The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Poll: Why or why not buy DVD/Blu-Ray
Posted by: Jerry®
Date: May 21, 2020 03:36PM
Poll
Why/why not buy DVD/Blu-Ray?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
42 votes were received.
I buy discs and then upload them to stream across my devices 5

12%
I don't trust streaming services 3

7%
It's always best to have a physical copy even if I were to stream 13

31%
I have stopped buying DVDs and only use streaming services now 15

36%
Other: (in comments) 6

14%

Just a question

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 03:38PM by Jerry®.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Poll: Why or why not buy DVD/Blu-Ray
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 21, 2020 03:45PM
Sometimes the cheapest way to get a digital copy is to buy a disc + digital version.
Posted by: clay
Date: May 21, 2020 03:59PM
Gareth
Sometimes the cheapest way to get a digital copy is to buy a disc + digital version.

Yup, and you can create your own digital version from physical media that is unencumbered by DRM schemes that limit how you can view your files both now and in the future.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 21, 2020 04:01PM
I often do NOT have a connection with sufficient bandwidth for smooth streaming (a condition that exists in MANY parts of the U.S.). I also have a STRONG preference for DVDs over Blu-Ray disks (DVD drives "just work"). I've had too many Blu-Ray drives that froze up and required an internet connection to download and install additional software / firmware before they would work. DVDs are ALWAYS less expensive than the same movie on a Blu-Ray disk. Many years ago, I had a Sony Viao laptop that had a built in Blu-Ray player. FAR more problems with that Blu-Ray drive that I ever had with ALL of the many DVD players / burners I've owned over many years. I get the impression that Sony corporate thinks their poop is vanilla ice cream that people should be willing to overpay to own Sony products regardless as to whether it's a superior product or not.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 21, 2020 04:05PM
This really is a difficult situation. When DRM was removed from music I started purchasing all of my music from the iTunes store so it is all legitimately owned. But since all movies and tv shows still have DRM I am reluctant to spend money on a format that I will just have to repurchase again down the road. Streaming is great but the constant dance of figuring out which service has the content I want only to have it disappear next week is too much of a hassle.
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 21, 2020 04:10PM
What clay said.
I went digital streaming route (Movies Anywhere, Vudu, iTunes, Google Play, Amazon) recently. A lot of my movies had digital codes so I went the easy route with those movies. We still have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu was added with Disney combo after we dumped cable. I have some movies that I transferred from DVD on Plex server. This was a long time ago. I have only transferred 2 Blu ray movies. Looking at backing up some more titles I don’t wish to pay $14+ for digital code. Currently have over 600 on Movies Anywhere digital locker and Vudu has more because of studios not participating in Movies Anywhere linking. My Plex server has about 40 movies.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 21, 2020 04:14PM
I dont need to see the same movie/tv show more than one time?

Or lets say the new Top Gun is coming out... and we decide to watch the original first... $3 to rent... we're done.

Im 100% in the "I dont get it" camp of peeps with hundreds of discs or TBs & TBs of digital movies. confused smiley

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 04:16PM by jdc.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 21, 2020 04:15PM
I just rent DVDs from Netflix.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 21, 2020 04:19PM
.....be careful.....only buy DVD or Blu-ray if you know you will rewatch something again and again.....otherwise, many buy because they like it and then never watch it again.....it sits on shelf wasting money and space......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 21, 2020 04:22PM
jdc

Or lets say the new Top Gun is coming out... and we decide to watch the original first... $3 to rent... we're done.
We have kids and we have movies they haven’t seen. Recycle the movies we have and add to the list. Reddit has r/DigitalCodeSell codes range from 1 - $20 (Scoob) is currently $25 on Vudu to own.

Newton, having them available in Digital makes them “seen only once less likely”.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 04:25PM by Carm.
Posted by: d4
Date: May 21, 2020 04:40PM
If you buy used from somewhere like Family Video where prices are DVD/$5 and Blu-Ray/$7 it's cheaper than going to the movie theater and you own the content. So even if you watch it once, you'll still be ahead when compared to watching it in the movie theater.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 21, 2020 04:41PM
Put your discs on the For Sale forum for trade. Trade one-for-one. The traders pay the postage to ship their discs. The trade is permanent enabling the recipients to watch once or as many times as they wish and then trade again.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 21, 2020 04:42PM
d4
If you buy used from somewhere like Family Video where prices are DVD/$5 and Blu-Ray/$7 it's cheaper than going to the movie theater and you own the content. So even if you watch it once, you'll still be ahead when compared to watching it in the movie theater.

Our Family Video went out of business. We could get two movies for a buck.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: May 21, 2020 04:56PM
d4
So even if you watch it once, you'll still be ahead when compared to watching it in the movie theater.

But thats not the question.

----

Posted by: hal
Date: May 21, 2020 05:06PM
jdc

Im 100% in the "I dont get it" camp of peeps with hundreds of discs or TBs & TBs of digital movies. confused smiley

I used to run a video store back in the 80s and I certainly noticed that there are two types of video watchers: those that have favorites that they like to watch over and over and those that do NOT and I was never able to find any formula to predict who would be one or the other.
Posted by: fauch
Date: May 21, 2020 05:10PM
I don't own a working DVD player... The only CD player I have left is in my car...
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 21, 2020 05:27PM
jdc

That would be me. If it's a good movie that I like, I can watch it over and over. Especially if I haven't seen it in awhile. I always see stuff I hadn't the first go round. Plus, being old, I'm getting quite forgetful. smiley-shocked003

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 21, 2020 06:01PM
streaming or our county library has an amazing catalog.
Which is closed right now ... unfortunately.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 21, 2020 06:50PM
We stream everything at home. We moved the BluRay upstairs to the yoga room and use DVDs there.

