advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MR Forum Confessions
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 17, 2020 03:39PM
Confession is good for your forum soul. Share and be relieved!

I cannot tell the difference between ketchup and fancy ketchup.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MR Forum Confessions
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 17, 2020 03:43PM
I do not like caviar or scotch, even the good stuff of either.
There you have it, and I am not ashamed of it either.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 17, 2020 03:51PM
I crave a Big Mac. Haven't had one in so many years I've lost track. The last one didn't taste like the ones I loved in late 60s. I long for those, though probably one bite would cure my cravings. But still.

There. I've said it. My soul is cleansed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 03:52PM by lost in space.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 17, 2020 04:11PM
I cannot stand the taste of alcohol. The odor is pleasant, but it tastes how I imagine gasoline to taste.
It doesn't matter if it's beer, wine, or liquor.
Friends have tried adding minute amounts surreptitiously to fruit juice and giving it to me - I can still taste it.

All my friends, past and present, and my in-laws have their favorites. My one great grandfather was known to drink his body weight in beer every week (hyperbole - but only barely). The best man at my wedding is a beer fanatic, and makes his own. My father-in-law and brother-in-law make their own wine. They want me to ingest their foul beverages. I just can't.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: May 17, 2020 04:31PM
I Love Noodles.
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: May 17, 2020 04:38PM
I love my Wife!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 17, 2020 05:12PM
Who let the dogs out? It was me.

Around 1971, our little town hired a dog catcher and built a dog pound. It was a big deal in the newspaper for months building up to the big opening. Finally it opened and there were pictures of the dog catcher with a dog headed to the pound, plus pictures of several dogs in cages. My friend and I went to check it out because there was nothing else to do. We felt sorry for the dogs and then noticed there were no locks on the doors. So there was only one thing to do: let the dogs out.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 17, 2020 05:19PM
My wife and I are both from the land of deep dish pizza, and we still love it.

But I confess, we also both regularly enjoy Totino's pizza-like frozen food.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: May 17, 2020 05:32PM
pRICE cUBE

It infuriates me no end when I ask straight men to describe, not critique, mind you, just describe, another male and they bristle visibly and say "I dunno... I don't look at guys!". Jeezly-crow ya big bunch of homochondriacs, just give me the basics: Tall or short? Thick or thin? Hair color? Facial hair? Glasses? I'm not asking you for a 2500 word write-up on the latest Versace collection, just a basic description of someone I know you have seen and would recognize if you saw them again.

For years my standard answer to that line has been "You don't look at guys, huh? So you can't even tell the difference between Colin Farrell and Danny DeVito, then, can you?" but now that Mr. Farrell will be playing The Penguin, one of Mr. DeVito's most celebrated past film roles, that's just going to blur the lines between the two and screw up a perfectly good analogy.

When I worked at the tire shop a coworker with whom I could joke around came into the garage and said "Scott, there's a guy at the desk who wants to talk to you". I said "Is he cute?" to which my coworker replied "I dunno. He's blond...". I went to the desk to be greeted by a tall, muscular, bearded, blond, biker god who was only a horned helmet, a cape, and an ax away from looking right at home standing on the prow of a Viking longboat. When I got back to the shop I said to my coworker "Dude... you told me he was blond. You didn't tell me he was Thor!".

pRICE cUBE

Is there even a difference between those two? I can tell the difference between Heinz and Hunts, though:

Heinz- Strong notes of vinegar with a hint of black pepper at the finish.

Hunts- Just plain old tomatoes with a little bit of salt and too much sugar.

S. Pupp
I cannot stand the taste of alcohol. The odor is pleasant, but it tastes how I imagine gasoline to taste.
It doesn't matter if it's beer, wine, or liquor.
Friends have tried adding minute amounts surreptitiously to fruit juice and giving it to me - I can still taste it.

All my friends, past and present, and my in-laws have their favorites. My one great grandfather was known to drink his body weight in beer every week (hyperbole - but only barely). The best man at my wedding is a beer fanatic, and makes his own. My father-in-law and brother-in-law make their own wine. They want me to ingest their foul beverages. I just can't.

I'm just the opposite: I genuinely like the taste of alcohol, but not the effects of it.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 17, 2020 05:45PM

It infuriates me no end when I ask straight men to describe, not critique, mind you, just describe, another male and they bristle visibly and say "I dunno... I don't look at guys!". Jeezly-crow ya big bunch of homochondriacs, just give me the basics: Tall or short? Thick or thin? Hair color? Facial hair? Glasses? I'm not asking you for a 2500 word write-up on the latest Versace collection, just a basic description of someone I know you have seen and would recognize if you saw them again.

