advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Switch, ethernet?
Posted by: clyde
Date: May 19, 2020 11:10PM
Searched for ethernet switch, found huge switches suitable for networks & ISP's.

Is there a switch that will connect ethernet to either, not both, of two computers?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Switch, ethernet?
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 19, 2020 11:16PM
There are lots of inexpensive consumer Ethernet switches in with different speeds and number of ports.

Here's a 5 port 10/100 switch for $10
[www.amazon.com]

Here's a 5 port Gigabit switch for $17
[www.amazon.com]

What are you trying to do?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 19, 2020 11:24PM
clyde
Searched for ethernet switch, found huge switches suitable for networks & ISP's.

Is there a switch that will connect ethernet to either, not both, of two computers?

Not clear what the goal is. What do you want to accomplish?

One generally puts a switch inline after a router in order to connect multiple computers to the router's network at the same time, not just one computer.

If you're connecting one computer, you should be able to connect it directly to the router. No need for the switch.

Posted by: jdc
Date: May 20, 2020 12:04AM
If you are just trying to connect two macs, a single cable between both would work...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 20, 2020 12:09AM
Goal: two computers, one online at a time without moving cables. Set the switch to A or B, not both at once
Date: May 20, 2020 12:14AM
GGDs simple 5 port switch is what you need. No A/B switching.

Cable from the wall to the switch, cables to the macs.

Or a simple wireless router... no wires needed.

----

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 20, 2020 12:44AM
clyde
Goal: two computers, one online at a time without moving cables. Set the switch to A or B, not both at once

Why? I think this is what you want: [www.amazon.com] I still don't understand why you would want this senario.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 20, 2020 04:32AM
C(-)ris
Why? I think this is what you want: [www.amazon.com]
I still don't understand why you would want this senario.
I agree. Never seen mechanical switching on a simple ethernet setup.

amazon.com
$18.45 & FREE Shipping
smiley-shocked003
I've paid less than that for a 8-port gigabyte switch!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: PeterW
Date: May 20, 2020 05:58AM
Geez, go to the Network pane on computer A, turn off Ethernet, go to the Network pane on computer B, turn on Ethernet. Lather, rinse, repeat. You don’t need a switch for that.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 20, 2020 07:47AM
I bought this several years ago before I realized it was a waste.
It worked fine, but as others have said ...

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 20, 2020 08:40AM
I'm in the "Why?" category too.

Date: May 20, 2020 09:38AM
bazookaman

Asked a stupid question because I didn't know
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 20, 2020 10:04AM
clyde
bazookaman

Correcting the state of "didn't know" is our specialty!
An 8 port switch and you're rockin' and rollin' with both computers at the same time. :-)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: May 20, 2020 11:01AM
clyde

That’s what I figured. No shame in that.

An Ethernet switch works like a power strip, If that helps.

----

Date: May 20, 2020 11:30AM
jdc
clyde

That’s what I figured. No shame in that.

An Ethernet switch works like a power strip, If that helps.

It still would probably help to understand the setup a bit more, we're all assuming that there's a router in the house somewhere before these Ethernet cables. If there's no router, that's what's probably needed instead of a switch, and could possibly provide multiple Ethernet ports (and WiFI if desired) eliminating the need for a switch.

How do you get internet service? Cable / DSL / FIOS, etc? is there a router (maybe with WIFI too) integrated into the modem? Is there a separate router/WiFI after the modem? Do you have other devices in the house also using the internet connection (wired or wireless, like an iPhone)?

What's on the other end of the Ethernet cable that's plugging into the computer?
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 20, 2020 11:47AM
On/off switch.. Maybe for security/no updates to muck up stuff? A friend only wanted her desktop connected for updates every few months. Used it as an accounts computer. Used a laptop for everything else. Felt it more secure not being connected to the net. Showed her how to disable the Ethernet card when we upgraded her computer.
Date: May 20, 2020 01:09PM
GGD asked:

"What's on the other end of the Ethernet cable that's plugging into the computer?"

