advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Seeking advice on how to get Time Machine to migrate info to external drive (not SSD) of new Mac Mini
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: May 16, 2020 09:12PM
All the pieces are going together to update an old, mid-2010 iMac to a 2020 Mac Mini.

The Dell monitor was not delivered yesterday but is supposed to get here on Tuesday. I'm using an older monitor to get things ready.

An external hard drive was used as a Time Machine backup for both the SSD in the iMac, as well as a massive 5TB internal hard drive that replaced the DVD writer.

Migration Assistant has worked pretty well migrating the contents of the SSD to the Mac Mini.

Now, I'm trying to migrate all of the data files from the Time Machine backup over to a new external 5TB drive I bought for the Mac Mini. Time Machine is not as seamless as I had imagined.

After finding the Time Machine Backup, Migration Assistant is showing an endless "Looking for other sources..." spinning cycle. I finally went to "Continue" to get out of that cycle. However, Migration Assistant wants to backup to the internal, SSD on the Mac Mini, not to the new external hard drive.

Any thoughts on how I can get the files off of the Time Machine backup to the new external hard drive?

Ultimately, I suppose I could use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the 5TB internal drive from the iMac over to the new drive. The iMac is being replaced because the video card tends to fail after being on for about 20-30 minutes. I'm concerned the iMac won't stay on long enough transfer all of the files.

One option is to pull the external drive out and put it in a case. I'll save that as a last resort. Once the iMac is apart, I'm not putting it back together.

Thanks, Todd's can-almost-see-light-at-the-end-of-the keyboard
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Seeking advice on how to get Time Machine to migrate info to external drive (not SSD) of new Mac Mini
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 16, 2020 09:20PM
Todd's keyboard
Migration Assistant wants to backup to the internal, SSD on the Mac Mini, not to the new external hard drive..."

That's what it does. It migrates data to your boot drive.

Todd's keyboard
Any thoughts on how I can get the files off of the Time Machine backup to the new external hard drive?

Ultimately, I suppose I could use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the 5TB internal drive from the iMac over to the new drive...

That's what I'd probably do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 09:20PM by Sarcany.
Re: Seeking advice on how to get Time Machine to migrate info to external drive (not SSD) of new Mac Mini
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 16, 2020 10:12PM
[support.apple.com]
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: May 17, 2020 10:41AM
Thanks.

It looks like the steps on the support page that anonymouse1 linked to is working.

Was hoping that the data transfer would be a relatively short, overnight process. Still not finished this morning. The Mac Mini seems to be working during the transfer, though.

While I should have done some more research, it would not have changed the decision to upgrade to a new computer. I was surprised (and a bit disappointed) to see that my 2011 version of Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 no longer work.

A couple of other programs need to be updated, as well. It may turn out that I will only use those applications on the 2011 MacBook Air.

Neither the Mac Mini nor the Dell monitor have a built-in camera. In this new age of online, video chats and meetings that seems like a step backward. I need to look in to finding an appropriate web cam.

Thanks again to Sarcany and anonymouse1. (Whoever you are. For now, I'm tabling the larger question of exactly how many anonymice there are in the world. I do, however, feel privileged to warrant the attention of the prime, unknown Mus musculus.)

Since I'm at it, thanks to all of you on the MacResource Forum. Your ongoing support has and continues to be immensely helpful.

Todd's ten-hours-in-and-still-"Preparing to copy" keyboard
Posted by: August West
Date: May 17, 2020 12:53PM
That old laptop might be your video conference go-to; video cams are through the roof from what I've seen. If you find a reasonable, decent option, please post it! Congrats on the new mini, I grabbed one last year and am happy with it. i7/8/256, will upgrade the ram myself and add external ssds for any drive needs.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018