We also have a BluRay player in our camper van and keep a few DVDs in there for times where we are in a noisy campground and want to relax. That player can also stream if were someplace with service, like a family members driveway.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 21, 2020 08:27PM
I used to buy and now I stream. I'm currently going through our rather large collection of movies and choosing which to keep forever and which to unload. I'm just getting to the "C's" and I'm unloading about half at this point.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: May 21, 2020 08:49PM
rentals only here...mainly redbox or Discount Drug Mart. Watch it once and done.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 21, 2020 11:52PM
testcase
I often do NOT have a connection with sufficient bandwidth for smooth streaming (a condition that exists in MANY parts of the U.S.). I also have a STRONG preference for DVDs over Blu-Ray disks (DVD drives "just work"). I've had too many Blu-Ray drives that froze up and required an internet connection to download and install additional software / firmware before they would work.

My experience is just the opposite. I have nearly 500 discs in my Blu-ray library and, until recently, ever owned only one BR player, a Sony PlayStation 3 purchased in 2006. In the twelve years I used the PS3 to watch BR movies, I never -- not even once -- experienced difficulty of any sort, technical or otherwise, when playing a movie.

I still own the PS3 and it still works 100% fine. However, a couple of years back I purchase an Oppo 4K Blu-ray player to go with my 4K TV and it is now the only player I used for movie playback. As with the PS3, I have never experienced even a single instance of having a problem playing a movie on this machine, be it DVD, Blu-ray or 4K Blu-ray.

Oh, and to answer the original question: I am a BIG believer in owning physical media, for two reasons primarily: 1) superior audio and image quality over the streaming version of a given film; and 2) no DRM. Ever.

It is what it is.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 11:59PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: May 21, 2020 11:53PM
fauch
I don't own a working DVD player... The only CD player I have left is in my car...

Just thought about that... we have never owned a BR player... and the only DVD players we have are in my kids 2012 MBPs (never used for as long as we have owned them) and a 2010 iMac... which hasnt been used in years and years and years.

If someone gave me a BR disc... we would have no way to watch

----

Posted by: d4
Date: May 22, 2020 06:55AM
Michael
I used to buy and now I stream. I'm currently going through our rather large collection of movies and choosing which to keep forever and which to unload. I'm just getting to the "C's" and I'm unloading about half at this point.

Where are you unloading them and at what prices are you able to move them at? Any chance at giving MRF members first dibs on the ForSale side?

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 22, 2020 07:20AM
I just buy codes from the various online sites and use them on Vudu/iTunes/etc.

Or buy a used one and use disc-to-digital in Vudu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 07:20AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 22, 2020 09:58AM
"Virtual property" always bothers me. Because it can disappear without recourse.

But.. I have enough junk around the house. So I will wait until a film comes out on Netflix.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 22, 2020 10:27AM
I have a decent home theatre systemthat I finally pieced all together (like everything with me, it's legacy) and I find that the audio just cannot compare with the digital stream. Or maybe it's just my slower connection. Plus, I often pick up discs at library sales for a buck. And others seem content to give them away. And there's always the library!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 22, 2020 01:57PM
mrbigstuff
I have a decent home theatre systemthat I finally pieced all together (like everything with me, it's legacy) and I find that the audio just cannot compare with the digital stream.

I am continually disappointed by streaming video codecs, where the dark shadows and gradients that should appear smooth always seem to fall apart into big chunks of the same color.

mrbigstuff
And there's always the library!

Ha- except when there's not!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 22, 2020 02:04PM
d4
Michael

Where are you unloading them and at what prices are you able to move them at? Any chance at giving MRF members first dibs on the ForSale side?

I have a bunch of Blu-rays for sale I’ve been thinking of listing on the FS side. DM me if you’re interested.

It is what it is.
Posted by: rz
Date: May 22, 2020 06:04PM
N-OS X-tasy!

Oh, and to answer the original question: I am a BIG believer in owning physical media, for two reasons primarily: 1) superior audio and image quality over the streaming version of a given film; and 2) no DRM. Ever.

Gotta agree with that. Same reason I kept all of my CDs after ripping them. Sure, I can listen to them on iTunes, but sometimes I like to hear them on my stereo.
Posted by: rz
Date: May 22, 2020 06:06PM
Also meant to mention that pawn shops are a great place to buy movies. Local one has single DVDs for $0.50 each, or less if you buy a bunch. Blu Rays start at $3 usually, but I've been able to get them cheaper if I ask.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: May 22, 2020 07:10PM
Spiderman---- Far From Home ----AMAZON

DVD $14.99
Blu-ray $16.99
Stream $14.99

Spiderman---- Far From Home ----ITUNES $14.99

They upset me with their pricing and I still can not rent it.

I get a lot of hard copies

Spiderman---- Far From Home ---EBAY ----$9.21 total

Just bought another hard copy.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 23, 2020 08:56AM
I don't usually re-watch a movie unless I'm flipping channels. There is just too much to watch.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 156
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018