on or near the moss. We used to say they were bellying up to the bar, but we noticed that they fly in, stay awhile, and fly back out in the same direction, so now we’re thinking they may actually be carrying something back to the hive.

Last year, some feral frogs seemed to like the feature too and moved in - the bees and moss are upper left:

And closer up:

It’s not just water, since they don’t seem interested in areas of the same little waterfall without the moss. Maybe the moss is some sort of bee catnip.

dunno smiley
Date: May 16, 2020 06:08PM
I googled and apparent other people have seen that bees like moss. One person said they like to get their water off moss because they know they won’t fall into the water. Who knows.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 16, 2020 07:10PM
Good observation about the moss! I'll be on the lookout.

I am guilty of today ridding the yard (very temporarily of course) of a prime nectar: clover. The mower did the deed, with concordant bees scattered as a result.
Date: May 17, 2020 11:09AM
I got a pic of a bee feeding from one of my flowers today and uploaded it from the app.
WooHoo!

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 17, 2020 01:45PM
I'm sad to say I haven't seen a bee in the wild in... a few years, now.

Not that I consider them warm and cuddly, but in light of their endangerment, along with some vague awareness of 'killer' bees, I am on the lookout for them.

It's the same with butterflies.

While not into lepidoptery, I always enjoyed seeing them, and even the white moths.

I haven't seen either for many years, a decade maybe.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 182
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018