advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New computer for new teenager
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 18, 2020 09:31AM
She has been limping along on a REALLY old MBP and the wife and I thought it's about time she gets a new computer. With her 13th birthday fast approaching, this sounded like the perfect opportunity.Even though she is using an old MBP, I was thinking of getting her an Air. Mostly b/c its cheaper, but also b/c I think she'd like the slimness of it. Any thoughts?

She does mostly school work on it now. MS suite etc. But she also plays SIMS and Minecraft a LOT. And unfortunately, being the child of artists, she is an avid Procreate user on her ipad so I can see us introducing her to the Affinity suite of apps.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 18, 2020 09:51AM
Our home just invited a new 2020 13" MBA into our family.... We got the mid-range i5 processor and 16GB RAM with 512GB storage. It's a dream - other than the minor annoyance of USB-C only wired connectivity, it's been great. The keyboard is great, the display is beautiful. I say go for it!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New computer for new teenager
Date: May 18, 2020 09:56AM
That's what I was looking at too. I was wondering what the big difference was between the 2020 versions and the refurbed ones. I recall there was some quantum leap in something with the MacBook Airs, they're just not a model I pay much attention to...until now.

Date: May 18, 2020 10:01AM
bazookaman
That's what I was looking at too. I was wondering what the big difference was between the 2020 versions and the refurbed ones. I recall there was some quantum leap in something with the MacBook Airs, they're just not a model I pay much attention to...until now.

The biggest difference is the improved keyboard (scissor-switch/'Magic Keyboard' vs. the broadly panned butterfly style).

rj
AKA
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 18, 2020 10:37AM
I work every day on a 2015 MBA with the fore-mentioned keyboard. It does just fine.

If she is using Procreate a lot, it might make more sense to go with an iPad Pro, pencil and folio keyboard.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 18, 2020 10:40AM
....MBA is probably best bet......nowadays upgrade time is shorter/faster, so rather than spend a lot now for a high end machine.....spend now for a moderate machine because in a few years the machine will probably be obsolete and you will need to buy a new one......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 18, 2020 10:55AM
NewtonMP2100
....MBA is probably best bet......nowadays upgrade time is shorter/faster, so rather than spend a lot now for a high end machine.....spend now for a moderate machine because in a few years the machine will probably be obsolete and you will need to buy a new one......

sounds like a Windows point of view.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Ombligo
What you get now should last her until college (5 years), normally I'd say go back a year or two for a middle/high school kids but that introduces the keyboard screwup. So in that case, 2020 MBA with 256gb SSD. If memory becomes an issue, both the cloud and and external drive will be the solution.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Markintosh
If she is using Procreate a lot, it might make more sense to go with an iPad Pro, pencil and folio keyboard.

Yep. That's what she uses. She has one of the smaller Pros.

Date: May 18, 2020 11:08AM
....as mentioned a MBA will be fine for her college years.....then when she graduates, she may or may not need a better machine......

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 18, 2020 11:10AM
If it wasn't for Minecraft and Sims, the newest MBA would probably be the right choice. Due to the video games, I wonder if a middle of the road 2020 MBP wouldn't be a better choice. I think that a 16/256 is the lowest RAM/SSD combo I would consider.
Date: May 18, 2020 11:14AM
macphanatic
If it wasn't for Minecraft and Sims, the newest MBA would probably be the right choice. Due to the video games, I wonder if a middle of the road 2020 MBP wouldn't be a better choice. I think that a 16/256 is the lowest RAM/SSD combo I would consider.

I'm pretty sure her current macbook pro is around a decade old...and she plays both games on it. I would hope that a new Macbook Air would at least be up to the same task.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 18, 2020 11:21AM
I think it depends on how expensive a computer you are willing to let her have. Compare the performance and features of the top MBA with the top 13" MBP. They have identical dimensions and the MBP is only a few ounces heavier. The MBP is more expensive but it comes with 16 GB RAM, 4 USB-C ports and the CPU is up to 50% faster.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 18, 2020 11:24AM
I opted for the i5 MBA. I did up the RAM to 16 though. And it comes with the 512mb of storage.

And I was incorrect. Her current computer is a 13" 2012. It's a 9,2 model.

Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: May 18, 2020 11:27AM
I put an SSD in my daughter's early 2011 MBP and it was like a new machine... But then I got her a nice used 2013 unibody off swappa and sold the 2011.
Date: May 18, 2020 11:27AM
.....i.....i.......captain....

Date: May 18, 2020 11:35AM
Any reason she doesn't buy her own? I started working at 10, and by 13 I was earning in today's dollars about 335 a month, all while doing Boy Scouts, school and 2.5 hours a school day on the bus. And on weekdays, I started dinner, or cooked it completely after finishing work.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 11:36AM by Racer X.
Date: May 18, 2020 11:43AM
Racer X
Any reason she doesn't buy her own?

Because bazookaman and wife are going to buy one for her?

That's the very best reason of all, isn't it? smiley12

rj
AKA
Date: May 18, 2020 11:52AM
Racer X

B/c we are awesome.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 18, 2020 11:53AM
macphanatic

I don't know about SIMS, but my boy plays Minecraft on an old MBA about 6 hours/day.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: d4
Date: May 18, 2020 12:10PM
Where are you purchasing? Finding any deals?

Posted by: jdc
Date: May 18, 2020 12:34PM
Im prob gonna go the same this xmas for my teenage daughters.

B&H and adorama usually have deals -- $50-80 off -- but not BTO.

