advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you feed the birds through the summer?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 16, 2020 06:10PM
I have to decide whether to buy another big bag of sunflower seeds.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you feed the birds through the summer?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 16, 2020 06:16PM
If you do, remember that this means that you're committing yourself to feeding them next winter, because they'll get accustomed to a regular source of food, and might not go south for the winter.
Date: May 16, 2020 06:17PM
Winter is when I normally feed them; mostly cardinals and woodpeckers.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 16, 2020 06:19PM
....or do you feed.....on birds.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 16, 2020 06:29PM
Feeding does not interfere with migration, per the Audubon Society. Feeding in the summer is OK.

Chipmunks and squirrels bleed me dry of sunflower, so I feed thistle or a finch mix, which have feeder ports too small for the mammals. I also put out suet laced with hot pepper, to keep the mammal raiding down as well. The local starlings will clean that suet feeder pretty quick, so I ration the suet. Hummingbird feeder, of course.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 16, 2020 06:45PM
I put out suet every week or so.

Date: May 16, 2020 06:55PM
If you don't feed them, do they abandon you next year?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 16, 2020 07:03PM
Dennis S
If you don't feed them, do they abandon you next year?

If you leave enough of a gap, it can take a few days for them to find the food when you top off the feeder again.

Posted by: DinerDave
Date: May 16, 2020 07:47PM
This year we will. In the winter, 5 feeders and two types of suet.
Normally by now we have ran our supply dry and stopped. But this year my wife is home all day as she works in a school district, so no work. We both enjoy watching all the activity. We reduced down to one big feeder and one suet, and take the feeders down at dusk, or the bears will destroy them. I put them back out at 5 am on my way to work.
I swear the birds are hanging around the tree and hollering to me on the weekends, as the feeders don't go out until after 7 AM, LOL!

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 16, 2020 08:08PM
We do suet cakes year round in a hanging cage on our deck. I can see it/them from my recliner through our sliding glass doors. I snag the cakes when they go on sale at Ace Hardware.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: May 16, 2020 09:31PM
I throw out a handful of shelled sunflower seeds every morning just to get rid of the seed. I think the local squirrel eats most of it but I’ve seen cardinals and other birds partake. When it’s gone it’s gone but I expect there will be enough out there to eat.
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 16, 2020 10:08PM
Year-round.
Posted by: Don C
Date: May 16, 2020 10:35PM
I feed year round because I enjoy watching them.

I have tried several variations of wild bird mixtures from Feeder's Supply and find am awful lot goes to the ground. Have a bag of black sunflower seeds going now.

Getting mostly sparrows, but house finches and cardinals are more frequent with the current food. Also a few chickadees appear but not as many as I would expect. Had titmouse at my prior house not too far from here but have not seen them here. Mourning doves and squirrels monitor the droppings. Ruby Throated hummingbirds are coming to their feeders again. Thistle feeder has not been popular at all.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 16, 2020 11:30PM
We have a couple of Squirrel-buster feeders hanging from the lower branches of the tree outside our “sitting room”, and a nearby peanut feeder and a suet feeder. Some kind of food is available year round.

In roughly descending order, we get chickadees, nuthatches (the upside-down bird!), cardinals, blue jays, juncos, goldfinches, sparrows, cowbirds, and a variety of odd seasonals - this week we had an oriole and a indigo bunting. The peanut feeder tends to attract downy, hairy and (rarely) pileated woodpeckers in addition to sapsuckers. Finally, a single mallard hen has been hanging around lately, God knows why.

We’re not hard-core birders, but it’s fun to watch - if the birds don’t keep us entertained, there’s always the squirrels, which keep trying to steal food in acrobatic ways, mostly unsuccessfully.
Date: May 17, 2020 01:05AM
......never feed them after midnight......

Posted by: Randalls
Date: May 17, 2020 08:45AM
Year round, suet and cardinal sunflower “mix” which can include millet, cracked corn and milo. Costco brand of seed is cheapest and best quality but due to virus have several 50 lb bags of black sunflower from hardware store. I ration to one scoop a day for the front and one scoop for the back Feeder. Try to keep squirrels and raccoons at bay.

I cut back on suet as the grackles and black birds are greedy. I now put out 1 block a day in an “upside down” horizontal feeder so the more acrobatic birds have a shot.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 17, 2020 10:24AM
We feed year round. And with evergreen trees and bushes around, we usually have a few bird families going. All of this provides constant entertainment for our four cats, who sit on various benches and chairs placed in front of windows and watch those tasty birds do bird stuff.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: May 17, 2020 01:31PM
We feed also, but must take the feeders in at night or we end up feeding the bears. Makes a real mess.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 17, 2020 05:08PM
Naw, I lett'em do takeout like everyone else around here.
Date: May 18, 2020 09:32AM
.....plump them up....for Thanksgiving....????

Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 19, 2020 06:17AM
I feed on them all year round.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018