Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
40 Years Ago Today: Mt. St. Helens buried Yakima in ash
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 18, 2020 03:37PM
[www.yakimaherald.com]

He also reached out to Dick Ostrander, director of what is now Yakima Valley Libraries, to see if he could find out if any other modern city had dealt with the ashfall of a volcanic eruption before. Ostrander checked with his connections with the Library of Congress and other institutions and gave his report to Zais at the end of the day.

“He said, ‘I have good news, and I have bad news,’” Zais recalled. “‘The bad news is there is no other example in the modern world where an urban area was infiltrated by ashfall.’

“I said ‘That’s not great. I don’t want to be reminded about Pompeii,” the Italian city that was entombed for centuries by ash from Mount Vesuvius in the year 79.

“‘The good news,’ Ostrander said, ‘Is when you figure it out, you’ll be the standard of care. So you better get it right.’”

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 03:42PM by ztirffritz.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 40 Years Ago Today: Mt. St. Helens buried Yakima in ash
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 18, 2020 04:02PM
That was before I moved to the northwest. Must have been horrific. Can't say I'm sorry I missed it.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 18, 2020 04:09PM
I rode a mtn bike across the Plains of Abraham on the flanks of the mountain. It's really strange. The initial estimates were that it would take 50-75 years for the area to recover, but most everyone was amazed that it happened MUCH quicker. It's still obvious that something happened there but in about 10 years it went from a barren moonscape to what looked like a clear-cut forrest.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 18, 2020 05:19PM
I was on an Amtrak train from Seattle to Chicago the day of the erruption that went through the ash cloud. One of the strangest things I've ever experienced. Flocks of birds were flying in circles....
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 18, 2020 05:53PM
I remember it well, I was Junior in HS.

Grateful11
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 18, 2020 06:58PM
Now picture 70,000 years ago... what is now Lake Toba in Indonesia. Then, it was a range of hills 19 miles wide, by 60 miles long.
It was the "Mount" Toba supervolcano. It blew 2,800 TIMES the debris into the atmosphere that Mt. St. Helens did. It took a range of high hills, and turned it into Lake Toba, 19 miles wide, and 60 miles long.
It blotted out the sun, worldwide, for months. Humans dwindled from a few tens of millions, down to under a few tens of thousands. It was the largest eruption on earth in the last 25 million years.
It created a genetic bottleneck that we can trace even today... Most of the genetic groups of humans outside of East Africa became extinct, or diminished so severely that in the next 10,000 years or so, their genetic line fizzled out.

I remember Mt. St. Helens. I remember here in Northern California getting 1/8" or so of ash on things.
I was impressed.

But, compared to Toba, it was a barely noticeable fart.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 18, 2020 10:19PM
Not unlike some of today's COVID misanthropes, an old throwback, oddly enough named Harry S Truman, refused to believe he was in danger and stayed behind that day.

Harry was never seen again.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 19, 2020 12:39AM
He was the only direct fatality, and it was his choice I suppose. We had plenty of advanced notice. They started moving people out weeks before.

A former GF's father was a geologist for the USGS in 1973 and they did a survey of the Cascade range to asses the risk of vulcanism. The team's report said essentially no risk. He strongly disagreed and filed a dissenting report, warning of St Helens blowing within a decade. 7 years later, kerbloeey.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: davester
Date: May 19, 2020 09:01AM
Racer X
He was the only direct fatality.

Nope. There were 57 people killed by the eruption and at least three were killed directly by the blast, Harry R. Truman, Dave Johnston (a USGS geologist), and Reid Blackburn (a National Geographic photojournalist).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: May 19, 2020 09:41PM
Pyroclastic flows are deadly.

=TC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 228
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018