advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New Mac Mini 2020 is settling in to the daily routine
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: May 20, 2020 08:35AM
The mid-2010 iMac is boxed up and ready to be used for parts. I've made an arrangement with a local Mac-repair person. He gets the iMac in exchange for moving the third-party, internal SSD and 5TB hard drive to external cases. This will save me the cost of purchasing external enclosures and the hassle of trying to sell off the remaining bits in the midst of a pandemic. I would have probably just taken out the two drives myself and dropped the rest of the iMac off at a recycling center.

This has not been the smoothest transition. Although, for something done every ten years, I can't really complain. While the Mac Mini arrived on Thursday, the Dell 34" monitor did not get here until yesterday. I was making do with a borrowed monitor over the weekend.

Migration Assistant seems to have done a good job porting over the old operating system and applications that were Time Machined to an external drive from the SSD. The same Migration Assistant failed after two days of chugging along, trying to copy the data files from the same Time Machine drive from the internal, spinning drive to a new, external drive. After slowly (very slowly) "Preparing to Transfer..." over three-million files, Migration Assistant suddenly quit. I will use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the data files from the old, internal hard drive to the new, patiently-waiting, external hard drive. I will also need to re-think how to use Time Machine in the future.

The new operating system (Catalina 10.15.4) has broken Microsoft Office 2011, Adobe Creative Suite 5.5, Spell Catcher X, and some other programs that I haven't had time to explore and worry about. I'm hoping that I will be able to boot in to the older operating system on the soon-to-be-externally-housed, old SSD when I need to run these now-antiquated programs.

The old iMac was showing signs of age, and a certain grumpiness about updated operating systems. Not only was Preview running sluggishly, Spotlight was unable to search the local drives and had become useless. In retrospect, I probably should not have continued to upgrade the OS, in spite of concerns about new security patches. For most tasks, the old iMac still felt perky. Even some minor video projects were accomplished without noticing any painful delays.

The new Mac Mini does, indeed, feel faster. My wife and I both like the small footprint it takes on the desk. I don't yet have any USB-C devices to take advantage of those ports on the Mac Mini. An old, seven-port USB hub is doing okay at keeping the printer, keyboard, mouse, headphones, Time Machine external drive, and cable for iPod podcasts connected. I'm waiting to try out some large file transfers to notice the upgrade from USB 2 to USB 3. The new, Dell monitor also acts as a hub, so I feel comfortable about any possible, future expansion.

While I'm okay with booting in to the old operating system when I need to use Adobe Creative Suite, I would like to find a replacement for Spell Catcher X that runs on Catalina. More than the spell-catching, I frequently use the test-expander feature and need to find a good substitute.

The curved monitor was not hard to adjust to at all. I finally feel like this new computer-monitor combination (speed and screen size) are up to my new job of transitioning a paper-based school to some form of digital content—all while marking student assignments and staying in touch with students and colleagues. With this large screen I no longer feel cramped or have to hunt for buried windows.

Todd's still-the-same-old-but-doesn't-feel-like-it's-in-Kansas-anymore keyboard
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New Mac Mini 2020 is settling in to the daily routine
Posted by: PeterW
Date: May 20, 2020 08:47AM
You do know that your new mini cannot run any OS prior to Mojave, right?
Posted by: d4
Date: May 20, 2020 09:10AM
I'm shopping for a Mac Mini 2018/2020.
Do you mind posting the specs, price and retailer?

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 20, 2020 09:53AM
While I'm okay with booting in to the old operating system

Yes, that's going to be a problem, as in not possible.

Typically, a Mac can't boot into an OS older that the one installed, usually because of a firmware upgrade.

It seems the 2020 mini can boot into Mojave with a hoop or two to jump through.

I think you're out of luck with any OS older than that. I don't recall if you had a 'Book of any kind.

If you can't update your software, you're gonna need an older Mac.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 20, 2020 09:57AM
Depending on Todd's needs, he can use virtual machine, no?

RAMd®d

Typically, a Mac can't boot into an OS older that the one installed, usually because of a firmware upgrade.

I think you're out of luck with any OS older than that. I don't recall if you had a 'Book of any kind.

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: May 20, 2020 10:01AM
I’m sure you are aware MacOS includes the feature in a most basic approach, and there’s TextExpander, Typinator and Typeit4me, which seem to be popular.
Two things I’m strongly opinionated about:
I would only buy from the App Store because the potential for key logging and content transmission is huge. I appreciate both my right to privacy, as well as my intellectual property. I use this criteria and critical focus to each and every piece of software I install.
Modern computing is very different from 10 years ago. As much as I’d love to walk My good ol’ rut, I decided long ago I need to keep up to date with the OS. Whatever else has to go, it will end up being for my own good in the end.
This idea has made me try the native apps for MacOS, and I find they are pretty good!
YMMV, but at any rate, congrats on the new rig!...
Posted by: clay
Date: May 20, 2020 10:10AM
anonymouse1
Depending on Todd's needs, he can use virtual machine, no?

RAMd®d

Sure. I have a current version of Parallels running Mac OS 10.12, Windows 10, and Ubuntu linux. He should be able to run just about any recent-is Mac OS under Parallels.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: May 20, 2020 10:17AM
Thanks for feedback.

I was aware that it is not a given that this new computer would boot in to an older operating system. Guess I'll have to jump over that bridge when I come to it.

To be honest, I do my best to ignore the names that Apple assigns to operating systems. Would not be able to tell anyone the difference between High Sierra, Mojave, (was there some surf spot near Santa Cruz at some point).

One of the concessions to the pandemic is the border between the US and Canada is closed. Normally, I would have ordered everything from the US and had the items shipped to my cottage in Washington state. Urgency forced me to purchase all of the items from within Canada. (Slower shipping was one factor that has drawn this transfer out.) I bought the Mac Mini through Apple's Canadian education purchase program. Was disappointed that Dell did not offer any educational discount. (Well, a Dell salesperson did offer me $100 on a similar monitor that was not in stock. Didn't have time to wait.)

Yes, I still have an old 2011 MacBook Air for when I need to use any of the Adobe CS programs. I've reluctantly upgraded to Microsoft Office 365 through my employer.

I'm very reluctant to use software on a subscription basis so am looking out for more permanent solutions to use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and InDesign.

thanks again, Todd's newer, more sprightly keyboard
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 20, 2020 12:27PM
The 2018 Mac Mini can run OS 10.14 (which gets you Office 2011 and Adobe CS amongst other older 32-bit apps) but you're going to need an install of that beforehand and I assume your 2010 iMac wasn't running it. There are ways of getting that external HD to OS 10.14 to get CS5.5 and Office 2011 working using your 2011 MBAir.

Boot the Air from the external, download the OS 10.14 standalone installer from Apple, install it on the External, then you should be able to boot the 2018 Mini from the 10.14.6 external. You may need to turn off some security on the Mini first to enable boot from external, an online search should clear that up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 12:29PM by Lew Zealand.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 20, 2020 12:36PM
Sorry it was such an ordeal.

I moved my 2014 iMac internal from Sierra (10.12) to an external catalina a few weeks ago using TM. Painless. Only a couple of passwords to enter. (everything else handeled by 1 password)

Maybe took 45 minutes.

Although I had the advantage of USB 3 (you were stuck with USB 2) and only about 500 GB to transfer.

My TM stays.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 366
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018