Well, you don’t have that problem with women, straight or gay, we all check each other out. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 17, 2020 05:47PM
.....I ate the last yogurt.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 17, 2020 05:57PM
Thrift Store Scott
It infuriates me no end when I ask straight men to describe, not critique, mind you, just describe, another male and they bristle visibly and say "I dunno... I don't look at guys!"

I really don't look at guys that way. Or women.

Reading your post, I immediately recalled that I met a guy today at the supermarket. He was accompanying the receptionist from a company that I worked with a few years ago. I tried to describe him out loud. The best I could come up with to describe him off the top of my head was "medium height, kind of skinny."

Thinking about it for a few seconds, I could picture his face and hair and realized that he was probably in his seventies and in good shape for his age and I think he may have had a back-problem from the way that he was standing. These are things that I was certainly aware of when I greeted him, but I'd definitely need to pause and think about it for a few seconds if challenged later and I might get a little peeved if someone pushed me to remember something so trivial, more so if the person doing so was implicitly accusing me of homophobia.

Truly, it'd be similar if you asked me to describe the woman he was with, and she's someone I've met five or six times. First thing off the top of my head: "Kind of short. Blonde, maybe. Or light-brown hair."

It's not that I didn't notice. It's that after I noticed, I then put it away in the "things I don't care about" part of my brain. I'm never going to meet these people again.

Unless a person is exceptional or treats me exceptionally, why should I waste brain cells on retaining those memories?

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 17, 2020 06:12PM
I am addicted to Ocean Spray Cran-Grape Juice. I've drank this stuff over the years on and off, easily controlling my habit. I have laid off of it for years at a time.

Two months ago I decided to give up diet pops, which I had successfully cut down on, but wanted to eliminate drinking it entirely. I substituted with Cran-Grape and orange juice. I still occasionally have a glass of OJ, but the Cran-Grape turned into a real monkey on my back. I drink it with every meal, and I have to stop myself from having a 2nd glass.

I'm hooked bad, I tells ya!! There's no hope for me.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 17, 2020 06:14PM
I don’t like Bruce Springsteen’s music. I know that’s sacrilege in some quarters.
Not the “Boss” of me!
Date: May 17, 2020 06:37PM
Sarcany
Thrift Store Scott
It infuriates me no end when I ask straight men to describe, not critique, mind you, just describe, another male and they bristle visibly and say "I dunno... I don't look at guys!"

I really don't look at guys that way. Or women.

Reading your post, I immediately recalled that I met a guy today at the supermarket. He was accompanying the receptionist from a company that I worked with a few years ago. I tried to describe him out loud. The best I could come up with to describe him off the top of my head was "medium height, kind of skinny."

Thinking about it for a few seconds, I could picture his face and hair and realized that he was probably in his seventies and in good shape for his age and I think he may have had a back-problem from the way that he was standing. These are things that I was certainly aware of when I greeted him, but I'd definitely need to pause and think about it for a few seconds if challenged later and I might get a little peeved if someone pushed me to remember something so trivial, more so if the person doing so was implicitly accusing me of homophobia.

Truly, it'd be similar if you asked me to describe the woman he was with, and she's someone I've met five or six times. First thing off the top of my head: "Kind of short. Blonde, maybe. Or light-brown hair."

It's not that I didn't notice. It's that after I noticed, I then put it away in the "things I don't care about" part of my brain. I'm never going to meet these people again.

Unless a person is exceptional or treats me exceptionally, why should I waste brain cells on retaining those memories?

To be clear, in the situations I was talking about I'm not pressing anyone for anything, merely asking. An example that springs to mind is when a guy told me "I met someone who went to school with you the other day".
"Really? Who?".
"I don't remember his name".
"Well, what did he look like?".
"I dunno... I don't look at guys!"... as if he carefully kept his eyes averted during the entire conversation.

For the record, a response along the lines of "I dunno, we were kinda busy and I didn't pay that much attention" is perfectly acceptable to me and would have gone unchallenged.

Also for the record, I didn't implicitly accuse anyone of homophobia, the irrational fear of homosexuals, I explicitly accused the guys who do this of homochondria, the irrational fear that putting so much as one toe over the line of a very strict, clearly defined, and occasionally contradictory set of social protocols will cause them to suddenly snap and become homosexual themselves, i.e. they're morbidly afraid that one misstep might cause them to "Catch a bad case of gay".

