advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ideas regarding AC for small room
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 16, 2020 10:08PM
My daughter has a small room, maybe 10x10, and it gets very hot. I was thinking of adding a small window AC unit but her window opens horizontally. Does that limit me to a floor standing unit? The room is so small I hate to put anything else on the floor. Ideas? We already addressed insulation.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ideas regarding AC for small room
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 16, 2020 10:11PM
how is the room of her boyfriend?
Posted by: mstudio
Date: May 16, 2020 10:14PM
Do a search for casement window AC. They exist and for that small a room I’m guessing 5000BTU would be a good size. Good luck.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 16, 2020 10:32PM
Any idea why that particular room is hotter than the rest of the house? I have the same issue with one of my rooms and no amount of messing with the vents is making it better. Could do a mini split on the wall. Mr. Cool makes some easy to install ones.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 16, 2020 11:16PM
mstudio
Do a search for casement window AC.

Yup, casement style is designed for horizontally opening window. The problem is, they are more expensive (2x - 3x) and not as many options.

Another option is to use a regular window unit and build a frame to support it and fill the space, that's what I did.

A portable AC would work fine also for a space of that size. They do better in an enclosed room. I originally tried to use one in a pretty open space (living room) and it wasn't efficient at all, which is why I ended up going with the regular window unit and framing a frame.

Mini-splits are WAY quieter than any of those options since the condenser is outside, but it might be hard to find a low BTU option so you'll probably be oversized (that's ok) and it'll cost the most.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: May 17, 2020 07:11AM
Gareth
mstudio
Do a search for casement window AC.

Yup, casement style is designed for horizontally opening window. The problem is, they are more expensive (2x - 3x) and not as many options.

Another option is to use a regular window unit and build a frame to support it and fill the space, that's what I did.

A portable AC would work fine also for a space of that size. They do better in an enclosed room. I originally tried to use one in a pretty open space (living room) and it wasn't efficient at all, which is why I ended up going with the regular window unit and framing a frame.

Mini-splits are WAY quieter than any of those options since the condenser is outside, but it might be hard to find a low BTU option so you'll probably be oversized (that's ok) and it'll cost the most.

Contractor grade mini-split systems from [www.alpinehomeair.com] aren't all that expensive. They even have kits for a complete self-install, although they are a bit more expensive. However, the smallest they have has about 9.000 BTU (.75 ton) for about $570.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: May 17, 2020 09:11AM
Mini-splits are great but involve quite a lot of work for installation. More than likely, a new electrical line would have to be run to the indoor unit, then there's the hole that needs to be made through the wall, then finding a place to hang the outdoor condenser with more electric to that. If the bedroom is on the second floor, it might be difficult to place that condenser. Certainly not insurmountable, but a job nonetheless. Frankly, I think Gareth has the easiest and least expensive solution, as long as a window unit can be found that is narrow enough to fit the window opening.
Anyway, good luck, hope you can keep your daughter comfortable!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 17, 2020 09:28AM
What are the kind I see with a small, outside condenser where the fan is oriented vertically, on the unit’s side? Is that also a mini split? One of the old schools here that predates central A/C has those all over. They look like suitcases on the ground almost.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 17, 2020 09:34AM
deckeda
They look like suitcases on the ground almost.

Probably a mini-split. That describes the condenser pretty well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 336
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018