advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What type of bulk ethernet cable?
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 20, 2020 08:39PM
I bought a house, there is plenty of COAX going everywhere, starting from a closet and going to 8 different places, and I saw more 2:1 splitters in a few other places. Honestly I am not sure why there are so many coax cables, but that makes MoCA very interesting possibility.

But I am also thinking about Ethernet. Question; what kind of cables do I want: Cat 6, Cat 6A, solid vs stranded copper, (no Aluminum, thanks), what gauge?

I have a NAS with 2 posts, 3 Mac Mini, Gigabit routers, Apple TV and Roku, some laptops, printers, etc. Nothing over 1 Gbps as far as I know.

I have Verizon FiOS at 200 Mbps, I may upgrade to 400 or 1000 at some point if I feel I need more speed.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 08:56PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What type of bulk ethernet cable?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 20, 2020 08:45PM
Cat 6 and Cat 6A are each manufactured to specific standards that take most of those decisions out of your hands. As a result, you can expect all Cat 6/6A cable to be 23AWG solid copper conductor cable.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 08:46PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 20, 2020 08:48PM
Cat 6 should be fine, honestly though, other than for APs and Security Cameras I don't know why you would need ethernet runs. Everything else runs on wireless.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: May 20, 2020 08:55PM
you may be right, but I would rather spend $130 and have 1000 feet of bulk cable sitting idle in the basement and make my own custom length cable whenever I want than deal with cables that are too long and difficult to manage.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 20, 2020 09:02PM
I am about 9 months ahead of you. I hope you make progress on this faster than I have.

I found these guys on amazon but ordered directly from them - [www.truecable.com]

I went with Cat6a. It'll cost about $200 for 1,000 feet but its good for 10Gb up to 100 meters.

IMO, if you put a dollar amount on your time its worth it to spend a little bit more to future proof.

And wall plates / connectors from monoprice.

Date: May 20, 2020 09:13PM
Thanks.

they seem to have some articles that I hope to clarify what riser means, what differences does it make if I get shielded vs unshielded, etc.
Posted by: clay
Date: May 20, 2020 09:18PM
I've been very happy with my experiences with products from Firefold: [www.firefold.com] I think maybe they were recommended here by someone who lives close to their NC facility. Better pricing than what I've seen with mono price, at least when I last checked.

FWIW, I went with Cat6 when I wired my house 4 years ago. Put a minimum of 2 drops in every room where I ran it. There are a few runs that are in constant use, and another half dozen or so that I use quite frequently for a variety of reasons.

If it's something you want, the cost of the cable, wall plates and connectors is not a significant expense compared to many other things. I'm glad I have it in our house, and it has been very useful in my situation.

good luck
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 20, 2020 09:25PM
1:WIRED connections will always be more secure and handle data faster than wireless connections.
2:The best time to run cables would be when walls are open.
3:As the OP has mentioned, being able to make your own jumper cables EXACTLY in the length you need is a definite plus.
4:Re splitters, every time a signal is split, it degrades at least a little bit. "Home Runs" are more work but, they are ideal. Generally, the best cables currently available will be very viable for 10+ years. If you run the cables inside conduit, years from now, it will be relatively easy to run whatever "golly~gee~wiz" newfangled cables become available.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 20, 2020 09:25PM
mattkime
I am about 9 months ahead of you. I hope you make progress on this faster than I have.

I found these guys on amazon but ordered directly from them - [www.truecable.com]

I went with Cat6a. It'll cost about $200 for 1,000 feet but its good for 10Gb up to 100 meters.

IMO, if you put a dollar amount on your time its worth it to spend a little bit more to future proof.

And wall plates / connectors from monoprice.

I just finished burying conduit and getting network jacks in the garage for an AP and a pair of security cameras. I have at least 1 data jack in every room now.

Basements and attics are your friend for getting cables into walls.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 20, 2020 09:33PM
space-time
Thanks.

they seem to have some articles that I hope to clarify what riser means, what differences does it make if I get shielded vs unshielded, etc.

Consider the use of Cat 6A cable. Throughput for 802.11ax WAPs/routers will regularly exceed 1 Gbps and the theoretical top end maxes out at 10 Gbps. That will come a little bit down the road, but you definitely want your cabling to outlast your router. Cat 6 will support 10 Gbps throughput, but only up to about 50 meter or so cable length -- Cat 6A supports 10 Gbps for the entire 100 meter channel length.

"Riser" refers to a vertical pathway within a structure, whereas "plenum" refers to a return air space above a false ceiling. Code does not permit the use of riser-rated cable in a plenum space.

Unless you have one or more areas in your home subject to high levels of electromagnetic interference (EMI), unshielded should be good enough for home use.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 09:35PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 20, 2020 09:42PM
Discussions like these make me realize how lucky I am to be able to have fully wireless everything.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 21, 2020 06:13AM
jdc
Discussions like these make me realize how lucky I am to be able to have fully wireless everything.

ignorance is bliss
Posted by: d4
Date: May 21, 2020 07:19AM
It took a global pandemic to finally use the ethernet cable (5e) I installed upstairs 6 years ago. Wife and I both started working from home. I use the office on the first floor. Wife uses a corner of the MBR upstairs. Video conferencing is smoother and she can print to the Brother printer via ethernet.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 21, 2020 01:39PM
Wireless is great when it works well.

There are vagaries that make some wireless networks less than rock steady.

If one has the opportunity, time, and money to run ethernet, it seems almost silly to me, not to.

Do it once, and it's likely a trouble free solution for the life of the cable.

If there's a problem, one can reasonably eliminate wiring as the problem.

And the fewer wireless devices on a network, the happier the network is.

No worries about passwords, new wireless standards, router locations for best signal, etc.

What works best for any home network is the best choice.

But I don't see wireless as a hands down superior answer or standard.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 21, 2020 05:12PM
space-time
jdc

ignorance is bliss

Indeed. And maybe it really should be "anymore".

From early 90s to early 2010s I owned my own design studio... before wireless existed. a half dozen macs, printers, storage (including apple talk!) all networked by me. I remember my first 1000BT switch... $100 a port. Epson stylus PROs, HP4MV, 5MP, yea.

Now my small 1800 SF house is all wireless... so simple. Nary a problem in the last 10 years. 4 iPhones, 3 iPads, 4 iMacs, 2 MBPs, 4 smartTVs, 2 wireless cable boxes and 2 wireless printers (plus wireless garage door, outlets, RING) -- truly fire and forget. never a slowdown. 55/15 ATT.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 05:16PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 254
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018