advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
09 Corolla idle is shaky, And finally got the P0301
Posted by: Microman
Date: May 20, 2020 05:10PM
I know the P0301 says there is a misfire in cylinder 1.

Cylinder 1 is where I had a bad COIL, 7 months ago.

When I got another, I moved #2 to the #1 position and the new coil to #2.

All was good for 7 months.

2 Weeks ago I was feeling that little shake at a stop sign, as I knew something was going on. And yesterday I did get the CEL (Check engine light) to get the code P0301

I got the car when it had 123,000 miles on, it and now it has 164,000 miles on it. So I am not sure how many miles on these plugs.

But how do they look?, I will probably replace them, as I believe this is a first step in tuning up this situation.

I have added Fuel Injection cleaner over the past few years... so hopefully the fuel injectors aren't the problem...

ANd I am not sure if a COIL can go bad just little, The last time as described the car was not firing on all 4 cylinders, just 3, I am sure...

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 09 Corolla idle is shaky, And finally got the P0301
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: May 20, 2020 05:53PM
That plug doesn't look too bad but the gap seems pretty wide. It's been a long time since I've changed any spark plugs. Do modern plugs need to be gapped or are they good out of the box? I'm interested because I'm probably going to be installing new plugs before long in my 2011 Camry with about 130,000 miles on it.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: May 20, 2020 07:15PM
most new cars have a hotter spark . Gap is enormous compared to late 70's early 80's auto .
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 20, 2020 07:59PM
Replace the plugs. Move the coil from #1 to #4. Reset codes and see what happens.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 21, 2020 01:18AM
What C( - )ris said.
If that doesn’t work to identify a bad coil, you might have (in no particular order)
.....low pressure on fuel injectors (clogged injector, clogged fuel filter, failing fuel pump)
....bad computer, I’ve had a couple die on me.
....blown head gasket, (low compression) happened to my sisters Nissan recently.
.... failing timing chain/stretched
.... list continues.

Edit: as far as coils going bad / partially bad. I had one start going at 95k, then another, I decided to replace the rest on my v6 instead of waiting for the rest to fail one by one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 01:25AM by Carm.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 21, 2020 12:15PM
If a coil goes bad on a 4 cylinder engine, you will know it, it will be more than a little shaky. it's probably not that if it's still bearable. but, I agree on swapping the coils and see if you get a different code for a different cylinder.

could be a gunked up injector. throttle body will also throw a code if it's really gunked up. also, plugs are cheap, change those.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 21, 2020 02:10PM
I'd at least look at a new plug in the auto store.

See if you can find a spec for the plug gap.

It looks huge, but it electronic ignitions have allowed for larger gaps over the years for a bigger arc/spark

The plug looks like it's burning a little on the lean side.

Lean is typical for energy efficiency, but I don't know if that's leaner than normal. Check the other plugs to get an idea.

Spark plugs in modern cars, for some years now, have been good for up to 100,000mi in a properly running vehicle.

If you don't know when they were last replaced, or if they have ever been replaced, it wouldn't be a bad thing to replace them regardless.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 160
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018