Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RIP J+J baby powder
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 19, 2020 04:46PM
Farewell old friend...

Johnson & Johnson said Tuesday that it is discontinuing its talc-based baby powder in the United States and Canada as demand fell in light of mounting lawsuits that said it caused cancer.

I personally think this is a (mistaken) case of guilt by association - ovarian cancer is, unfortunately, all too common, and basically everyone (of my generation, at least) has used, handled or had baby powder applied to their butt when young.

Who knows? Maybe it’s for the better.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RIP J+J baby powder
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 19, 2020 04:55PM
I still use their baby powder....

but it's the cornstarch stuff that just smells like talc.
==
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 19, 2020 05:36PM
From a business standpoint the product is now tainted, whether in error or not. If you can't make money on it any more, then discontinue it.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 19, 2020 07:40PM
pdq
Farewell old friend...

Johnson & Johnson said Tuesday that it is discontinuing its talc-based baby powder in the United States and Canada as demand fell in light of mounting lawsuits that said it caused cancer.

I personally think this is a (mistaken) case of guilt by association - ovarian cancer is, unfortunately, all too common, and basically everyone (of my generation, at least) has used, handled or had baby powder applied to their butt when young.

It's not about baby powder used on babies... Whose parents have the option of using any of hundreds of similar products priced just as cheaply as talc and typically based on corn-starch. Don't get me wrong: The irritants from talc based powders are very bad for infants and can mess up their lungs, but a dab now and again to sooth diaper rash was probably not especially harmful and the bottles did have a warning on them to avoid inhalation.

It's about multiple generations of women who were instructed to apply talc powders all over their bodies every day to retard sweat and bad odors. It was applied to crotches and underarms and feet and it was the base for millions of makeup products. All the while, manufacturers never bothered to evaluate the risks from the micro-particles, and while they promised decades ago that they would self-police it seems that they they weren't careful to remove the asbestos from it and instead engaged in lobbying and disinformation campaigns.

This is an exemplary case of reckless disregard for human health in the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 19, 2020 08:25PM
.....how to get into latex outfits now........??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 19, 2020 08:53PM
Where can "Classic" baby - cornstarch free - powder be found now?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 19, 2020 08:58PM
freeradical
Where can "Classic" baby - cornstarch free - powder be found now?

Found some for my mom on the shelf at CVS.

Posted by: BernDog
Date: May 20, 2020 08:39AM
Lew Zealand
From a business standpoint the product is now tainted, whether in error or not. If you can't make money on it any more, then discontinue it.

tainted
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 20, 2020 09:30AM
....hehe......you said taint......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 263
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018