advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anybody know of a reliable source for N95 respirators?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 17, 2020 07:36PM
I haven't seen any, so I'm asking here.

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anybody know of a reliable source for N95 respirators?
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: May 17, 2020 08:00PM
Wyze has knock off ones.

YMMV
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 17, 2020 08:35PM
I got some of those KN95 from a vendor on Amazon. They make me feel better than those "surgical" masks. It is also harder to breath with those.

Anyway, what is the difference between N95 and KN95 (besides the obvious K)
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 17, 2020 09:11PM
space-time
I got some of those KN95 from a vendor on Amazon. They make me feel better than those "surgical" masks. It is also harder to breath with those.

Anyway, what is the difference between N95 and KN95 (besides the obvious K)

KN95 is Chinese Standard
[smartairfilters.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 17, 2020 10:22PM
.....K is for.....Kooties......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davester
Date: May 17, 2020 10:41PM
KN95 and N95 are essentially the same. Just be aware that if you are using the mask for COVID-19 purposes and go out in public, DO NOT use any masks that have an exhale valve. Those masks are high risk for those around you and are not compliant with most public health mask requirements.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: neophyte
Date: May 17, 2020 11:09PM
I got some N95 respirators from Canopus this week. Bought on-line Monday, received Friday, 4 day coast-to-coast shipping for $6 isn't bad.

They changed their webpage since I purchased mine. The original webpage said these are 4-ply masks. The new webpage shows the CDC/NIOSH test results.
Date: May 17, 2020 11:33PM
davester
KN95 and N95 are essentially the same. Just be aware that if you are using the mask for COVID-19 purposes and go out in public, DO NOT use any masks that have an exhale valve. Those masks are high risk for those around you and are not compliant with most public health mask requirements.
Thought about that, then it left my mind. My 6300 3M mask has exhale valve/port. Doooh
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 18, 2020 12:22AM
I printed my own.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 18, 2020 12:39AM
The front page of this seller says %10 off for new customers.

[slickdeals.net]

5-Pack SupplyAid KN95 Protective Standard Face Mask $17 + $6.50 S/H
$16.99
Snow Joe [snowjoe.com] has SUPPLYAID RRS-KN95-5PK KN95 Protective Face Mask CE/ECM Certified GB2626 Standard 5-Pack on sale for $16.99. Shipping is $6.48, free shipping on orders $75 or more.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 18, 2020 01:32AM
pRICE cUBE
The front page of this seller says %10 off for new customers.

[slickdeals.net]

5-Pack SupplyAid KN95 Protective Standard Face Mask $17 + $6.50 S/H
$16.99
Snow Joe [snowjoe.com] has SUPPLYAID RRS-KN95-5PK KN95 Protective Face Mask CE/ECM Certified GB2626 Standard 5-Pack on sale for $16.99. Shipping is $6.48, free shipping on orders $75 or more.

These are not verified by the CDC as passing the KN95 standard. Do not rely on them like you would an accepted medical or industrial product.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 18, 2020 02:34AM
Do you specifically need a N95 mask?

Would just a normal face mask be sufficient? Those seem to be everywhere, and easy to get.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: d4
Date: May 18, 2020 05:26AM
Until N95 and KN95 masks are more readily available to the general public, do not trust gov't officials and medical professionals regarding the need for one. "You do not need an N95 mask said the person wearing an N95 mask."

If you can find them and can afford them, get them. If not, good luck.

Date: May 18, 2020 10:21AM
From their product listing on Bez-azon.

"This product is not included on the FDA Emergency Use Authorization List, and the CDC has not confirmed its filtration efficiency. "

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 18, 2020 10:32AM
....to the N.....the degree......

Posted by: norse
Date: May 18, 2020 10:41AM
Why do you need N95 masks over regular surgical masks?
Date: May 18, 2020 12:13PM
norse

Immune compromised, and older citizens with multiple health issues (COPD, asthma, dialysis, etc. GeneL comes to mind) might desire the highest protection available if they need to venture out in public for things like scheduled doctors appointments.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 18, 2020 01:06PM
.....just.....breathe......

Date: May 18, 2020 01:50PM
Filliam H. Muffman
norse

Immune compromised, and older citizens with multiple health issues (COPD, asthma, dialysis, etc. GeneL comes to mind) might desire the highest protection available if they need to venture out in public for things like scheduled doctors appointments.

In that case N95 would be better. However, the mask must be "fitted" properly. Press along the edges to make sure the mask conforms to the face. In healthcare, we need to have the mask fitted which is an extended process with a hood and breathing tests.

[www.statnews.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 18, 2020 02:41PM
Why ask 'why'?

I don't understand.

