advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Canadian Armed Forces’ 'Snowbird' crashes during tribute flyover
Posted by: jonny
Date: May 20, 2020 01:23PM
As two jets took off from an airport in British Columbia on Sunday morning, one suddenly peeled away from its partner. The plane turned sharply up and banked left off its course before flipping into a nose dive and spinning as it dropped from the sky.

The CT-114 Tutor belonged to the Canadian Forces’ Snowbirds, a demonstration squadron of jets that perform air shows akin to the U.S. Navy’s Blue Angels, which had been flying across Canada in a tribute to front-line coronavirus workers. The demonstration to boost morale and support first responders, nurses, doctors and others turned deadly as the jet crashed Sunday, killing a crew member, seriously injuring the pilot and setting a nearby house ablaze.

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
One dead after Canadian Snowbirds aircraft crashes into home in British Columbia
Posted by: DP
Date: May 18, 2020 07:48AM
At least one person was killed and another seriously injured Sunday when a Canadian Forces Snowbirds aircraft crashed in Kamloops, British Columbia, according to the Royal Canadian Air Force.

"It is with heavy hearts that we announce that one member of the CF Snowbirds team has died and one has sustained serious injuries," the RCAF said on Twitter, adding that more information would be available shortly.

Capt. Jennifer Casey was identified as the deceased victim. She was the team's public affairs officer, according to a press release from the National Defence Canadian Armed Forces.

"To the family of Captain Jenn Casey we send our condolences, know that she was an inspiration to many and she will be missed," said Gen. Jonathan Vance, Chief of the Defence Staff for the Canadian Armed Forces.

Capt. Richard MacDougall, the pilot of the aircraft, was injured in the crash and is being treated for his injuries, the Canadian Armed Forces release said.

The team -- comprising members of the Canadian Armed Forces and National Defence Public Service Employees -- kicked off a cross-country tour May 2 to honor "Canadians doing their part to fight the spread of Covid-19," according to a statement on its website.

[www.cnn.com]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Re: One dead after Canadian Snowbirds aircraft crashes into home in British Columbia
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 18, 2020 09:20AM
Those planes are freakin' ancient...when they came to our local airfield they were also carrying a mechanic for each plane.
Re: One dead after Canadian Snowbirds aircraft crashes into home in British Columbia
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 18, 2020 09:33AM
Bill in NC
Those planes are freakin' ancient...when they came to our local airfield they were also carrying a mechanic for each plane.

I’d bet when such performance-team aircraft are brand new they also have “a mechanic for each plane.”
Date: May 18, 2020 10:56AM
DeusxMac
Bill in NC

I’d bet when such performance-team aircraft are brand new they also have “a mechanic for each plane.”

At the time we saw them they were flying 50+ year old planes (now almost 60 years old) and joked with us that they always had at least one plane that couldn't perform when scheduled so they always brought a spare.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 10:57AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 18, 2020 01:09PM
There was another incident last October when a Snowbird pilot ejected before his plane crashed at an air show in Atlanta.

CTVnews

Northern California Coast
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 18, 2020 02:17PM

I'd assume the Blue Angles and Thunderbirds do the same or very similar.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 18, 2020 03:40PM
Tragedy, wonder why they couldnt eject in time.

FWIW, the F16 first flight was 46 years ago.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 18, 2020 04:47PM

I talked to some fighter jocks at NAS Alameda years back, through six degrees of acquaintance.

I don't know how prevalent the belief is, but they said they couldn't/wouldn't punch if their plane was going into a community or civilian residence.

'It just wouldn't be right.'

Not that any of them had to make that choice, but it's something they said.

Bravado? It didn't feel like it. I believe they believed it and meant it.

Maybe that's what happened here, maybe they though they could pull it out (pilot error), or mechanical error.

A tragedy yes, less so because of no civilian casualties, from what I've read so far.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 18, 2020 10:43PM
Thing is it was all unnecessary.

Seems like various air units are competing with each other. Here in SoCal we had not only the Navy but also USAF and state National Guard flyovers.

Guess it beats staying at home with the family.
Date: May 19, 2020 06:07AM
Guess it beats staying at home with the family.

Yeah, sure, that must be why they do it.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 19, 2020 06:35AM
And the necessity of so many competing units is, what?
Date: May 19, 2020 06:19PM
RAMd®d

I talked to some fighter jocks at NAS Alameda years back, through six degrees of acquaintance.

I don't know how prevalent the belief is, but they said they couldn't/wouldn't punch if their plane was going into a community or civilian residence.

'It just wouldn't be right.'

Not that any of them had to make that choice, but it's something they said.

Bravado? It didn't feel like it. I believe they believed it and meant it.

Maybe that's what happened here, maybe they though they could pull it out (pilot error), or mechanical error.

A tragedy yes, less so because of no civilian casualties, from what I've read so far.

This Marine pilot appears to have done that (rode it down):

"He was credited with maneuvering his F/A-18 fighter jet away from homes as he crashed after taking off, according to local reports."

[news.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 06:20PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 20, 2020 01:59PM
I did some work with/for Martin Baker a number of years ago. They make most of the ejection seats for NATO aircraft. Worked on stabilization hardware to stabilize, upright and slow down the pilot/seat when punching out at Mach 1 or higher.

Anyway, you punch out, your spine compresses several inches. Usually the disks flatten, and sometimes shift. Frequently there are other injuries. Lifetime back issues are a risk. It's a real life or death decision with never ending health issues for the survivor . Martin Baker presents you a special necktie to commemorate your survival. In the military flying community it means you have joined the club.

There is a Russian test pilot that punched out twice at one of the European expos the same week, maybe the Paris Airshow. One crazy guy.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Re: Canadian Armed Forces’ 'Snowbird' crashes during tribute flyover
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 20, 2020 02:06PM
It's really hard to justify these $60k+ flyovers when there are people in lines blocks long waiting for a food distribution.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 20, 2020 02:14PM
I’m confused, why am I seeing this thread at the top of the list again? I feel like I’m having déjà vu all over again.
Date: May 20, 2020 02:18PM
my question too.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 20, 2020 03:05PM
Me three.

Northern California Coast
Date: May 20, 2020 03:23PM
If you look at the original post's date, it is today, but first reply was the 18th, which was Monday. Database hiccup I suppose.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 20, 2020 03:50PM
My guess is that one of the mods combined the two threads.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 20, 2020 05:14PM
"I’d bet when such performance-team aircraft are brand new they also have “a mechanic for each plane.”

They're MUCH more likely to have a maintenance crew for EACH aircraft as opposed to just one mechanic.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 20, 2020 09:48PM
testcase
"I’d bet when such performance-team aircraft are brand new they also have “a mechanic for each plane.”

They're MUCH more likely to have a maintenance crew for EACH aircraft as opposed to just one mechanic.

Indeed! My point exactly.
Posted by: mrp-admin
Date: May 21, 2020 09:31AM
Exactly what happened.

Rick-o
My guess is that one of the mods combined the two threads.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020