advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
May I recommend this deal? 1-Year of The Economist Magazine (51-Issues, Print or Digital) $47.99
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 20, 2020 02:24PM
1-Year of The Economist Magazine (51-Issues, Print or Digital) $47.99
[slickdeals.net]
Appears in my mailbox with news that's like 36 hours old and plenty of economic, social and financial analysis on countries around the world. China, U.S. Asia, Africa, Americas, they get the whole thing. Fantastic illustrations, witty headlines and interesting columnists as well.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: May I recommend this deal? 1-Year of The Economist Magazine (51-Issues, Print or Digital) $47.99
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 20, 2020 02:28PM
FORTY SEVEN DOLLARS?!?!?! Do I look like Jeff Bezos???

Re: May I recommend this deal? 1-Year of The Economist Magazine (51-Issues, Print or Digital) $47.99
Date: May 20, 2020 02:34PM
That's off the regular $179 price. They do a REALLY good job. It takes a few-5 days to get through it. No kiddie features, NO up-close and personal. Just intelligent economic news and analysis.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 20, 2020 02:35PM
Thanks Steve, I’ve heard from more than one source this is a really good magazine.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: May 20, 2020 02:36PM
That is a really good deal. 75% off the current discount subscription through Amazon. I subscribed once before for a similar price on a Black Friday sale. One of the better researched and written magazines out there IMHO (it has a wide variety of topics, not just economics).

I just used the discount to renew. I have used discountmags.com for years with no problem. It's nice that on the checkout page you can choose to have it be a single year non-renewed subscription, or lock in a renewing subscription at the discount price.

Athens, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 02:46PM by archipirata.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 20, 2020 03:27PM
Be warned: You'll be hooked and be paying the $179 a year.

That said I'm more than happy to pay it as I read the Espresso daily summary on my iPhone every day and enjoy the mag every week. I used to get and read a lot of mags each week/month. Now only one gets read regularly - The Economist.
Posted by: dad@home
Date: May 20, 2020 03:36PM
This is the best news magazine being published.
Highly recommended.

John

For some must watch, while some must sleep
So runs the world away
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 20, 2020 04:05PM
It's like the Wall Street Journal--the news portion is excellent; the editorial commentary is....well, my commentary belongs on the other side. Let's just say "unduly conservative".
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 20, 2020 04:35PM
anonymouse1
It's like the Wall Street Journal--the news portion is excellent; the editorial commentary is....well, my commentary belongs on the other side. Let's just say "unduly conservative".

No shade on either side or any slight against yourself, but I really thought you were going "unduly liberal." I find their editorial slant to be on the non conservative side and I'm not conservative. And I've heard conservative sites slam it for being too liberal. Maybe I'm choosing the articles that slant the other way and I certainly don't read the whole thing every week. Food for thought.
Date: May 20, 2020 05:25PM
Lew Zealand
Be warned: You'll be hooked and be paying the $179 a year.

That said I'm more than happy to pay it as I read the Espresso daily summary on my iPhone every day and enjoy the mag every week. I used to get and read a lot of mags each week/month. Now only one gets read regularly - The Economist.

You can lock in the renewal price with this subscription. I've been subscribing for a few years now and never paid more than $49.
Date: May 20, 2020 05:27PM
Lew Zealand
anonymouse1

No shade on either side or any slight against yourself, but I really thought you were going "unduly liberal." I find their editorial slant to be on the non conservative side and I'm not conservative. And I've heard conservative sites slam it for being too liberal. Maybe I'm choosing the articles that slant the other way and I certainly don't read the whole thing every week. Food for thought.

I know enough to spot the little biases which may pop up. Doesn't bother me, I don't expect perfection and also have the long view on any particular story they are reporting.
Posted by: davester
Date: May 20, 2020 05:30PM
Lew Zealand
anonymouse1

They are definitely substantially on the conservative side. It's important to note that they are on the rational spectrum of conservative, not the crazy wing nut end of the spectrum which has become so in vogue for the last few years.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 21, 2020 04:24AM
davester
:::snip:::
They are definitely substantially on the conservative side. It's important to note that they are on the rational spectrum of conservative, not the crazy wing nut end of the spectrum which has become so in vogue for the last few years.

So in other words, they are quite the liberal, leftist, fake media rag. smiley12

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: stephen
Date: May 26, 2020 08:54PM
I went for it. I wonder if the digital subscription will integrate with Apple News+.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020