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 06:39PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: DP
Date: May 17, 2020 06:46PM
DeusxMac
I don’t like Bruce Springsteen’s music. I know that’s sacrilege in some quarters.
Not the “Boss” of me!

I'm with you. Nor do I like Queen. Freddie's voice is, well, annoying to me.

I like the old hippy music from the 60s and early 70s. I have seen Jimi and Cream and Led Zeppelin and, and, and...

But my deep dark secret is that I think the Top 40 song September by Earth, Wind, and Fire is one of my all time faves.

There! Such a weight of my shoulders...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: May 17, 2020 06:54PM
I think Celine Dion sounds like someone killing a cat.

Many of the things I did as a kid would get a kid arrested now.

I think I still owe Columbia House for some 8-tracks.

P.S. I'll take all of rgG's Scotch and caviar.

Athens, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 06:55PM by archipirata.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 17, 2020 07:09PM
I subscribed to the Book of the Month Club for the free books - never intended to stick around or pay for the following 12 months. (wouldn't have paid the shipping either, if I could have found a way to have it billed)
Date: May 17, 2020 07:17PM
.....go commando,,,,,,,,,

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 17, 2020 07:30PM
I actually like maybe six rap songs.

There.

I've said it.

I feel dirty.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Drew
Date: May 17, 2020 08:11PM
I'm fat. And losing it is so much harder than finding it.

I'm old. But I still can't wrap my mind around my true age.

I'm not nearly as smart now as I used to be.

Those are stated somewhat in jest, but are certainly more true than I like to admit. Thanks for listening.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 17, 2020 09:55PM
I love caviar.
Given any decent options, I will never eat a steak of any kind again.

Champagne or hard cider, I’ll drink them all night.
Any other alcohol, hard pass.

Pumpkin pie, pecan pie, peach pie.
Nope, nope and nope.

As long as it’s cold and, yes, non-fat I’ll happily drink milk with any meal, regardless of the menu.

White chocolate over any other every time.

If it’s surrounded by bread, I’ll probably put mayo on it; hamburgers and hot dogs included.

Pineapple on pizza a couple of times a year, more, if offered.

I’m sure there’s more, but making this list has made me hungry.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 17, 2020 10:28PM
I dislike house pets. And house plants. We have neither but our children have both.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 17, 2020 10:37PM
I’m from Brooklyn and I call sauce gravy. My mother called sauce gravy. My father called sauce gravy. My grandmother called sauce gravy. Oh, and I call pasta macaroni ...

JoeM
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 17, 2020 10:51PM
Speedy
I dislike house pets. And house plants. We have neither but our children have both.

If you had kids it might seem you had both.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 17, 2020 11:52PM
I think making changes from the book for the movie is OK, as long as the movie is well done.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 17, 2020 11:55PM
pRICE cUBE

About $1.00.......
Date: May 18, 2020 02:23AM
I never thought Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, and Harvey Korman were funny. Same with Jonathan Winters. i have never heard a complete song by Bob Marley or Frank Zappa. I have never seen the Star Trek TV show. I hate when people "bless me" when I sneeze.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: May 18, 2020 05:58AM
I probably have a lot, but I can’t recall all of them:
I have never done a load of laundry or dishes in my life
I hate bacon, even vegetarian substitutes including the good ones
Fruit pies are not dessert - no thank you
I will eat butter, whipped cream, or sour cream with a spoon
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 18, 2020 06:01AM
who on Earth would drink a martini on purpose?

(I try one about every 10 years, I still hate them.)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 18, 2020 06:44AM
DP
But my deep dark secret is that I think the Top 40 song September by Earth, Wind, and Fire is one of my all time faves.

There! Such a weight of my shoulders...

Numerous articles have been written about the greatness of this song — you have nothing to be embarrassed about! Here are just a few:

[www.wsj.com]
[www.npr.org]
[www.thenational.ae]

It is what it is.
Date: May 18, 2020 06:46AM
Acer
I think making changes from the book for the movie is OK, as long as the movie is well done.

Jaws may be the ultimate example of this.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 18, 2020 07:12AM
archipirata
I think Celine Dion sounds like someone killing a cat.

ditto Alanis please no more of that.

my back is so painful every morning.
ageing blows monkey dangly bits

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 18, 2020 08:16AM
mrbigstuff

I’m there with you, but this brings a big smile to my face. The last Bro&Sis thing I did with my sister was spend the better part of a day dialing in a recipe for the “perfect” dirty martini.

