Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amazon and bankrupt J.C. Penney are reportedly in talks over some type of deal
Posted by: DP
Date: May 19, 2020 06:54AM
Amazon getting even bigger?

Amazon and bankrupt J.C. Penney are reportedly in talks over some type of deal, according to Women's Wear Daily.

”There is an Amazon team in Plano as we speak,” said one source according to WWD referring to the Texas city where J.C. Penney headquarters. “There is a dialogue and I’m told it has a lot to do with Amazon eager to expand its apparel business" the article detailed.

[www.foxbusiness.com]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amazon and bankrupt J.C. Penney are reportedly in talks over some type of deal
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 19, 2020 07:58AM
One thing to note, Walmart still dwarfs Amazon.
Re: Amazon and bankrupt J.C. Penney are reportedly in talks over some type of deal
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 19, 2020 08:00AM
.....not good.....Amazon is getting way to big.....for its britches.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 19, 2020 08:04AM
And Walmart is not? Last I checked (and the data may be a couple years old) Walmart accounts for 15% of all retail dollars spent in the United States, Amazon 5%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 08:06AM by Carnos Jax.
Date: May 19, 2020 08:17AM
.....Walmart is but Amazon is doing it on another level.....Walmart has tried to expand to other areas but has not been that successful......Amazon has the capability to take over not just retail sales....but other avenues....they challenge Netflix, etc. for streaming......they bought Whole Foods, so b&m food stores.......

....they can now expand to b&m department stores......??

....they already drove b&m book stores to be extinct and then after they did it......they opened their own b&m book stores......I'm more scared of Amazon.....than Walmart.....

Posted by: pdq
Date: May 19, 2020 08:53AM
Yeah, Amazon sales are now over half those of Walmart, which is something, considering a lot of Walmart sales are groceries.

I won’t get into market cap; that’s just nutty.
Date: May 19, 2020 09:39AM
Newt, I believe all the types of stores and spending you’re talking about is considered retail. I’d be curious what the current total retail percentages are for Walmart and Amazon, doesn’t seem to be too easy to find. Though I’m pretty sure Walmart is still significantly bigger than Amazon. And until we start addressing Walmart as well, there’s not much point about worrying that Amazon is too big.

Walmart pretty much decimated a lot of small town retail stores. This was well before Amazon showed up on the scene. If anything Amazon is just the newest up and comer that might challenge Walmart. And as long as Walmart has a virtual local monopoly, I’d welcome someone else to challenge them in the local space. Though it can be argued that many midsize towns and bigger still have plenty of other choices like Target, Kroger, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 09:43AM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 19, 2020 09:45AM
They are both predatory.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 19, 2020 09:51AM
Walmart destroyed the US economy by being as Capitalist as they could. I can't fault them for it, but I don't like it.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: May 19, 2020 10:05AM
I’m not crazy about either of them, they have too much power. That may sound contradictory since my business is almost (but not quite) entirely dependent on Amazon. The better they do, the better I do. Still not crazy about it though. It seems we as consumers in general don’t seem to realize the value of smaller retailers and the benefits they can bring. In part we are responsible for what Walmart and Amazon has become
Date: May 19, 2020 10:09AM
....I think Amazon is more dominant that Walmart for most things.......their are loads of Amazon packages in my building every day......not so much for Walmart......people tend to buy from Amazon for convenience despite the fact that they don't always have the cheapest price......

Date: May 19, 2020 10:29AM
You’re only comparing Walmarts online division to Amazon. Of course Amazon is much bigger in that regard. But when you take the sum of the total, Walmart is much bigger. You’re not seeing all the Walmart plastic bags of goods being taken into those same residences.

In regards to people buying on Amazon for convenience, I agree. However that happens to a much greater extent at Walmart. Walmart is not always the cheapest, yet most people assume they will be or they prefer the convenience of just going to one store to get everything. Same as Amazon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 10:31AM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 19, 2020 02:40PM
And so it begins.
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 19, 2020 03:58PM
Here's a report that says that Amazon sales are 2.3% of total consumer spending and 6.8% of total consumer retail sales while Walmart sales are 2.7% of total consumer spending and 8.9% of total consumer retail sales.

A huge difference is Amazon having 49.4% of eCommerce sales while Walmart has 4.6% of eCommerce sales.

[www.pymnts.com]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 20, 2020 05:34PM
If we had a REAL President like Theodore Roosevelt, he'd break both of them up!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018