advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Our IT department attitude towards Macs
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 16, 2020 04:09PM
it is probably the opposite what you expected when you clicked on this thread.

They said that Windows computers are a minority, under 10%. Most of the company is Linux and Mac about the same proportions, probably 40-50% each. They tolerate Windows computers.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Our IT department attitude towards Macs
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 16, 2020 04:16PM
My kids Dentist has just Macs in the front office. 3 of them
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 16, 2020 05:57PM
I just recently binge watched an Australian Navy show titled Sea Patrol. Filmed in part on real Australian coastal patrol boats. Anyway, fully run on OS X. And this was a decade ago.

I recall that a number of militaries as well as small and medium municipalities run either OS X flavors or Linux. Much lower admin costs, and far more secure.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 16, 2020 08:01PM
space-time
it is probably the opposite what you expected when you clicked on this thread.

They said that Windows computers are a minority, under 10%. Most of the company is Linux and Mac about the same proportions, probably 40-50% each. They tolerate Windows computers.

It depends entirely on the department and their attitude and skill set. Also depends on what kind of applications they need to support and the ability of the employees to support themselves.

Unless you are working for a large corporation they likely only have the resources to properly manage and maintain one platform well. Linux machines are the biggest PITA to manage from a fleet level as there isn't squat for device management options for them. If the user doesn't know how to manage the machine themselves it isn't going to be fun. Macs have the most robust device management infrastructure available, BUT it is costly for both the hardware(Macs themselves) and the software to manage them. The trade off is that you can automate and manage them much better. PCs are in the middle. Cheap hardware, relatively cheap management, have the most compatibility with apps and hardware, but the management options are not as robust.

Windows sys admins will disagree, but ask them to do a zero touch deployment of new hardware and see how that goes. IBM is the THE case study in how Macs are easier to manage and deploy: [www.jamf.com]

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 16, 2020 08:09PM
But Mac hardware has a realistic life expectancy of twice to four times that of PC hardware just based on quality of parts.

with well over a dozen various towers and laptops, only 2 defective/"recalled" motherboards, 2 failed power supplies in towers maxed out with drives and cards, and some spinning hard drives have had issues. I did reapply heat sink goo when a few machines were running hot after 6-9 years of use.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 08:51PM by Racer X.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 16, 2020 10:34PM
Racer X
But Mac hardware has a realistic life expectancy of twice to four times that of PC hardware just based on quality of parts.

with well over a dozen various towers and laptops, only 2 defective/"recalled" motherboards, 2 failed power supplies in towers maxed out with drives and cards, and some spinning hard drives have had issues. I did reapply heat sink goo when a few machines were running hot after 6-9 years of use.

They also have good resale value. Put them on a 4 or 5 year rotation and you can still get $300 to $400 back on a mid grade 13" laptop. A 4 or 5 year old PC you will be lucky to get $100 back IF you an even find someone to buy a large lot of them.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: May 19, 2020 06:08AM
Wish my IT dept had the same mentality s-t. I was just removed from the VPN list because I only have Macs and their new (read two year old) VPN server/software doesn't have a Mac client. We've also been waiting over a year for new computers that I personally had already set up so I know they exist - computers that also were two years old when I set them up! They, like a lot of departments I'm sure, purchase computers to use up their budget, and stock pile them in closets. Then other departments get charged full price years later for an outdated computer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018