We've gone from 'only the infected need masks' to 'Look at the fools wearing neckerchiefs like bandit, you need N95 compliant' to 'non-surgical is good enough to shop here'.

IF a mask is of any value, any mask in a storm maybe, but if I have my druthers, it want one that might actually do what the ushers in the theaters say they'll do.

Do N95s offer no more benefits to the uninfected than a tube scarf or pantyhose and tissue paper?

I have N95s that were bought long before this was on our radar, along with some fairly dense fabric versions that were basically for keep the morning mist from creeping down my lungs and giving me pneumonia.

For now, it's the N95s, until I know differently and better.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 18, 2020 03:55PM
My MIL falls in the category of compromised immune system. She tries to stay home (little to no shopping) and visits once a week my SIL, babysitting.
Date: May 18, 2020 06:02PM
RAMd®d
Why ask 'why'?

I don't understand.

We've gone from 'only the infected need masks' to 'Look at the fools wearing neckerchiefs like bandit, you need N95 compliant' to 'non-surgical is good enough to shop here'.

IF a mask is of any value, any mask in a storm maybe, but if I have my druthers, it want one that might actually do what the ushers in the theaters say they'll do.

Do N95s offer no more benefits to the uninfected than a tube scarf or pantyhose and tissue paper?

I have N95s that were bought long before this was on our radar, along with some fairly dense fabric versions that were basically for keep the morning mist from creeping down my lungs and giving me pneumonia.

A lot of people are misunderstanding the use of masks for normal wear outside in public. The masks whether surgical or cloth (non N95) are to prevent the WEARER from SPREADING his cough/sneeze spray from reaching/infecting others. They do not prevent the wearer from getting the micro-particles. The N95 masks, used by the frontline healthcare workers, protects the NURSE/DOCTOR from GETTING the cough/sneeze spray. The N95 protects the worker if it is worn correctly.

If more people wear a mask among other people, the less chance the virus will spread. The people who don't wear a surgical/cloth mask are putting other people at risk (being selfish).
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 18, 2020 10:02PM
norse
RAMd®d
Why ask 'why'?

I don't understand.

A lot of people are misunderstanding the use of masks for normal wear outside in public. The masks whether surgical or cloth (non N95) are to prevent the WEARER from SPREADING his cough/sneeze spray from reaching/infecting others. They do not prevent the wearer from getting the micro-particles. The N95 masks, used by the frontline healthcare workers, protects the NURSE/DOCTOR from GETTING the cough/sneeze spray. The N95 protects the worker if it is worn correctly.

If more people wear a mask among other people, the less chance the virus will spread. The people who don't wear a surgical/cloth mask are putting other people at risk (being selfish).

I don't think that was the intent of the message. If everyone had an N95, the transmission would be even less, correct? This is where things are totally out of whack for a world superpower: we can't seem to produce a basic item like a polypropylene mask and get them into the hands of all its citizens.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: May 18, 2020 11:04PM
If you can’t find N95 or KN95 masks, then you try a surgical mask plus this brace https://www.fixthemask.com
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 18, 2020 11:31PM
RAMd®d
Why ask 'why'?

As FWIW, I wasnt asking why, just asking if an alternative would work if you cant find N95s

And Norse is 100% correct on how they are designed to work.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 19, 2020 12:03AM

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: May 19, 2020 05:12PM
I don't think that was the intent of the message. If everyone had an N95, the transmission would be even less, correct? This is where things are totally out of whack for a world superpower: we can't seem to produce a basic item like a polypropylene mask and get them into the hands of all its citizens.[/quote]

Well, probably. However, it's harder to breathe wearing N95 masks. Again, for them to be effective, they must be worn correctly. You can't just sling one on like a surgical mask.

Also, you can't get everyone to wear a surgical or cloth mask let alone a N95 out in public like they do in China and Japan. Americans are arrogant and don't care about others. I just read an article that men are more likely NOT to wear a mask because it was uncool or not masculine. The thing is, twice the number of men die from CV-19 than women!

Yes, we are a super power but we allowed China to manufacture our medical supplies and equipment for us (cheaper). After we accused them of holding back/lying info, they threatened us to withhold the needed masks and ventilators.

When this clears up, the U.S. will have to manufacture our own medical supplies, equipment, pharmaceuticals, etc. and not allow a commie country to hold critical goods as ransom.
Date: May 19, 2020 05:14PM
Speedy

Great chart!

Wearing a mask does not keep all the spray/micro particles from leaving the mask. It'll reduce the distance the spray will travel. The spray leaving a mask may travel a couple feet out rather than 10+ feet or more out. That's why social distancing (6 feet+) is important.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 05:19PM by norse.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 236
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018