Ive seen the quad core i5, with 8/512 for $1220. Thats a sweet spot iMHO. I dont think the extra ram is worth it.

Currently my kids are both using 2012 13" MBPs, with 8 GB ram and SSDs -- they are more than fine -- but bulky with ports they will/have never used, and battery life is so-so.

I would most likely go with the config above over the base model -- mostly more for the quad core chip. The ram and drive space is meh.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 18, 2020 12:45PM
bazookaman
Racer X

B/c we are awesome.

My parents were awesome, and I owe my work ethic and financial habits to them................

Date: May 18, 2020 12:55PM
Racer X
bazookaman
Racer X

B/c we are awesome.

My parents were awesome, and I owe my work ethic and financial habits to them................

Did they teach you that every family works in its own unique way, and that it's good manners not to offer unsolicited advice to friends and acquaintances?

smiley12

rj
AKA
Date: May 18, 2020 12:58PM
....many had to buy 1st athletic supporter themselves.....others had parents buy for them......either way works.....

Date: May 18, 2020 01:08PM
rjmacs
Racer X
bazookaman
Racer X

B/c we are awesome.

Did they teach you that every family works in its own unique way, and that it's good manners not to offer unsolicited advice to friends and acquaintances?

smiley12

they taught me that if I see something wrong to try and fix it. smiley-music039

Posted by: jonny
Date: May 18, 2020 01:23PM
sunfalcon
I put an SSD in my daughter's early 2011 MBP and it was like a new machine... But then I got her a nice used 2013 unibody off swappa and sold the 2011.
agree smiley An SSD will be like night and day. Definitely good enough for middle school.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 01:23PM by jonny.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 18, 2020 01:59PM
Racer X
rjmacs
Racer X
bazookaman
Racer X

B/c we are awesome.

smiley12

they taught me that if I see something wrong to try and fix it. smiley-music039

perhaps they should have also thrown in a lesson on not being so judgemental.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: May 18, 2020 02:14PM
jonny
sunfalcon
agree smiley An SSD will be like night and day. Definitely good enough for middle school.

Way back when this was my mom's computer, I replaced the hard drive with an SSD as well as upped the RAM. So the hand-me-down was good to go before she even got it. It's just old now. It has...issues.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 18, 2020 02:18PM
bazookaman
I opted for the i5 MBA. I did up the RAM to 16 though. And it comes with the 512mb of storage.

Honestly, with a SSD and 8mb or more of Ram, the mid-2012 is plenty for her needs. I'd keep it until she is college-bound.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 18, 2020 03:01PM
This is exactly right.

Ombligo
bazookaman

Honestly, with a SSD and 8mb or more of Ram, the mid-2012 is plenty for her needs. I'd keep it until she is college-bound.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 18, 2020 03:33PM
anonymouse1
This is exactly right.
Ombligo

And yet its funny how persons needs arent the same as others.

One might say that a laptop *needs* all the ports and an optical drive the 2012 MBP offers. I think they are a waste of space and an add unneeded weight.

Different needs i guess. RollingEyesSmiley5

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 18, 2020 04:16PM
bazookaman,

I have 4 grandchildren we have given new MB Airs to because that is what they wanted. They have friends with older siblings that got them and are quite happy. Half of this group of MB air users are high schoolers, the others are in college. A mix of Google apps and MS apps are being used with little or no problems. Much is web-based.

Hope this helps.

bazookaman
She has been limping along on a REALLY old MBP and the wife and I thought it's about time she gets a new computer. With her 13th birthday fast approaching, this sounded like the perfect opportunity.Even though she is using an old MBP, I was thinking of getting her an Air. Mostly b/c its cheaper, but also b/c I think she'd like the slimness of it. Any thoughts?

She does mostly school work on it now. MS suite etc. But she also plays SIMS and Minecraft a LOT. And unfortunately, being the child of artists, she is an avid Procreate user on her ipad so I can see us introducing her to the Affinity suite of apps.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 04:16PM by modelamac.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 19, 2020 06:00AM
My 17y.o. is pining for a new MBP, she's getting into video production and editing (wants to be a Youtuber). Even though she'd like the touchbar 13" MBP, she realizes that we aren't made of money and that she wanted her accumulated money to go to an iPhone. So she's trying to sweet-talk me into me getting an new MBP and then she'd get my old one.

It may work. emoticon-animal-004

Even though my mid 2014 15" MBP is doing well for my needs, she knows that I'm a sucker for new toys. I've been lightly eyeing the 16" MBP.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: May 19, 2020 07:02AM
Sam3
My 17y.o. is pining for a new MBP, she's getting into video production and editing (wants to be a Youtuber). Even though she'd like the touchbar 13" MBP, she realizes that we aren't made of money and that she wanted her accumulated money to go to an iPhone. So she's trying to sweet-talk me into me getting an new MBP and then she'd get my old one.

It may work. emoticon-animal-004

Even though my mid 2014 15" MBP is doing well for my needs, she knows that I'm a sucker for new toys. I've been lightly eyeing the 16" MBP.

I'd like a new one for work. I think mine is a '16? It still works fine although now that I'm getting into Premiere, it's starting to choke. But I really don't want a desktop.

Also, I can tell you that I just about never use the touchbar. Ever. The only reason I use it is to access stuff I'd normally do some other way, like adjust the brightness or volume. Nothing that i couldn't do with a row of actual buttons. Not really enough for me to justify it. I just got it b/c at the time you could not get the top of the line machine without it.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 211
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018