advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just set up a mesh wifi system
Posted by: mstudio
Date: May 16, 2020 09:10AM
I've pretty much been using Apple Airport equipment since their first little grey flying saucer. Have always been happy with coverage and ease of setup and use. Since we moved and I built a new studio that is not connected to the house, we've been having weak signals in the house since the main modem and router are in the studio. I would get 80-90Mbps in the studio but lucky to get 6Mbps in the house and less in my wife's office. I decided to abandon the Apple equipment and try a mesh system. I went with the TP-Link Deco system for both the cost and the good reviews.

Setup was a breeze using their App and since I didn't change the network name or password, everything in the house saw it immediately. Printers, Apple TV, iPads, iPhones, all Macs, I did not have to reset any of them. The studio now gets a solid 115-125Mbps and all areas of the house get a solid 80-90Mbps.

Been running for two days now without a hitch.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just set up a mesh wifi system
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 16, 2020 09:24AM
Groovy!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 16, 2020 09:39AM
So the studio is a different structure, some feet away from the house?

I recall the discussion here a few days ago but the consensus seemed to be that mesh wasn’t as good for “next-door” transmission?
Date: May 16, 2020 09:58AM
Yeah, saw that, but apparently not true. My studio is only about 20 feet from the house. I put the main next to modem in studio, second pod in dining room that faces studio, third pod in living room which is next to my wife's office. Strong signals as I mentioned.
Posted by: Mactel
Date: May 16, 2020 11:05AM
I've been thinking of replacing my AirPort Extreme with mesh as well but decided to wait until the Wifi 6 ones come down in price since more and more devices will be adopting this in the future. Figure I'll wait another year or so. That way the new system will be more future proof. If I had coverage problems like you were having, I would definitely do it now like you did though. I've heard nothing but good things about mesh.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 16, 2020 11:13AM
....with or without....silk stockings.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 16, 2020 11:14AM
Did you consider adding a $20 extender inside the house? Or even 2?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 16, 2020 11:35AM
jdc
Did you consider adding a $20 extender inside the house? Or even 2?

If you mean with my old system. Yes, I failed to mention that I had an extender in the house, too. I was not getting anything without it. I tried a third but it made very little difference.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 16, 2020 12:35PM
Cool.

I have a mesh system in my house, and the only issue is that my cable internet drops out during the day. Then the mesh bounces around.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 16, 2020 01:32PM
Yeah, saw that, but apparently not true. My studio is only about 20 feet from the house.

Yes, 20', not 100m or whatever the other distance was.

20' is not what I'd consider long range at all, but can still have it's difficulties.

What the mesh system has done is probably equivalent to mounting a router in each structure at the wall of one structure closest to the wall of the other.

Using extenders seems to decrease the signal to some degree.

I've tried three different extenders over the years, and none of them played well with Apple routers.

While best practice is to place the router at a central, high location, a mesh network makes that less critical and as I understand it, little or no loss in signal strength.

It mainly seems to be a matter of not locating a mesh satellite too far from the router or another mesh satellite.

WiFi 6 will probably never do much more me with so little throughput from Sonic.

Maybe one day I'll grab a deal on a mesh unit with a router and two satellites.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 16, 2020 02:19PM
Moving up in the world of wi-fi.
We have orbi mesh and get pretty high numbers 300/250 on iPhone XR. (500/500 Fios) internal orbi test 450/506
Date: May 16, 2020 02:33PM
Carm
Moving up in the world of wi-fi.
We have orbi mesh and get pretty high numbers 300/250 on iPhone XR. (500/500 Fios) internal orbi test 450/506

Nice. We have Spectrum's 100Mbps account, so I've been happy with the results.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 16, 2020 02:51PM
mstudio
Yeah, saw that, but apparently not true. My studio is only about 20 feet from the house. I put the main next to modem in studio, second pod in dining room that faces studio, third pod in living room which is next to my wife's office. Strong signals as I mentioned.

20 feet separation is almost nothing -- mesh will work just fine in that scenario, as you have learned. The discussions I recall were for separation distances of more like 100 feet.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 16, 2020 03:02PM
Mactel
I've been thinking of replacing my AirPort Extreme with mesh as well but decided to wait until the Wifi 6 ones come down in price since more and more devices will be adopting this in the future. Figure I'll wait another year or so. That way the new system will be more future proof. If I had coverage problems like you were having, I would definitely do it now like you did though. I've heard nothing but good things about mesh.

For Wi-Fi 6 (i.e. 802.11ax) in home installations, a mesh wireless network is preferred over a WLAN that uses a single centralized router. For a variety of technical reasons, throughput for a Wi-Fi 6 signal drops off very rapidly as distance from the signal source increases. A mesh WLAN includes multiple radios located throughout the home, increasing the likelihood of being close enough to one of them to benefit from the higher throughput offered by the new standard.

The same will be true for future wireless standards (IEEE is already hard at work on developing the Wi-Fi 7 standard). I think by the time Wi-Fi 7 rolls around, mesh systems will be the standard for consumer Wi-Fi installations.

It is what it is.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 03:05PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 16, 2020 03:50PM
mstudio
Setup was a breeze using their App and since I didn't change the network name or password, everything in the house saw it immediately. Printers, Apple TV, iPads, iPhones, all Macs, I did not have to reset any of them.

We had a lightning strike that took out a number of things, including our internet box. When the guy came out to replace it he also suggested we check the router before he left. Burned out. He had one in his truck that he installed for $100, including their taking care of it for 3 years. But, I spent hours resetting everything, despite using the same name and password. It's remarkable how many things we have running off the router. I presume I'll get a mesh the next time I need to upgrade; I'll look for something that just works...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 188
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018