Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Facebook’s Giphy acquisition might affect iMessage and Twitter
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 16, 2020 11:58AM
[www.theverge.com]

Facebook is buying Giphy, and that means how you send and receive GIFs on the internet could change forever. The service claims that more than 700 million people see Giphy content every day, and many of those views come from some of the internet’s most popular apps— from Apple’s iMessage to TikTok and Twitter — most of which rely on Giphy’s API and archives to let users share and post GIFs.

It’s likely that at least some of those services won’t want to have a Facebook-owned platform integrated with their products moving forward. Not only do these companies generally prefer not to rely on major competitors, but Facebook’s services have had issues with privacy (like the Cambridge Analytica scandal) and reliability (like when a small Facebook SDK bug took down many major mobile apps earlier this month).

It’s also important to note that there are no tracking pixels, cookies, or any other embedded user tracking mechanisms in Giphy’s GIFs or stickers, the company tells The Verge. And the Giphy API can see your search terms, but not any of your data, according to the Twitter account for the messaging service Telegram. Giphy confirmed to The Verge that Telegram’s tweet is accurate. But there’s always the chance Facebook could change the way Giphy works down the line. And apps and services that use Giphy now could drop support for the service at any moment, regardless of what Facebook decides to do with the service.

IMESSAGE
When you send a GIF in iMessage via the #images app that’s built into iOS, Apple sources some of those GIFs from Giphy. Apple has not responded to a request for comment. This integration seems likely to pose some tension moving forward, given Apple’s pro-privacy stance and Facebook’s tendency to absorb user data from its products.

TWITTER
When you search for GIFs from the compose box on Twitter, they’re sourced in part from Giphy. Twitter also relies on Tenor (formerly known as Riffsy) for GIFs, so perhaps Twitter’s native GIF search will soon rely on that instead of Giphy.

Twitter and Facebook have a long-running spat. After Instagram was acquired by Facebook in 2012, Twitter cut off Instagram’s access to an API feature that let users find their friends on a new service. Instagram later cut off Twitter’s ability to display its photos inside of tweets, which has held to this day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 12:06PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Facebook’s Giphy acquisition might affect iMessage and Twitter
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 16, 2020 12:47PM
It’s also important to note that there are no tracking pixels, cookies, or any other embedded user tracking mechanisms in Giphy’s GIFs or stickers, the company tells The Verge.

Not yet.

If Zuckie says they won't track me and 'your data is safe with us, we got this' then who am I to worry. What's the worst that could possibly happen.

When you send a GIF in iMessage via the #images app that’s built into iOS, Apple sources some of those GIFs from Giphy.

Whew!

Dodged a bullet there.

I like seeing GIFs on occasion but have never sent one and won't miss what I don't get.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 16, 2020 01:31PM
Giphy walking away like:

Posted by: hal
Date: May 16, 2020 02:47PM
I can only hope that this means that ALL gifs will show only on FB from now on.

I'm REALLY tired of people speaking in gifs.
Date: May 16, 2020 02:50PM
hal
I can only hope that this means that ALL gifs will show only on FB from now on.

I'm REALLY tired of people speaking in gifs.

Hal be like:

Posted by: hal
Date: May 17, 2020 04:21PM
oldmandshakingfistatthesky.gif
Date: May 18, 2020 06:16PM
hal
oldmandshakingfistatthesky.gif

hahaha.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 186
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018