Maybe a week of prep — research, equipment purchase (she already had a collection of martini glasses), consultation with contacts cultivated at the local Total Wine for ingredients — and then the Grand Experiment began.

I suspect sister may have, um, ‘erred on the side of caution’ ::cough::sandbagged.::cough::, as her mixological critiques contained more and more giggling and less and less ‘analysis’ as the day wore on.

Not that either of us gave a d*mn. big grin smiley

Fritz

Or my knee. Or my shoulder. Or... me.
Sometimes HUGE monkey dangly bits.

And then, occasionally, there can be an odd(?) tranquility to it.
To not being surprised by much anymore.
To not having to run a lot of races anymore that get you nowhere fast.

But still, yeah, preach. smiley12

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 08:19AM by Blankity Blank.
Date: May 18, 2020 08:42AM
Blankity Blank
mrbigstuff

I’m there with you, but this brings a big smile to my face. The last Bro&Sis thing I did with my sister was spend the better part of a day dialing in a recipe for the “perfect” dirty martini.

Maybe a week of prep — research, equipment purchase (she already had a collection of martini glasses), consultation with contacts cultivated at the local Total Wine for ingredients — and then the Grand Experiment began.

I suspect sister may have, um, ‘erred on the side of caution’ ::cough::sandbagged.::cough::, as her mixological critiques contained more and more giggling and less and less ‘analysis’ as the day wore on.

Not that either of us gave a d*mn. big grin smiley

Good gin of choice (I'm not a gin drinker, so let's say Bombay Sapphire as an example)
Dry Vermouth in an atomizer bottle
A jar of stuffed green olives
Ice
Cocktail shaker

Combine 2 oz. gin with two atomizer squirts of vermouth per drink in shaker glass, add ice, shake, strain into glasses. Add one teaspoon of olive brine (more if preferred) and garnish with olives on toothpicks.

Blankity Blank
Fritz

Or my knee. Or my shoulder. Or... me.
Sometimes HUGE monkey dangly bits.

And then, occasionally, there can be an odd(?) tranquility to it.
To not being surprised by much anymore.
To not having to run a lot of races anymore that get you nowhere fast.

But still, yeah, preach. smiley12

I couldn't make sense of the sentence "ageing blows monkey dangly bits" because my mind kept inserting a comma where there was none, leaving me pondering various simple statements followed by weird non-sequiturs. Thanks for clarifying Fritz's meaning.

Posted by: neophyte
Date: May 18, 2020 08:49AM
I enjoy listening to Yanni's music. Live at the Acropolis is my favorite.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 18, 2020 09:56AM
Blankity Blank
I love caviar.
...White chocolate over any other every time.

Be careful of the "white chocolate" bars in motel rooms.

wink smiley

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 18, 2020 11:43AM
I'm calling bs on some of the stuff I've read in this thread.
Date: May 18, 2020 12:49PM
neophyte

[forums.macresource.com]
Date: May 18, 2020 02:24PM
neophyte

Some limits are meant to never be breached.

It is what it is.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 18, 2020 03:54PM
freeradical
I'm calling bs on some of the stuff I've read in this thread.

Could you be more specific please.
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 19, 2020 05:44PM
I love Gregory Isaacs music more than Bob Marley’s. I dislike “Traditional Mexican” music. My nephew asked why I liked reggae? I said, I just do, he’s in second grade. My SIL joked that he loved it and he’s like NOOOOOO! (I overheard him tell his mother that he hated it) I almost asked, why do you like your “hill billy” country music. But that would offend his mother and been childish of me, so I said nothing. I tell my wife about her “hill billy” music all the time, she just laughs cause I like some of it. She tolerates my reggae and I tolerate her slow country music.
Date: May 19, 2020 06:23PM
....so....No Country.....For Old Men....???

Date: May 19, 2020 09:46PM
.....still have some savings bonds from way back that locked in 4% interest and still earning......will be redeemable in about 3 years......

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 20, 2020 12:25AM
BIG Earth, Wind, and Fire fan, and September is a favorite of mine, too.

No shame.

But something I've never said aloud or in print — I love, love, love A Little Less Conversation by Elvis, and several covers.

There.

I've said it.

Well, only in print.

And I waited until the thread dropped off the first page.

So I'm made a confession, yet my secret is safe.

Yay me!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: May 20, 2020 04:25AM
I have series EE bonds that are almost done accumulating interest... I’ll redeem them next year. I bought them for myself as a kid!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 197
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020