advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
old school wired alarm smoke detector - is it a standard worth keeping?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 16, 2020 10:01AM
my house came with a wired alarm system than I'm just now making sense of. [konnected.io] looks like a great option for connecting it to my smart home setup. I'm trying to figure out what to do about the wired smoke alarms. They're definitely wired into the security system. I'm curious if its worth using or whether I should go with another smoke alarm system. The nest smoke alarms looks nice but they're pretty spendy so I'd likely explore other options.

Photo of the certainly needs to be replaced smoke detector in my kitchen -

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: old school wired alarm smoke detector - is it a standard worth keeping?
Posted by: Mactel
Date: May 16, 2020 11:02AM
I have a Nest thermostat and the Protect but if I had to make a new purchase, I would go the HomeKit route since I doubt google will ever add HomeKit support to these.

I found this HomeKit compatible smoke detector but still might be too pricey for your taste: OneLink
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 16, 2020 11:46AM
I've been using the 9v type for years. The beep when the batt is low and go off when I smoke the kitchen too much.
Very happy with them. First Alert I think.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 16, 2020 01:49PM
Depends on whether or not you want some that are hooked to your alarm or not?

We havent had an alarm system in forever years, so easier to make a decision not to replace the wired ones with something.

Swapped all of mine out 10+ years ago for standard ones. They still work the same as any wired detector... they just dont call the FD.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: May 16, 2020 02:34PM
Some codes require hard wired detectors.
If your house burns and it wasn't there, oh well..

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 16, 2020 03:10PM
Have you looked at the ADEMCO / Honeywell Wired smoke alarms, they should work with konnnected and act like any other 4/2 wired sensor. Depends on the model you get.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 03:15PM by Carm.
Date: May 16, 2020 03:32PM
After doing a bit more reading, I think I should probably try to snag nest protect units at a good price. Nothing else is close quality wise.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 16, 2020 06:49PM
.....what about those 2 white bowls.....in that archway nook......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 16, 2020 08:03PM
they are bluetooth.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Don C
Date: May 16, 2020 10:46PM
We installed First Alert networked alarms when we rewired the house a few years ago. If one goes off, they all go off with a flashing light on the one that detected the problem. Have not had to test that, I am glad to say.

They are battery operated, which is fine, except they tend to start low battery beeping in the middle of the night for some reason. Apparently you should be able to press a button to disable that warning beep for a few hours, but with 10' ceilings I cannot reach them, so I have to go out to the garage and get the large step ladder, haul it into the house and find the culprit.
Posted by: davester
Date: May 17, 2020 10:23AM
I bought Nest Protects. Costco sells 2-packs for a good price. One nice thing is that the wired and battery units can network together via bluetooth. Also, each unit is both a smoke alarm and CO detector.

One thing to be aware of with all smoke detectors is that they expire after 10 years of service and will start beeping to tell you when they've reached end of life..

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: May 17, 2020 12:02PM
davester
I bought Nest Protects. Costco sells 2-packs for a good price. One nice thing is that the wired and battery units can network together via bluetooth. Also, each unit is both a smoke alarm and CO detector.

One thing to be aware of with all smoke detectors is that they expire after 10 years of service and will start beeping to tell you when they've reached end of life..

I’m waiting for that sale to come around again

Posted by: jdc
Date: May 17, 2020 02:37PM
Don C
but with 10' ceilings I cannot reach them, so I have to go out to the garage and get the large step ladder, haul it into the house and find the culprit.

Same here... Just use the end of a broom =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: May 17, 2020 04:52PM
You might check local safety and building codes. In some places a wired alarm is required. At a very minimum, I wouldn’t remove the wiring and leave it in place in case they needed in the future for something. My two cents
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 18, 2020 10:48AM
Wired are required here...and they're a PITA...the ones with battery backup are several times as expensive as battery-only, and the one's I've used don't last anywhere near 10 years until failing.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and order Nest ones at their next sale.
Posted by: tenders
Date: May 18, 2020 01:36PM
davester

This is important. The existing old wired detectors may no longer be functioning, even if they beep when the button is pressed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018