advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
SpaceX manned launch schedule
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 19, 2020 08:41PM
SpaceX now has a launch time for it's crewed capsule. Barring further delays, that launch will take place on May 27 at 4:33 p.m. EDT.

This will be the first manned space launch since 2011.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: SpaceX manned launch schedule
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 19, 2020 08:53PM
The first manned US space launch since 2011

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 19, 2020 09:52PM
Fingers and toes crossed.

My wife and I flew in to see the last landing of the shuttle program. Was a funeral.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 09:53PM by sekker.
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 19, 2020 10:20PM
Racer X

There were actually 5 new astronauts on flights from US soil since 2011, two in 2018 and three in 2019.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 19, 2020 11:03PM
Fingers and toes crossed.

I 'hear' ya.

SpaceX has been doing very well, great even.

I'm a little apprehensive and want them to do even better with manned flights.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: jonny
Date: May 19, 2020 11:50PM
Well, with NASA’s human spaceflight chief resigning today, not looking like a very auspicious beginning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 11:51PM by jonny.
Date: May 20, 2020 01:13AM
GGD
Racer X

There were actually 5 new astronauts on flights from US soil since 2011, two in 2018 and three in 2019.

[en.wikipedia.org]

those don't really count in my book. A sealed/pressurized balloon capsule will get you there too. Building a craft to qualify for a prize isn't the same as lifting a team to the ISS. Just my opinion.

I've worked for a supplier to the Shuttle, and held the first Tsnimash/TAL Hall Current thruster seen outside the iron curtain FWIW. I was the first person to photograph one firing inside a vacuum chamber too. Space hardware isn't even that exciting to me any more.

Now, a bigass rocket firing on a test bed, that's something different.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 01:14AM by Racer X.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 20, 2020 01:41AM
First manned launch of Starship/SuperHeavy, see you in Brownsville for a beer?
I want to see THAT fly!

Racer X
GGD
Racer X

[en.wikipedia.org]

those don't really count in my book. A sealed/pressurized balloon capsule will get you there too. Building a craft to qualify for a prize isn't the same as lifting a team to the ISS. Just my opinion.

I've worked for a supplier to the Shuttle, and held the first Tsnimash/TAL Hall Current thruster seen outside the iron curtain FWIW. I was the first person to photograph one firing inside a vacuum chamber too. Space hardware isn't even that exciting to me any more.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 20, 2020 02:05AM
Racer X
GGD
Racer X

[en.wikipedia.org]

Those 5 were on test flights of SpaceShip Two, the Virgin Galactic spacecraft built for space tourism suborbital flights, not the X-Prize SpaceShip One, which flew in 2004.

SpaceX focused on different goals and built a much more capable spacecraft and business. But like Alan Shepard, Gus Grissom, and a few X-15 pilots, who flew on hardware that wasn't capable of reaching orbit, these 5 (and the two SpaceShip One pilots) did reach space and became astronauts as far as the FAA is concerned.
Date: May 20, 2020 02:16AM
I got the two blurred, thanks. But suborbital tourism isn't the same as trained astronauts and space travel. Suborbital tourism could be a balloon capsule.

Date: May 20, 2020 10:13AM
Racer X
I got the two blurred, thanks. But suborbital tourism isn't the same as trained astronauts and space travel. Suborbital tourism could be a balloon capsule.

Still takes great big brass ones to jump OUT of that balloon capsule with a parachute.
I do agree that suborbital flights lack a certain something compared to orbital flights.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 20, 2020 10:18AM
Paul F.
Racer X

Still takes great big brass ones to jump OUT of that balloon capsule with a parachute.
I do agree that suborbital flights lack a certain something compared to orbital flights.

Felix broke the sound barrier on the way down. I'd guess they're made out of titanium.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: May 20, 2020 10:55AM
ztirffritz
Paul F.
Racer X

Felix broke the sound barrier on the way down. I'd guess they're made out of titanium.

With an ablative ceramic coating...
The previous record holder, Joe Kittinger, who did a similar jump in the 60's, was an advisor for Felix... and from what I've read, his advisory role was mostly telling Felix about all the ways things could go wrong and kill him. It almost killed Kittinger in a couple different ways.
He, too, had big Titanium ones...

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 20, 2020 11:47AM
If I remember correctly, Kittinger had some type of pressing issue that forced him to jump while he wasn't completely prepared. I forget what the issue was now. Didn't he pass out on the way down too?

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: May 21, 2020 12:07AM
ztirffritz
If I remember correctly, Kittinger had some type of pressing issue that forced him to jump while he wasn't completely prepared. I forget what the issue was now. Didn't he pass out on the way down too?

I don't recall him having to jump early, but he did have a leak in his glove that swelled his hand up pretty good, and he also got into a spin on the way down in freefall that nearly killed him before he got it under control. Lots of different ways to die skydiving from 24 miles up...

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 235
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018