advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Well, this is irritating (and a little long)
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 17, 2020 04:25PM
Grandpa’s circa 2010 iMac was starting to have graphic-card-like problems. He said, could you just get me a new one for me? He’s well-settled financially, so I did (actually not new but fairly recent-model like-new - I’ll see if I can solve the probs with the old one and sell it for him on eBay).

When I got the new one, I wiped the drive and did a fresh install of El Cap (he was on something like snow leopard, and I didn’t see the need to make too big of a change to him). Transferred everything from old to new via Migration Assistant. Took a little futzing, but everything came over and it looks exactly like before. Except his “Bridge Baron 22” won’t launch, saying it’s been installed on too many computers (which would be exactly two, just as before - his old Mini at his lake place, and his iMac at home.) I went to Grandpa’s account at the developer’s website, and can’t see where I could deauthorize the old computer. Sent them an email explaining the situation.

Got the following response:

To be honest it makes sense to upgrade. Keep in mind if you are installing an old version on a new computer it may be fraught with problems due to many changes in the operating system that are out of our control. Microsoft/Apple make changes to the operating system all the time and the older version was developed before many changes made by Apple/Microsoft. Many of those changes happened after the version you have was developed. There is no way that we could have predicted what Microsoft and Apple would change in their operating systems.
Hopefully, this makes sense. Apple/Microsoft are always changing things which is very frustrating to us.

They helpfully included a link to the app store - it’s $65! This is for a very old-school-looking bridge program ; bridge hasn’t changed, and I can’t see where the program has either.

Mostly venting, I guess. The iPad app is $20, but I bet Grandpa will want to just pay the $65. I’m all for supporting developers, but it seems like a bit of a ripoff to me when I bet the old one would run fine under El Cap if they would allow a deauthorization/authorization.

sad smiley whine smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Well, this is irritating (and a little long)
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 17, 2020 04:50PM
I would ask again and tell them it is for an older person who dislikes any changes. Can’t hurt to ask

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: raz
Date: May 17, 2020 05:26PM
Or, get grandpa on BBO ( bridge base online). Thousands of people playing online. Much better than that old software. .

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 17, 2020 05:27PM
That's not a basic bridge program. It's pro-level.

The regular price is $65. Hard to say whether it's worth it. I've seen pro-level card-game software going for as little as $29 and as high as $300.

The other thing is that your grandpa had version 22 and the current version is 29. It's enough of a gap that I agree with the developer. It should be upgraded, not reinstalled and re licensed. I'd write to the developer again and politely request upgrade-pricing, but wouldn't get my hopes up. Upgrade pricing is usually only available for a couple of versions back and you're 7 versions behind.

If he's into the game enough, let him pay the $65. It seems that he can afford it. I've paid more for reissues of table-games.

Posted by: jdc
Date: May 17, 2020 06:28PM
Shouldnt you deauthorize the app on the computer that’s not being used anymore?

Not on the app website?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 17, 2020 07:26PM
As jdc mentioned, the app should most likely be deauthorized on the old computer, unless the Dev can deauthorize it rendering it unplayable on the old box.

In that case it, no harm no foul, Gramps is happy, Dev is not.

v.29 may well work and certainly have new bells and whistles Gramps doesn't want or need.

It seems we don't know if the Dev could have accommodated pdq, as he avoided the question and gave a response he preferred.

I think the response should have been

1) Here ya go, one more dance with v.22
2) It's been upgraded seven times, so no tech support for you.
3) If you want to avoid that, here's an upgrade price.

iOS has had the effective of we thinking software should be cheap and we skew the quality/price ratio. And get subscriptions. I don't know what this 'should' cost.

Sometimes the price is $65.

Prices like that make a grown man holler.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 18, 2020 08:47AM
jdc
Shouldnt you deauthorize the app on the computer that’s not being used anymore?

Not on the app website?

No, not on the website, or in his account settings there. And so I explained to the support address given on the website that I was emailing about my elderly FiL who has very much enjoyed BB, and is there a way to deauthorize/authorize?

And I got the reply above.

More than anything, it was just a bit of a shocker to see that simple games still cost $65 ten years after the “app” revolution. I don’t mean bridge is simple, only that the gameplay (ie bridge) hasn’t changed, and the graphics still resemble old-school Windows Solitaire. And they want $65 more just to keep playing what sounds and looks like much the same program.

Sorry - like I said, basically a rant on my part.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 18, 2020 09:25AM
Speaking of bridge games, anyone know of any for new/novice/learning players who want to practice?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: May 18, 2020 09:30AM
I’d google it. There seems to be a bunch out there, and some articles that review them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 244
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020