advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Spent a chunk of my stimulus check last night
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 19, 2020 06:26PM
My nice NEC monitor is showing signs of illness (uneven sllghtly darker areas that are most noticeable when the background is very light, and which seem to be slowly growing). So I bought pretty much the same thing, wide gamut, 16:10, 24" — but an Eizo. I have loved my NEC, but I read some B&H reviews of the current NEC model that gave me pause: one guy who had bought several had had three of them fail within a year.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Spent a chunk of my stimulus check last night
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 19, 2020 07:17PM
Assuming you are doing color critical photo retouching?

Do you use a hood?

What kind of calibrator are you using? x-rite? datacolor?

Eizo have a 4K screen? After using a 5K screen, next to a standard screen (a good 27" Dell ultrasharp, not a cheap POS) -- theres no comparision how much more detail you can see in the 5K screen. Dunno if I could go back to a non 5K (or 4K?) screen.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 19, 2020 08:02PM
The 4K and 5K screens would be nice, but they are just too expensive for me. I use an x-rite i1. Space is also a consideration, and 24" works pretty well for the available space. I really want the 16:10 screen, and there are not many choices if you want wide gamut and 16:10.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 19, 2020 08:56PM
If mine ever shows up, I have my eyes on 2 10mm pistols and it should just cover them.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 20, 2020 03:44AM
Racer X
If mine ever shows up, I have my eyes on 2 10mm pistols and it should just cover them.

Ours showed up as pending overnight. I had weeks of trouble getting our bank info to the IRS then was able to do it about 2 weeks ago.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 20, 2020 03:52AM
Now, mind you, my partner's father passed away Nov 2013, but because of some natural gas wells in Missouri he had a tax return against his estate in 2018, and a check showed up here for him. Mind you, he never lived here, and all estate stuff goes to his eldest son's home.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 20, 2020 03:56AM
Sorry for all the Q's -- still considering a move from an iMac to a mini, but a new monitor will be a huge part of the equation.

Dont think I can pass up 5K/4K vs not.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: May 20, 2020 04:30AM
We plan to have a local business install a garden waterfall as a memorial-we’ve wanted to do this for years.

A friend sent us a gift certificate to their local spice store (for working on the COVID front lines - really thoughtful of them as we are usually not "seen")), which we happily made quick use of. A nice treat for us, and a good little boost for their store. Win win!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 20, 2020 11:35AM
....not on....Chucky....Monkey.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 21, 2020 10:35AM
jdc
Sorry for all the Q's -- still considering a move from an iMac to a mini, but a new monitor will be a huge part of the equation.

Dont think I can pass up 5K/4K vs not.

I really strongly prefer to have the monitor separate from the computer. If you have more than one computer, you can setup a KVM. I have four computers using one monitor.

And yes, I have a computer habit (hangs head in shame). I now have a 2009 iMac to dispose of somehow because it will not power on. Not a flicker of life. eRecycling is on pause here, like everything else, and I really need to get rid of some stuff responsibly. I have no desire to try to open up the iMac to get the drive out of it, and I’m not optimistic about getting a repair place to do it for me. So I will have to find a place to stash it so that the old NEC can be used for non-critical Interwebby stuff by the Other Human, while the new Eizo serves my needs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018