advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
good news?!.....'Some Good News' here to stay.....coming to 'CBS All Access'.......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 21, 2020 05:51PM
....John Krasinski working on deal with ViacomCBS on 'CBS All Access' [ you have to pay ].......for weekly show.....he probably won't be host of the show but will produce.....

John Krasinski's Some Good News in the Works as Weekly CBS All Access Series

.....John Krasinski‘s feel-good web series might be on hiatus, but he still has Some Good News to share: Krasinski is in advanced negotiations with ViacomCBS on a deal that would bring Some Good News content to the company’s various platforms.

The potential pact would include a weekly Some Good News series, expected to be available on CBS All Access. Krasinski, however, would not host the new show as he’s done on his YouTube channel, though he will executive-produce and likely have a recurring on-air presence. Additionally, short-form SGN content will be created for various ViacomCBS outlets, including CBS News.

“Could not be more excited and proud to be partnering with CBS/Viacom to be able to bring Some Good News to so many more people,” Krasinski said in a statement to multiple outlets, including our sister site Variety. “From the first episode, our goal was to create a news show dedicated entirely to good news. Never did I expect to be joining the ranks of such a historic news organization as CBS.”

Created by Krasinski and his producing partner Allyson Seeger, Some Good News launched on YouTube in late March, during the pandemic-prompted quarantine, in an effort to share uplifting stories. Among the buzziest episodes were an Office reunion with Krasinski’s co-star Steve Carell (followed by the cast’s recreation of Jim and Pam’s wedding dance), a virtual prom for high school seniors missing out on their big dance, a surprise Hamilton performance from the original Broadway cast and more. The final YouTube episode dropped on May 17.

good news......to come........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 05:56PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: good news?!.....'Some Good News' here to stay.....coming to 'CBS All Access'.......
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 21, 2020 07:17PM
It will loose the essence of what makes it great. Having it filmed in John's house while Emily walks around in the background with the kids screaming is part of what makes it great.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Re: good news?!.....'Some Good News' here to stay.....coming to 'CBS All Access'.......
Posted by: bik
Date: May 21, 2020 07:34PM
ztirffritz
It will loose the essence of what makes it great. Having it filmed in John's house while Emily walks around in the background with the kids screaming is part of what makes it great.

Yes. And having become something that someone wants to make a buck off of, rather than something JK just did because the world needed (lowercase) some good news really changes the perspective.

If CBS had some decency, they'd make this part of their programming truly accessible to all - not just those who want to subscribe to their service.

Good for JK, making a buck. But it's a bit disingenuous of him to say they're going "to be able to bring Some Good News to so many more people," on CBS All Access instead of YouTube.

Now it's clear why there was a very sudden announcement about the last episode.

Not really begrudging JK, but this doesn't really feel like SGN.
Monetizing this nice idea feels more like more of the same old news.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 21, 2020 08:58PM
Definitely not good news moving to a paid network...and Krasinski did really make the show.

I will make zero effort to find it or watch it now.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 21, 2020 09:40PM
I suspect YouTube will be overflowing with a moderate amount of positive information following this announcement.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 22, 2020 03:44AM

and

And having become something that someone wants to make a buck off of, rather than something JK just did because the world needed (lowercase) some good news really changes the perspective.

Agreed.

His presentations were very heartfelt, and i doubt I'll get that warm, fuzzy, misty feeling again, from CBS.

I think this will be very similar to James Corden's Carpool Karaoke being taken over.

After seeing a few, it just wasn't nearly as good as his versions.

We'll probably never know what Krasinski's part of the deal is.

He made SGN as far as I'm concerned.

I should hold off until seeing a few episodes before engraving a headstone.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 22, 2020 04:57AM
I can't see pop stars, whether film, music or theater stepping up to do something like the Hamilton performance to a sweet child. If CBS and SGN are going to profit, then why shouldn't the stars profit as well?

I don't think it's going to last. It's not the kind of show that will handle commercial breaks and gain a large enough audience that will faithfully watch it. Unless the reason it's going on CBS All Access is that it will be commercial-free.

Also, a Youtube audience is one thing, a sit-down TV watching audience is something else.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: d4
Date: May 22, 2020 06:48AM
Instead of begrudging Krasinski the opportunity to make a buck now, I thank him for bringing a smile to my face when the days were bleak. And for lifting my spirits when the days were really bleak.

Good luck in getting celebrities to go on the show with no obvious promotional agenda. And regular people to contribute content for nothing other than maybe 7 seconds of screentime. The obvious corporate formula is to now maybe offer a prize for the best weekly contributor to keep the submissions coming.

Now in its 3rd shelter in place month in the US, the pandemic won't last forever. If Krasinski wants to make a buck off of it, now is the time. It's not like it was going to go on forever. It takes a lot of dedication to keep do this on a regular basis for free. Even though it looks charmingly un-produced and off the cuff. It takes days of work to put a segment together from scratch.

Posted by: wurm
Date: May 22, 2020 07:30AM
I agree that it will definitely lose something. You could tell those celebrity guest shots (DeNiro's weather forecast, the Hamilton cast appearance etc.) were done as favors for Krasinski, I'm sure. What made it special was the "genuineness" of it all. The beauty of it was the amateur set, the marginal quality audio and video, the imperfectness of it all.

And yes, JK is an excellent actor, but you can't tell me those weren't real tears welling up in his eyes in episode 8. It won't be nearly the same.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 22, 2020 09:48AM
bleh. I agree with everything above.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 23, 2020 09:07AM
Given CBSAA track record with Star Trek, I expect a lot of F-bombs, darkness, dreariness and pandering to certain audiences who have never watched SGN, plus they will say this is what SGN always was, and everything else doesn't really count plus the new Hostess will always be right and at least one step ahead of everyone else!

Thanks to you JK for the 8 great episodes, You warmed my heart, although I think my allergies kicked in once in a while...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 241
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018