Internet connection enters house via cable to a modem. Modem connects to computer via ethernet cable.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 20, 2020 01:28PM
If you'd like more detailed advice, it might be good to post model numbers (or pics) of your networking equipment. we should be able to get both of those machines online.

Date: May 20, 2020 01:37PM
clyde
GGD asked:

"What's on the other end of the Ethernet cable that's plugging into the computer?"

Internet connection enters house via cable to a modem. Modem connects to computer via ethernet cable.

In that case you might not have a router. Are these two computers/Ethernet connections the only devices that you ever connect?

Have you been needing to re-boot the cable modem when you switch the Ethernet cable between the two computers.

Do you know any details about the cable modem? Make/model?

If there's no router now, your best bet would be to get a WiFi router with 4 Ethernet ports, plug each computer into the router via Ethernet or connect them via WiFi, and you'll be able to use both computers at the same time. You'll also be able to network between them for file sharing.

And if you have family visiting with smart phones and they ask about WiFi, you'll have that available too.

You will then have a more typical setup that's pretty much assumed for most homes these days, where you can connect multiple devices to your local in-house network and they can all share access to the internet connection simultaneously.
Date: May 20, 2020 02:11PM
Yes, the two computers are the only devices I connect.

Re-booting not necessary.

Modem is Arris Touchstone SB6182

Also use internet phone service. Phone firm recommended using router, which I tried. Could not get it to work correctly; worked better with modem only. The router, which I have since pitched, had several female ethernet conectors.
Date: May 20, 2020 02:39PM
The 6182 is a simple stand-alone cable modem, I have a similar model, the 6183.

I'm not sure why things are working well without re-booting, usually the cable company configures everything based on the MAC address of the device connected to the modem, and if that MAC address changes (by connecting a different computer), it needs to be re-booted to re-configure. With a router, the connected MAC address will be that of the router's WAN port, and the cable modem won't directly see any of the local computers in the house.

How is the phone device hooked up? Some original Ooma's that I have were designed to be directly connected to the modem, and they then acted as a router and had an Ethernet jack for the rest of the house. If this is what you're doing, and the computer is plugging into the phone device, that would also explain why the modem doesn't get confused when the computers change.
Date: May 20, 2020 03:46PM
clyde - I can't speak to why you had trouble before but you should get a router.

Date: May 20, 2020 04:24PM
Ooma provided two block diagrams of connections.

Its preferred connection put the Ooma unit between a router and the modem. According to Ooma, that method provides the best voice quality.

The other connection puts the Ooma unit between the modem and the computer.

As using a router didn't work before I'm skeptical, but I defer to folks who know computers/routers/modems, etc. The router I had was a used unit.

What reliable router would you recommend?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 04:25PM by clyde.
Date: May 21, 2020 02:03AM
The main reason why Ooma recommends putting their device between the modem and router is so that they can have priority for all of the bandwidth. Since you only have two computers and use one at a time and presumably they're idle and not using a lot of internet bandwidth while you're talking on the phone, there really shouldn't be any significant difference in the amount of bandwidth the Ooma device gets if it's after the router.

For the most flexibility and current capabilities I'd recommend a router with Gigabit WAN and four Gigabit LAN ports, and 802.11ac WiFi. I don't know what speed broadband you get from your cable company, but that modem is capable of over 300 Mb/Sec maximum, so someday you might have speeds over 100 Mb/Sec, and you need Gigabit WAN and LAN ports to take advantage of that.

Run one Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port, and plug the Ooma, and two computers into the LAN ports and you'll have one spare. If you ever need to plug in more devices then get a 5 or 8 port Gigabit switch and plug it into the remaining LAN port and you'll have 4 or 7 more ports for additional wired devices. And all devices can connect through WiFi too if coverage range is good.

There are lots of choices with these features, I don't really have a strong recommendation. I've personally been using an TP-Link Archer C7 because Microcenter was selling factory refurbished units for $40 making it the cheapest Gigabit/AC router I could find at the time.
Date: May 21, 2020 10:15AM
IMO, you should get whatever is easy to set up. We will do whatever we can to help but if there's someone in person that you know that might be easier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 271
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018