advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
form over function?!....if you haven't gotten your stimulus payment yet by direct deposit or by check....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 19, 2020 01:30PM
.....you may get it in another form......prepaid debit card now.......instead of a check.....

Coronavirus stimulus checks: IRS now sending prepaid debit cards as payout hits $240 billion

......With the majority of stimulus payments already sent to Americans through direct deposit or mailed checks, the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service will now distribute payments through prepaid debit cards to individuals without banking information on file.

“Prepaid debit cards are secure, easy to use, and allow us to deliver Americans their money quickly,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a statement. “Recipients can immediately activate and use the cards safely.”

Around 4 million people will get the prepaid debits cards, according to the Treasury, instead of a paper check. The recipients are those without bank information on file who are eligible for the payment and had their tax return processed by the Andover or Austin IRS Service Center.

The cards will be mailed by the Treasury’s bank agent, MetaBank, along with instructions on how to activate and use the card. The recipients can make purchases, withdraw cash from ATMs or transfer money to their bank account without additional fees.

Overall, the government has distributed more than140 million stimulus payment for over $240 billion to provide relief to millions of Americans, Mnuchin said. “The typical family of four received $3,400,” he said.

As part of the $2.2 trillion stimulus package, a total of $250 billion is being distributed to Americans’ wallets to help them financially ride out job loss, reduced work hours, and other money hardships they’re facing. About 175 million Americans are eligible for the payments, according to the White House........

getting a card.....instead......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 01:30PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: form over function?!....if you haven't gotten your stimulus payment yet by direct deposit or by check....
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 19, 2020 01:43PM
Nope, don’t expect anything. If anything comes smiley-music039
Re: form over function?!....if you haven't gotten your stimulus payment yet by direct deposit or by check....
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 19, 2020 01:46PM
I imagine they figure people are more likely to spend money that is on a debit card than money deposited in a bank account. The earlier stimulus money wasn’t getting spent in the amounts expected.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 19, 2020 02:45PM
There wasn't much to spend it on. Speaking for myself I was not in "consumer mode" while I waited for the uncertainty to abate and for the 401K to clear the psychological crater. We are beginning to move on seasonal home projects, finally.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 19, 2020 03:17PM
The card would have been more convenient for me, but the check is my account, so all is well.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 19, 2020 03:44PM
I got my bank info in a couple of weeks ago and it said I was eligible. But haven't seen anything so far. I figure I'll finally give up on it and then it will appear. Or not...
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 19, 2020 04:27PM
That will force people to use it or lose it. They can just zero the account after 30 days. That is what the stimulus is for. If people deposit the check then live on saltines and water for 4 months it won't help anyone.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 19, 2020 05:33PM
ztirffritz
That will force people to use it or lose it.

Seems to me this move will also make it MUCH easier for enterprising criminals to steal the cards from mailboxes and use them without fear of reprisal.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 19, 2020 06:31PM
Hoping for another round of stimulus...my dead-last-year relative appreciated the $1200.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 19, 2020 07:25PM
Said ours was mailed today. Not expecting the full amount. Wife mentioned putting it towards kids braces.

Not really sure how this was supposed to "stimulate" the economy. Guessing most people either didnt really need it, needed it but it didnt really help, or used it to just get by.

What were we suppsoed to spend it on? new cars? TVs?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 20, 2020 01:46AM
when it takes months to get it, not sure how it is supposed to help.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: May 20, 2020 02:43AM
Checked the mail today. It was in there. The checks were delayed because the Donald wanted them to have “President Donald J. Trump” printed on them. On a related noted, I’ve been stimulating the economy at local eateries/grocery stores/ home improvement stores.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 20, 2020 10:11AM
The checks were delayed because...

Is that a joke?

I've only really looked at the dollar amount, but don't recall ever seeing any name but some Unknown Guy.

This check was no different.

Checked the amount, banked, loaded to spend.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 20, 2020 11:27AM
You would think so....
[www.washingtonpost.com]

[fortune.com]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 20, 2020 06:06PM
I used mine to pay off a credit card!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 217
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018