Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 16, 2020 03:13PM
It isn't cheap...eye popping smiley

[www.wordperfect.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I did not realize that WordPerfect still existed
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 16, 2020 03:24PM
Yeah, still around, but the Mac version was discontinued long ago.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 16, 2020 03:34PM
There is a Word Perfect group dedicated to supporting the legacy Word Perfect for Mac, based on a modified SheepShaver appliance.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 16, 2020 04:02PM
S. Pupp
There is a Word Perfect group dedicated to supporting the legacy Word Perfect for Mac, based on a modified SheepShaver appliance.

I had a build a few years ago. Output to a PDF if I recall.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 16, 2020 04:05PM
is it worth it $400 though? between google docs and other free applications, such as LaTeX, I cannot imagine spending $400, unless it has some features that cannot be found anywhere else.

Heck, I even managed to be Microsoft Free on my home Macs. I still have some MS Office on the Windows work laptop, but that is an add on because I asked for it. Most of the company uses Google Docs.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 16, 2020 05:03PM
space-time
is it worth it $400 though? between google docs and other free applications, such as LaTeX, I cannot imagine spending $400, unless it has some features that cannot be found anywhere else.

Heck, I even managed to be Microsoft Free on my home Macs. I still have some MS Office on the Windows work laptop, but that is an add on because I asked for it. Most of the company uses Google Docs.

To be fair though, that $400 gets you a complete office suite that includes a spreadsheet program, presentation program, and a relational database.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 16, 2020 06:48PM
freeradical
To be fair though, that $400 gets you a complete office suite that includes a spreadsheet program, presentation program, and a relational database.

Like LibreOffice, except not free.
thumbsup smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: space-time
Date: May 16, 2020 08:09PM
freeradical
space-time

To be fair though, that $400 gets you a complete office suite that includes a spreadsheet program, presentation program, and a relational database.[/quote

I did not realize that, I did not scroll down. Then yeah, not as bad as I thought. still like MrNoBody points out, there are quite decent free alternative, multi-platform open source alternatives out there.
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: May 16, 2020 11:10PM
Well....the student version is only $100 but I'm running MS Office on my PC's-the cheap downloads off of Ebay, Like $5 or so, then fifteen minutes after you've downloaded and installed, the seller is no longer registered on Ebay, but the app seems to work fine-at least has for the last year or so.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 16, 2020 11:49PM
It mentions legal features. Its my guess that they have a very specific user base.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 17, 2020 01:05AM
mattkime
It mentions legal features. Its my guess that they have a very specific user base.

My understanding is that WordPerfect became a standard for doing legal paperwork with a number of law firms. There exists a large number of templates for legal forms and contracts, not all of which translate well into Word.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 17, 2020 08:26AM
JoeH
mattkime

My understanding is that WordPerfect became a standard for doing legal paperwork with a number of law firms. There exists a large number of templates for legal forms and contracts, not all of which translate well into Word.

True. The Word Perfect group I mentioned above consists largely of legal professionals. They have years’ worth of Mac WP documents that the current PC based WP cannot read.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 17, 2020 12:41PM
I recently looked at Corel software, and was very surprised at the prices.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 18, 2020 10:46AM
Back a few years ago when I was still teaching, there was nothing worse than the odd student that would bring in a WordPerfect version of their homework on a flash drive to print at school. If it was for my class, I always gave them an extra day to go home, copy and paste the work into an email to send to me that evening.

Occasionally the english teacher would send those students to me with their essays that needed to be printed. She was far less understanding. Fortunately I found sites like Zamzar.com to save the day.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 185
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018